• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GT Game Thread

What's surprising to me about Mitch's play so far is just his overall awareness, since my takeaway from practice/pre-season commentary was that Kern had the better arm but Mitch ran the offense better and had a decent enough arm.

His pocket presence has been awful, which I'm sure most people recognize. But he's run dozens of mesh plays where he made what looked like terrible reads - just handing it to the RB straight into a pile or ditching the handoff before really reading the situation and just locking onto one receiver or taking a sack. Our backs have done an excellent job waiting and bouncing outside for some big runs, but once we get the running game going a bit we're supposed to see those single coverage short hitters where he pulls it back and takes advantage. I don't know that I've seen that a single time - it's hard not to assume his size is a key problem because it looks like he's just not able to see anything that's happening down field.

The game should be slowing down for him, but it doesn't seem to be. You can say "oh if only he throws it away and we go to OT and win against GATech yada yada" - but the ODU comeback also featured a horrid pass (or two) directly to ODU that they dropped, unbelievably, to allow the comeback. I have zero doubt Clawson's goal is to win football games, so I trust whatever route he takes. You'd think something will have to change though if we're to salvage this season. Whether that's Kern or treating Mitch like Grobe treated Skinner in his first couple of games, who knows.
17 turnover prone throws and 5 or 6 fumbles is just astounding. If the defenses we played didn't suck, he'd be leading the nation in turnovers by a massive margin.

This is a hard one.

One, it is extremely likely that Kern would not be the meaningful improvement we are hoping for. Clawson wants to win more than he wants to play Griffis. I think, based on Clawson's comments so far, he's been trying to save this season as opposed to writing it off and trying to either pull a rabbit from the hat (much better Kern, despite prior data) or plan for the future (which we can't really do with Kern because of his class/age). This makes sense to me, and I agree that our best chance to turn this around is with Griffis. Not that I think it's likely; just less unlikely than tossing Kern out there and hoping.

Two, having said that, we need to see substantial improvement to have any sense of comfort with Griffis. At Clemson is not a great game to break in a new QB, but we have a bye week.

On the whole: yes, Griffis has been almost indescribably bad. But also, yes, I think our best chance at salvaging this season is to hope Griffis can play better. Not a great position, but it's where I think we are.

One or two (because, Clemson) more awful games, and I think Clawson will make a change. Likely not with Kern, but with someone other than Griffis.

Last edited:
This is a hard one.

One, it is extremely likely that Kern would not be the meaningful improvement we are hoping for. Clawson wants to win more than he wants to play Griffis. I think, based on Clawson's comments so far, he's been trying to save this season as opposed to writing it off and trying to either pull a rabbit from the hat (much better Kern, despite prior data) or plan for the future (which we can't really do with Kern because of his class/age). This makes sense to me, and I agree that our best chance to turn this around is with Griffin. Not that I think it's likely; just less unlikely than tossing Kern out there and hoping.

Two, having said that, we need to see substantial improvement to have any sense of comfort with Griffis. At Clemson is not a great game to break in a new QB, but we have a bye week.

On the whole: yes, Griffis has been almost indescribably bad. But also, yes, I think our best chance at salvaging this season is to hope Griffis can play better. Not a great position, but it's where I think we are.

One or two (because, Clemson) more awful games, and I think Clawson will make a change. Likely not with Kern, but with someone other than Griffis.
🚨🚨🚨 this post makes too much sense for this thread 🚨🚨🚨

please revise this as an unhinged hyperbolic kneejerk egotistical post and try again

thank you

It's also very plausible that the staff is trying to get as much data as they can for not just this year, but beyond so they know what they need to do in the off-season. It's going to be tough to get to bowl eligibility in my eyes, and we need a successful QB to do that. The staff obviously knows that, and they also likely know that the ceiling for this year is fairly low given what we know now. To Kent's point, one or two more games may be enough to tell us all we need to know about this year and the future.

I think what continues to baffle me is that Claiborne got pulled on Saturday for missing a block from what I can tell. Yet Mitch doesn’t get pulled for one play when he continuously hands the ball to the other team.
This one is pretty easy imo - we know what we have in Justice Ellison, and that's a sensational pass blocker.

Although is that why Tate got into the game on the final two offensive plays before the Griffis pick?

This one is pretty easy imo - we know what we have in Justice Ellison, and that's a sensational pass blocker.

Although is that why Tate got into the game on the final two offensive plays before the Griffis pick?
Correct. I’m fine with Justice playing over him but we basically put in an unproven back with Tate. It’s not that different.

This is a hard one.

