• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GOP Congressman Mo Brooks -War on Whites

The clear language of the clause is vague and general.

There was discussion about making it more specific and it didn't happen. And clearly there were people arguing at the time of framing that the power should be widespread.

So I am sorry but you are just wrong.

The clear language is less ambiguous than say the 2nd amendment, which does say that the right to bear arms is so that militias could be formed.

Last edited:
If you think Jefferson et. al. left that clause vague in order to let future governments tax one person to pay another person's bills, then I am sorry but you are just wrong. We will have to disagree on this one.

The English had a system at the time of taking care of the poor with workhouses provided by local governments. I would think that colonists' familiarity with that system would make them even less likely to be able to imagine a federal tax to pay for each other's babies.

The English had a system at the time of taking care of the poor with workhouses provided by local governments. I would think that colonists' familiarity with that system would make them even less likely to be able to imagine a federal tax to pay for each other's babies.

If they were able-bodied. If not they provided basic sustenance.

But the broader point was that there were public funds being used for general sustenance programs at the time.

Local, as all welfare should be. Not federal running up multi-trillion dollar debts. No framer of the Constitution would ever imagine such a misuse of federal taxing authority.

If you think Jefferson et. al. left that clause vague in order to let future governments tax one person to pay another person's bills, then I am sorry but you are just wrong. We will have to disagree on this one.

1 Jefferson wasn't there

2. Jefferson taxed other people to pay his own bills

Local, as all welfare should be. Not federal running up multi-trillion dollar debts. No framer of the Constitution would ever imagine such a misuse of federal taxing authority.

Debt as a percentage of GDP held by the public in 1790 was 40%. The use of trillions is irrelevant.

1 Jefferson wasn't there

2. Jefferson taxed other people to pay his own bills

1. Correct. I had forgotten that TJ was Minister to France at that time. If he had been there, maybe he would have had enough foresight to leave that clause out. My previous comments refer to the people who were there.

2. I hope TJ did not use federal taxes for his own welfare (salary as President excepted).

It must be such a burden for tjcmd to interpret the constitution for the entire country. I wish that we had a branch of government in charge of interpreting the constititution. Maybe the constitution says something about that.

1. Correct. I had forgotten that TJ was Minister to France at that time. If he had been there, maybe he would have had enough foresight to leave that clause out. My previous comments refer to the people who were there.

2. I hope TJ did not use federal taxes for his own welfare (salary as President excepted).

Well he did. Taxes supported a system by which he wrung his bread from the sweat of other men's faces

I will bite hook line and sinker because I don't immediately know. How did federal taxes in Jefferson's time cause or induce slavery?

TAXATION IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL THEFT!!!!!!!!!111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SLAVERY ON THE OTHER HAND...........................................

Last edited:
TAXATION IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL THEFT!!!!!!!!!111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SLAVERY ON THE OTHER HAND...........................................

I see that it takes you somewhat longer to get frustrated and resort to ad hominem attacks.

I see that it takes you somewhat longer to get frustrated and resort to ad hominem attacks.

mocking someone's position as being dumb or inconsistent isn't an ad hominem.

UNCONSTITUTIONAL TAXATION IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL THEFT!!!!!!!!!111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mocking someone's position as being dumb or inconsistent isn't an ad hominem.

Back