• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon - (and beyond) Discussion (spoilers allowed)

If I actually had to line them up by ranked episode it probably wouldnt be top 5. So a bit of an exaggeration. But I would probably still have it in top 10-15. I think people tend to forget that a lot of the big moments in GoT happen in the same episodes. The show tends to give you 4-5 plodding episodes and then hit you with 15 big moments in one episode only to plod a bit again.

For this reason a lot of lists I see tend to have some combo of "Battle of the Bastards", "Winds of Winter", "Hardhome", "Rains of Castamere", "Blackwater", and "Baelor" somewhere in top 5. And it is because those episodes hold the shows "big moments" and often more than one of them. That is obviously more than 5, but everything after that tends to be different or personal preference (at least in conversations or lists that I have seen)

Last nights slow crawl to the throne and Daemon's kill shot I think are up there in some of the best scenes in show history (Daemon is far and away the best season 1 character to me). And the confusion over the prince who was promised conversation was a terrific way to end the season. There was also lots of really subtle and brilliant moments in the dinner scene. It simultaneously humanized and villianized multiple characters.
A knight of the 7 kingdoms might be my favorite episode, so I’m obviously not in the mainstream of GoT fans. This episode felt like that. Some great payoffs for well developed characters, beautifully shot visual literature, and overall mood of impending doom.

Kind of silly to think that this all starts because there are too many fucking kids named Aegon. And this particular Aegon is clearly not any prince that was promised. I mean, the Queen is doing some wishful thinking for sure trying to make the King's opium ramblings into his actual deathbed wishes.

Don't think it's wishful thinking as much as protecting her children and herself from enemies real and imagined.

GOT was an epic series, each episode better than the last. Must watch TV and Top 5 Series of all time and maybe, just maybe, the GOAT.
House of Dragon is a decent series, relatively well acted but too choppy with few true surprises.
Like I said, for me, marginal, and I would not compare any episode I've seen with any from GOT.

Last edited:
you can't be the goat with how poorly the final season fizzled out.

Largely agree with the rest.

Also to be fair, the story up to this point is just all laying the foundation for the susbequent "dance of the dragons" showing how the Targaryen succession plays out. Sure, the showrunners obviously want every episode and season to stand alone as great work, but I think part of the Season 1 hindsight will be how it integrates into the larger picture/how well it set the scene for the "action" moving forward that makes up the bulk of the source material

A knight of the 7 kingdoms might be my favorite episode, so I’m obviously not in the mainstream of GoT fans. This episode felt like that. Some great payoffs for well developed characters, beautifully shot visual literature, and overall mood of impending doom.
You and I are probably more in alignment with how we view episodes and what we like

42407bdc6b7fc5c312c7bea4922595a2.jpg
beb38409da51e60c116391c4d57a0a5b.jpg

would not compare any episode I've seen with any from GOT.
So... you skipped the last season of GOT? Because it was trash. Like offensive, anger-inducing nonsense. Plus there was the Ed Sheeran cameo. Has House of the Dragon sniffed the highs of GOT? No. Has it even glimpsed the lows of late GOT? Also no.

Fucking Ed Sheeran.

When they bring in The Weeknd to sing to all the Aegons let me know...

thought the last episode was awesome. the cuts to daemon's face every time the king struggled to do anything were brilliant. this show is burning slow but I think it's been great so far. Viserys was one of the best acted characters in the GOT universe for me.

GOT was an epic series, each episode better than the last. Must watch TV and Top 5 Series of all time and maybe, just maybe, the GOAT.
House of Dragon is a decent series, relatively well acted but too choppy with few true surprises.
Like I said, for me, marginal, and I would not compare any episode I've seen with any from GOT.
I just fundamentally disagree with each episode of GoT being better than the last, even excluding the really bad final half of the final season.

That’s just not something that happens in almost any show. Breaking Bad stands out so much just because each season was better than the last, and it had low episodes.

Yeah it's impossible to have each episode over that long of a run be progressively better.

Only 2 of the episodes in the last season of GoT have any rewatch value for me.

The final 2 episodes are undoubtedly the worst 2 of the entire series.

So... you skipped the last season of GOT? Because it was trash. Like offensive, anger-inducing nonsense. Plus there was the Ed Sheeran cameo. Has House of the Dragon sniffed the highs of GOT? No. Has it even glimpsed the lows of late GOT? Also no.

Fucking Ed Sheeran.

When they bring in The Weeknd to sing to all the Aegons let me know...

Doesn't Ziggy Marley play one of the Valyrians ?

similar to winds of winter that first 15 minutes with the music was just straight up intense, the whole thing really. Just great.

great season so far. I was really expecting a different person/people to pop up at the end of that episode but I guess that's next?

kudos to the writers and runners of this show. they've managed to get me completely re-engaged with a franchise I had written off for dead after the seriously depressing debacle of GOT -- and they did it with zero fan service or ham fisted throwbacks to old characters. maybe it's because everyone hates the ending of GOT? but Star Wars and lotr could take notes. GRRM's books are my favorite series of all time so it's not that hard to lure me back in, but what they did to my boy hurt really bad last time around

Didn't like the time skips at first but they've made every episode relevant. I know the story isn't completely original but I'm just impressed they've done this well; House is clearly head and shoulders above its peers in my opinion (except maybe Andor but I haven't watched that yet). Excited for the finale and future of the show.

Fantastic episode and agree with the tone set by the music in the opening. I do have one lingering question. Does no one else know that there is another Aegon or are they just choosing not to bring this up as it would cast doubt on who the king was talking about on his deathbed?

From what I remember, Rhaenyra definitely told her father her newborn child's name but not sure if she confirmed the name with anyone else. Just seems odd that no one would bring it up unless they don't know.

Fantastic episode and agree with the tone set by the music in the opening. I do have one lingering question. Does no one else know that there is another Aegon or are they just choosing not to bring this up as it would cast doubt on who the king was talking about on his deathbed?

From what I remember, Rhaenyra definitely told her father her newborn child's name but not sure if she confirmed the name with anyone else. Just seems odd that no one would bring it up unless they don't know.

I dont find this as problematic. I think they did a good job of making clear that the only person who heard the Kings "dying wish" was the Queen. And that the small council was planning to give the Hightower Aegon the throne anyway.

Last edited:
Back