• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GAME WEEK: Wake Forest vs. Belmont Abbey (exhibition)

For example, Duke played Ferris State for their exhibition game last weekend and won 132-48. That's what good teams do when they play inferior competition.

For example, Duke played Ferris State for their exhibition game last weekend and won 132-48. That's what good teams do when they play inferior competition.

Exhibition games can tell you one of two things:

1. Your team really sucks right now and you are going to struggle out of the gate. Depending on how bad the opponent is and how early and often you go to your bench, anything less than a 15-20 point win puts you in this category.

2. Your team is very talented and you should breeze through the easy part of your non-conference schedule. With the same caveats as above, anything above a 60-65 point win puts you in this category.

Anything in between falls in the “meh, it’s an exhibition” category.

Setting an amount Wake has to win by to avoid being upset is pretty dumb. We have no idea how much starters will play or how much Danny will just try out random substitution patterns (even moreso than he does during the regular season).

Sure, the top 10 guys on Wake are better than anyone on Belmont Abbey's roster, but depending on the style of play and how much time everyone gets in, it's difficult to set a target amount. Just setting yourself up for anger - which may be the point anyways.

Setting an amount Wake has to win by to avoid being upset is pretty dumb. We have no idea how much starters will play or how much Danny will just try out random substitution patterns (even moreso than he does during the regular season).

Sure, the top 10 guys on Wake are better than anyone on Belmont Abbey's roster, but depending on the style of play and how much time everyone gets in, it's difficult to set a target amount. Just setting yourself up for anger - which may be the point anyways.

Yup

Last edited:
I don't think there is a number. We could beat them by 70 and I'm not sure that would mean anything when we start playing good competition.

I remember the BZ exhibition game prior to the Stetson game. Wake looked great and all the vibes were positive.

Then came the Stetson debacle and the nightmare from which we have yet to awaken.

Hard to take much from an exhibition game. The Abbey will likely want it a lot more than we will.

I've also heard Abbey has a bunch of gym rats and that this is their Super Bowl. Gotta watch out for that. I even heard that they're bringing buses of fans. Everyone agrees we should expect at least 45-50 hardcore Crusaders to take over the gym - with the arena being too big, I'd expect them to echo throughout the Joel.

I remember the BZ exhibition game prior to the Stetson game. Wake looked great and all the vibes were positive.

Then came the Stetson debacle and the nightmare from which we have yet to awaken.

Hard to take much from an exhibition game. The Abbey will likely want it a lot more than we will.

Went back and looked and in the 10 years pre-[Redacted] our average margin of victory in exhibitions was 24.4 points. We only won one game by 50+ and two others by 40+. The only two squads to lose an exhibition game ended up winning a regular season championship and going to the Sweet 16, respectively.

I’ll change my earlier position and just go with exhibitions are meaningless and any reaction is an overreaction.

Belmont Abbey is closer to Piedmont International than others we have played against in these types of games. In fact, they play against each other this season.

We beat Piedmont by 70, IIRC.

If this game is remotely competitive, it would be a terrible sign... No matter what we do with substitutions or playing time.

Went back and looked and in the 10 years pre-[Redacted] our average margin of victory in exhibitions was 24.4 points. We only won one game by 50+ and two others by 40+. The only two squads to lose an exhibition game ended up winning a regular season championship and going to the Sweet 16, respectively.

I’ll change my earlier position and just go with exhibitions are meaningless and any reaction is an overreaction.

Since [Redacted] took over we’ve won Exhibitions by an average of 24.5, including one by 70 points.

We used to mix in traveling all-star teams in our exhibitions. Now we play D2 squads of varied abilities. Apples and oranges.

KenPom comparative ratings of exhibition opponents or gtfo

Whatever importance exhibitions had was lost once these games had to be against D2 or D3 schools instead of pro and semi-pro teams.

Belmont Abbey is closer to Piedmont International than others we have played against in these types of games. In fact, they play against each other this season.

We beat Piedmont by 70, IIRC.

If this game is remotely competitive, it would be a terrible sign... No matter what we do with substitutions or playing time.

Which begs the question, why are we playing this game?

I can't wait to see how we look. Last year i said we needed "addition by subtraction", but i really didn't expect so much subtraction! My gut says if we can play without the FR getting in foul trouble early in games, we can surprise some teams.

I can't wait to see how we look. Last year i said we needed "addition by subtraction", but i really didn't expect so much subtraction! My gut says if we can play without the FR getting in foul trouble early in games, we can surprise some teams.

Bless your heart.

Ugh, looks like they hit three straight 3s to open the game and we're down 0-9. Sarr has already picked up two fouls, Brandon has two turnovers, and Hoard is getting outplayed.

Ugh, looks like they hit three straight 3s to open the game and we're down 0-9. Sarr has already picked up two fouls, Brandon has two turnovers, and Hoard is getting outplayed.

Save and paste. I imagine you will get plenty of use from that this year.

From the game notes on the stats feed:

Match-up: Belmont Abbey () vs. Wake Forest ()
Start Time: 11:30 PM
Officials: Bill Covington, Jr.,Anthony Franklin,Les Jones

Only 7 1/2 hours till tip, apparently.

Back