• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

so I got the letter today that the makers mark from my barrel batch has matured. thing is, you have to make a reservation to pick it up in person at the distillery. There's a six month window. Interesting. That's not how I envisioned this playing out.

and as with everything they do, the letter was first class (for a free program). I was like, I wonder who this nice card is from and what it's for? Open and it's like a birth announcement saying congratulations, it's a bourbon, with a golden ticket inside explaining the process. very cool.

Guess I should have posted this here:

Not homebrewing but I did just start aging a bottle of V.S.O.P I brought back from France in my mini barrel. Was a 7-year bottle, and ages 8x-10x quicker in the small barrel. Think I'll give it at least a month or two and then maybe try some.

Just opened a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout Bourbon, out of WVa, and for the price ($35), it's really fucking good. Smooth, a little sweet, and has a decent yet non-threatening bite at 99 proof. Definitely recommend if you see it. I'd never seen it before I bought it a few weeks ago.

Just opened a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout Bourbon, out of WVa, and for the price ($35), it's really fucking good. Smooth, a little sweet, and has a decent yet non-threatening bite at 99 proof. Definitely recommend if you see it. I'd never seen it before I bought it a few weeks ago.

In keeping with our theme of obscure bourbon's, I have a bottle of Johnny Drum Private Stock (101 Proof) brought back from Kentucky for me. Says it was 2010 double gold winner at the SF World Beverage competition. I will keep you guys posted.

In keeping with our theme of obscure bourbon's, I have a bottle of Johnny Drum Private Stock (101 Proof) brought back from Kentucky for me. Says it was 2010 double gold winner at the SF World Beverage competition. I will keep you guys posted.

I finished off one of those about 2 months ago. Liked it a lot. Interested in your take. I don't know of anyone else who has tried it.

Anybody tried the new Woodford Reserve Double Oaked? Saw it a few weeks back and am just waiting for an excuse to buy it, which will probably end up being the next time I go to the liquor store. It runs about $50 a bottle.

Woodford-Reserve-Double-Oaked-1.jpg

Saw a new bottle today that I couldn't pass up. High West Campfire. It's a blend of rye, bourbon and Scotch. It's smokey, spicy and smooth. Really interesting and unique. Try it if you can find it.

Saw a new bottle today that I couldn't pass up. High West Campfire. It's a blend of rye, bourbon and Scotch. It's smokey, spicy and smooth. Really interesting and unique. Try it if you can find it.

High West makes some interesting products. They're semi-hard to find at a bar unless you have your go-tos with a good selection and sometimes buying a bottle isn't the wisest decision since you have no idea if you'll like it (think Dogfish Head but higher initial cost) but I find myself always wanting to try their stuff (much moreso than DFH at this point I might add).

High West makes some interesting products. They're semi-hard to find at a bar unless you have your go-tos with a good selection and sometimes buying a bottle isn't the wisest decision since you have no idea if you'll like it (think Dogfish Head but higher initial cost) but I find myself always wanting to try their stuff (much moreso than DFH at this point I might add).

I'm a huge High West fan. I really like the Bourye and the Double Rye. The 16 and 21 years are good, but are a little pricey. They also sell pre-made barrel aged manhattans which are a lot better than I expected since I'm not usually a fan of pre-made drinks. Their white/silver whiskey, however, is atrocious. Just nasty. But luckily most of the bars I frequent around town carry some form of High West.

Well the silver whiskey isn't really supposed to taste like whiskey. I liked it when I made some of the suggested cocktails, kind of acted as a good vodka/tequila substitute for some drinks :noidea:

I sometimes order some of the whiskeys when I go to Bad Decisions in Baltimore (from a Drinking Made Easy episode, has bacon happy hour)

Yeah, I think it's that I just hate white whiskey. I know it can be used as a substitute in drinks that call for a neutral spirit, but it's just not my thing.

Where does Basil Hayden land along the good bourbon continuum?

thats one of the better ones you can pretty much get at any abc store. better than woodfords obv but not as smooth as the smaller batch stuff that is probably $10 more than BH. cant go wrong its a solid purchase.

thats one of the better ones you can pretty much get at any abc store. better than woodfords obv but not as smooth as the smaller batch stuff that is probably $10 more than BH. cant go wrong its a solid purchase.

+1, love me some BH

Does that have more body than regular Woodford's? The regular is good, but to me it has more the body of an Irish whiskey than bourbon.

It looks like I'm almost out of my B'day Knob Creek.

Back