One, it is extremely likely that Kern would not be the meaningful improvement we are hoping for. Clawson wants to win more than he wants to play Griffis. I think, based on Clawson's comments so far, he's been trying to save this season as opposed to writing it off and trying to either pull a rabbit from the hat (much better Kern, despite prior data) or plan for the future (which we can't really do with Kern because of his class/age). This makes sense to me, and I agree that our best chance to turn this around is with Griffin. Not that I think it's likely; just less unlikely than tossing Kern out there and hoping.

This really is the larger point that seems to be missed by some. I'm sure Mitch Griffis is a great guy, but this is about winning games for the WF football staff. Clawson has fired coaches in mid-season, and removed coaches from the staff with whom he had long connections. He's not going to continue playing Griffis if there are better options that would increase WF's chances to win games.

Correct. I’m fine with Justice playing over him but we basically put in an unproven back with Tate. It’s not that different.
Come on man

Switching a running back and switching a quarterback are not that different?

17 turnover prone throws and 5 or 6 fumbles is just astounding. If the defenses we played didn't suck, he'd be leading the nation in turnovers by a massive margin.
While I don't disagree he's been bad, I don't know what that metric really is. I'd assume the Hite throw counts, which it shouldn't. Or maybe it doesn't? Is any 50/50 ball thrown to Banks a "turnover prone throw" because I have no problem with those. If Claiborne whiffs a block and Mitch gets blindsided but our guys instantly fall on a fumble I'm not raking him over the coals for it. I don't know how much better it can be said than how Clawson said it. His problems may not be unexpected as a first-time starter but the lack of improvement is, and it needs to change. There's no sugarcoating 6 picks considering who we've played to this point - and there shouldn't be. At the same time I don't buy that he should have 17.

I don't know specifically what a "turnover prone throw" is but it's bad he has significantly more than any QB in the nation including other first-time starters.

Come on man

Switching a running back and switching a quarterback are not that different?
It shouldn’t be that different to give Kern a series or two to see what happens. What’s the worst that can happen? He throws the ball to the other team? He fumbles? He takes 3 straight sacks? None of that matters at this point.

It shouldn’t be that different to give Kern a series or two to see what happens. What’s the worst that can happen? He throws the ball to the other team? He fumbles? He takes 3 straight sacks? None of that matters at this point.
Which Clawson has done in the past with QBs.

While I don't disagree he's been bad, I don't know what that metric really is. I'd assume the Hite throw counts, which it shouldn't. Or maybe it doesn't? Is any 50/50 ball thrown to Banks a "turnover prone throw" because I have no problem with those. If Claiborne whiffs a block and Mitch gets blindsided but our guys instantly fall on a fumble I'm not raking him over the coals for it. I don't know how much better it can be said than how Clawson said it. His problems may not be unexpected as a first-time starter but the lack of improvement is, and it needs to change. There's no sugarcoating 6 picks considering who we've played to this point - and there shouldn't be. At the same time I don't buy that he should have 17.
He could have easily had another 3+ against ODU. At one point the defense kind of dropped 3 in a row, and 1 was uncontested.

I don't think any of us have any expectations about beating Clemson so... why not start Kern? What's the worst that happens? We get beat by 21 instead of 28? Don't get me wrong, I hope that we win and all and I'll root for us no matter what, but I just don't think it'd be the worst thing to try out. Who knows, maybe we'll get a surprise?

Last edited:
I don't think its very likely Kern's turnover rate is the same or worse than Griffis. That doesn't mean Kern will be good, but the turnover rate makes it impossible to compete right now. And if Kern is just as bad, or worse, you can go right back to Mitch and we are in the same spot we are in now. If anything, it may make it easier for Mitch is there is not a real second option.

The defense has been good, yeah, but there's still glaring holes especially with our cornerbacks. Two touchdowns that GT scored were because our corners either got burnt or lack spatial awareness.

Mitch obviously wasn't helping matters at all, but I don't think the loss is specifically on him. That was a sloppy and uninspired game from everyone-- OLine didn't have a good game, Mitch didn't have a good game, receivers had great catches but couldn't find separation often, secondary didn't do much outside of that one pick that I recall. Special teams was not good. 21 points from Georgia Tech were scored as a result of just inane mental errors. They just wanted it more. GT simply beat us on all facets of the ball, and truth be told, I do believe they're better than their record suggests.
Wanted it more? Really?

This is a hard one.

One, it is extremely likely that Kern would not be the meaningful improvement we are hoping for. Clawson wants to win more than he wants to play Griffis. I think, based on Clawson's comments so far, he's been trying to save this season as opposed to writing it off and trying to either pull a rabbit from the hat (much better Kern, despite prior data) or plan for the future (which we can't really do with Kern because of his class/age). This makes sense to me, and I agree that our best chance to turn this around is with Griffis. Not that I think it's likely; just less unlikely than tossing Kern out there and hoping.

There is nobody else other than Kern who is playable.

Back