• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GREAT WIN DEACS!!!!

I don't limit anybody's opinions. Stop making shit up and argue like a big boy that has rational thought.

Believe it or not, most people don't come on here (esp. after a win) looking to get into an argument.

What exactly are you trying to argue about tonight?

Even if this makes me too stupid to participate in society, I'll go out there and say that I'm excited about this season. Yes, this team will probably really struggle come conference play. They're young, they don't have any great scorers, and they're soft underneath.

But I've seen HUGE strides in these first two games that I never saw last season. Solid D (though it slipped in the 2nd half), good ball movement, great effort, overall chemistry and excitement playing together. And those qualities will keep you in a lot of games that you shouldn't be in.

I attended Wake in the Odom years and for the last 2 ACC Champion teams. Those teams rarely blew out the cupcakes in November and December. And every November and December, we all said, "we only beat [insert crappy team] by 12 points? We're gonna suck this year." And yet those teams never sucked. My gut tells me that we are returning to those types of teams.

Also, huge Chase Fischer fan right now.

I would guess 4-5,000 attendance and perhaps 75-100 students (outside of the band)

What has happened to the students? If they really care that little why even have a basketball team?
Edited to say I realize it's early in the season and the team is coming off a terrible season. Still kind of shocked at how far it seems student interest has fallen. Has it been like this before and I'm just forgetting?

Last edited:
Believe it or not, most people don't come on here (esp. after a win) looking to get into an argument.

I'd "argue" that tonight's performance was still pretty shit. We hung on to beat a terrible, just TERRIBLE team.

Would you disagree?

Also, save me the stat digging from kenpom. Just say what you thought about the performance of the team tonight on your first impressions.

Stop relying on kenpom before you give an opinion. Cheers.

What has happened to the students? If they really care that little why even have a basketball team?
Edited to say I realize it's early in the season and the team is coming off a terrible season. Still kind of shocked at how far it seems student interest has fallen. Has it been like this before and I'm just forgetting?

Your board handle might give you the first clue. ;)

I sat in a section upstairs as a guest of a good friend.

We were the only two people in the ENTIRE SECTION. Yes, the entire section.

Anon NegRep: stop using RPI, terrible indicator

What do you want to go on?

Overall record? 2-27?

Conference record (in the Southern Conference): 1-17?

Current W-L Streak? L - 17?

Again. My point is that a close game against that bunch does nothing but reaffirm that they're not prepared to be an ACC-caliber team.

Either sign the rep or post it in the thread so it can be discussed publicly. What a crock; you must be the one helping RW line Bz's pockets with a 7-figure salary.

I don't limit anybody's opinions. Stop making shit up and argue like a big boy that has rational thought.

When did I say you were limiting anyone's opinions? So who is making things up again?

deacvision7, still douching it up.

Of course, one of the founders of the message board bearing the slogan "Discuss Wake Forest Athletics. Freely." decides to mention restricting people's opinions. Not to mention his disgruntled tone after a win.

Here is a slogan for you, "deacvision7 . . . douching it up since April 13, 2010"

When did I say you were limiting anyone's opinions? So who is making things up again?

deacvision7, still douching it up.

Time to argue semantics, I guess. Have at it, sir.

Really too bad the worst poster had to be the one to create this board. Even his hand picked mods are starting to figure it out.

You can only beat the team you play.

We aren't that good, but we are playing much harder.

Moon. dv7 and others would rather have us fail for the next two years than have to give [Redacted] any props.

That's very sad.....

well said RJ

That was an ugly win. We looked MUCH better on free throws (83% IIRC) and the guys were actually diving on the court for the loose ball. We also moved better on offense. I place that on coaching. That being said, we were incredibly weak against the zone D (again) and looked like we weren't even trying a few times and made poor rotations. That is also placed on coaching. We're in for a long, probably painful season but there is a good bit of promise in Fields and Chase.

How anyone could be hostile toward Bzz and the gang this season is beyond me. We suck. They're trying hard. We're going to lose a lot of games. Unless there's a massive collapse in team morale/chemistry, coach is going to get a shot next year with the new class. Just roll with it and be glad we're getting ugly wins.

I am beginning to realize that this board is not about being a WF fan at all....it's about just hating Bz. Actually very sad!

How anyone could be hostile toward Bzz and the gang this season is beyond me. We suck. They're trying hard. We're going to lose a lot of games. Unless there's a massive collapse in team morale/chemistry, coach is going to get a shot next year with the new class. Just roll with it and be glad we're getting ugly wins.

We're simply not good. He'll get at least two more years given the class he has signed.

I'd "argue" that tonight's performance was still pretty shit. We hung on to beat a terrible, just TERRIBLE team.

Would you disagree?

Eh. Somewhat. I think we got a little unlucky from deep. Considering all the open looks, 6-23 is pretty ugly. 1 or 2 more of those fall, and the game looks a lot more comfortable. For us to win a game, any game, when we shoot that poorly is a good sign. The key is that we do a great job of getting to the foul line, and tonight we converted at an excellent rate (79%).

That should be a strength all year. I think the defense is a lot better. Last year we forced 22 turnovers in the first two games combined. We forced 22 turnovers tonight alone, after forcing 17 against Loyola. You could say that Loyola and Ga. Southern were just careless with the ball, and we didn't really "force" that many turnovers, but their ball handling is probably just as good as Stetson's and Hampton's was last year (looking it up, Hampton was actually excellent at taking care of the ball last year, but Stetson was absurdly bad). *Edit: Just read your Kenpom post. I'm not going to apologize for looking this information up. I have this weird hang-up about making arguments without consulting easily-available reliable data.*

We're going to have to be competitive in the turnover department, since rebounding is still a major issue. We got out-rebounded tonight by a team with nobody over 6'8. It's really just a personnel issue. I can't complain about the effort. We have one eligible player taller than 6'8, and he is incredibly soft. Daniel Green is not really ready to play, even against the mid-majors. We're going to get destroyed on the boards all year, that's just the way it is.

I think the biggest thing that this game showed is that we have two really good players (Mckie and Harris) and we have very little to surround them with. Both of them got into a bit of foul trouble in the first half tonight, and that's when Ga. Southern got back into the game. Against good (or even mediocre) teams, we need both of them to play 33+ minutes.

Overall, I don't think tonight changed my opinion of our team at all. We were favored by 12.5 and we won by 9. We were favored by around 4 against Loyola, and won by 12. So we're pretty much exactly what Vegas/Pomeroy thought we'd be.

Last edited:
Back