• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon - (and beyond) Discussion (spoilers allowed)

A few things:

This is a kinda interesting article from VF with the DP for Ep 3. It is kinda interesting that he wanted a 'more realistic' take than Helm's Deep where everything is perfectly lit when it should not be. He sort of has a point, but its a TV show, the point is to see the action.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...k-hard-to-see-battle-of-winterfell-long-night

I honestly think the darkness was a choice based on budgetary (minor) and time (major) constraints. Rendering all those CGI wights for a daylight battle would have taken months or a year to do. I think they made a decision to obscure it. It did make it more creepy. They could have easily made this episode a two hour movie, but they had to keep it moving.

I liked the ep, I'd give it a 7/10. Its funny how in ep 2, they are all around the table forming a terrible plan that bran suggested on the fly like 4 hours before the invasion, and then that plan actually works almost exactly how it was supposed to.

I generally echo the other sentiments on here that I am glad they disposed of the zombies and now we have 3 eps to wrap up the characters we care about most.

I do sort of wonder about the NK though. Like who is he? Where did he come from? Wasn't he supposed to be a Stark? Can he talk? Like 2 minutes of bond villain-esque 'explaining my plan exposition before I am defeated' would have been nice after all that buildup. I'm sure we will get something in the last 3 eps that explains some of this, but sort of a let down that all we got was icy stares from this bro.

Last point......so was the Sansa Jon and Arya scared in the crypts footage in the trailer just BS to throw us off? Surely they won't be coming back to the crypts again until the very end? Maybe the NK or one of his boys is sill alive and that is like the final scene?

well i hope he's happy now that everyone is talking about how dark it was instead of how much more realistic his battle of fast zombies was than the battle against orc-monsters

A few things:

This is a kinda interesting article from VF with the DP for Ep 3. It is kinda interesting that he wanted a 'more realistic' take than Helm's Deep where everything is perfectly lit when it should not be. He sort of has a point, but its a TV show, the point is to see the action.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...k-hard-to-see-battle-of-winterfell-long-night

I honestly think the darkness was a choice based on budgetary (minor) and time (major) constraints. Rendering all those CGI wights for a daylight battle would have taken months or a year to do. I think they made a decision to obscure it. It did make it more creepy. They could have easily made this episode a two hour movie, but they had to keep it moving.

I liked the ep, I'd give it a 7/10. Its funny how in ep 2, they are all around the table forming a terrible plan that bran suggested on the fly like 4 hours before the invasion, and then that plan actually works almost exactly how it was supposed to.

I generally echo the other sentiments on here that I am glad they disposed of the zombies and now we have 3 eps to wrap up the characters we care about most.

I do sort of wonder about the NK though. Like who is he? Where did he come from? Wasn't he supposed to be a Stark? Can he talk? Like 2 minutes of bond villain-esque 'explaining my plan exposition before I am defeated' would have been nice after all that buildup. I'm sure we will get something in the last 3 eps that explains some of this, but sort of a let down that all we got was icy stares from this bro.

Last point......so was the Sansa Jon and Arya scared in the crypts footage in the trailer just BS to throw us off? Surely they won't be coming back to the crypts again until the very end? Maybe the NK or one of his boys is sill alive and that is like the final scene?

They punted everything about the NK to the prequel. We might get a tiny bit more, but I doubt it.

The Hound is gonna burn his brother's face off tho in CLEGANE BOWL

The hype for that was why I thought his death would have been surprising. The inevitability of it is like getting 4 fouls on a duke player in the 4th quarter. They can do whatever they want because they are never going to get taken out.

I probably just don't remember this from previous seasons, but why did the COTF create the NK? They just huge dicks or what?

man, the whole NK arc is so fucking dumb when you think about it. the central myth that forms the cultural and political structure of the world of Game of Thrones is predicated on the threat of the walkers/children of the Forest.

so either Martin is just laughing about fantasy genre fans in general or the show runners are super dumb.

man, the whole NK arc is so fucking dumb when you think about it. the central myth that forms the cultural and political structure of the world of Game of Thrones is predicated on the threat of the walkers/children of the Forest.

so either Martin is just laughing about fantasy genre fans in general or the show runners are super dumb.

Read a pretty good article on the Ringer about how the show seems almost embarrassed by the nerdier high fantasy elements of the show and they just pass over them as much as they can. I don’t know that I buy that completely as there are obviously logistical challenges to things like having Arya and Jon both warg like in the books, but it could make sense. They write well for the palace intrigue elements of the show, but I’m not sure they are great at the apparent depth of Martin’s world building. Martin is an asshole though, so we probably won’t ever know what he had in mind other than he really loves incest.

I'm glad they didn't kill off the main, main characters with the zombie horde -- would have cheapened their deaths. They did kill off a couple of major characters and the deaths felt satisfying for their arcs - Jorah and Theon particularly.

I saw something on-line that says that one of the White Walkers that is with the NK blinks - which indicates it was actually Arya. If so, I totally missed that. Probably a little too subtle of a detail for what became such an important scene/ending. Or that could be internet made-up BS.

I saw his #2 turn his head (which I assumed was just him realizing Arya was midair)

Rewatched the trailer for next week, can someone point out to me where Ghost is?

Also does anyone else really enjoy people putting together insane theories every week with random scenes and conjectures, only for it be disproven really quickly?

Read a pretty good article on the Ringer about how the show seems almost embarrassed by the nerdier high fantasy elements of the show and they just pass over them as much as they can. I don’t know that I buy that completely as there are obviously logistical challenges to things like having Arya and Jon both warg like in the books, but it could make sense. They write well for the palace intrigue elements of the show, but I’m not sure they are great at the apparent depth of Martin’s world building. Martin is an asshole though, so we probably won’t ever know what he had in mind other than he really loves incest.

This the one?

Good read

Rewatched the trailer for next week, can someone point out to me where Ghost is?

Also does anyone else really enjoy people putting together insane theories every week with random scenes and conjectures, only for it be disproven really quickly?

I love it. Mainly because I think appointment television is probably dying. GoT very well could be the end of the concept of this many people watching a story unfold at the same time.

Back