• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GT Game Thread

Good post. Also, not recognizing the talent of the future Doak Walker and unanimous All-American KWIII was somewhat of an eye-opener. So, maybe he wasn't the greatest blocker in the world. Interesting how the Seattle Seahawks see that differently. Perhaps our "challenge" to identify "quality talent" has now landed us in this position that you cite. It's very concerning.

Think about that. The most heralded football player to wear black & gold eventually wore green & white and we let him walk right out of the door.
And a good portion of people on this board bitched every game that he should be the starting rb. Interestingly, the same group now wants Mitch to sit. None of us know more the coaches, but sometimes a fresh set of eyes can point out the obvious. There were plenty of “if he was better then Clawson would be playing him” posts then too.

Wolford was playing behind an FCS level O-Line. Griffis’ line is not that bad. He’s just making them look bad.
So much this. Clawson said he had never seen such a weak OL when he came in and it was crazy how quickly the pocket imploded for Walford. Has there been 3-4 times that happened to Mitch - yes, but he also had many times he had time and just couldn’t decide or made the wrong decision. If Griffis were behind Wolfords line he would have 10 INTs, 5 fumbles and 30 sacks already. Clawson knows that and that is where he can’t just keep throwing out these past comparisons To make himself feel better.

One thing is for sure, this thread has become a textboook example of 'Monday Morning Quarterbacking'

This narrative is far more bullshit. Wolford was 18 (turned 19), with one summer in the program, probably the worst OL in the nation, and very little skill position talent.

Mitch is 22, this is his 4th year in the program, with an experienced but mediocre offensive line, and a great WR corps.
This this and this

Also, not recognizing the talent of the future Doak Walker and unanimous All-American KWIII was somewhat of an eye-opener.

Okay. Please provide us with the correct narrative. How did it really happen? Why did he leave for Michigan State given so much playing time? I really would like to know.

First of all, Walker was committed to Kent State in October 2018 before Clawson and staff flipped him. So on that basis alone it’s completely asinine to say that he didn’t recognize Walker’s talent.

He got significant playing time and carries as a freshman (98) behind a proven workhorse senior back in Carney (158 carries). Walker then had 119 carries the following year and actually had a slightly lower YPC average than CBS (4.9 vs 5.2) though he did have 13 TDs. So a ton of playing time and carries in his first two seasons despite acknowledged deficiencies in his blocking and other requirements as an RB.

He left for MSU quite simply because they ran a pro-style offense and were happy to tell him they would give him as many carries as he wanted. Clawson and staff were (rightly) not going to abandon or completely overhaul the offense for 1 season.

And oh by the way both teams had 11 wins that season so seriously who gives a fuck anymore. It’s completely ridiculous to act like Clawson had him playing with the scout team.

This narrative is far more bullshit. Wolford was 18 (turned 19), with one summer in the program, probably the worst OL in the nation, and very little skill position talent.

Mitch is 22, this is his 4th year in the program, with an experienced but mediocre offensive line, and a great WR corps.
I'll never forget that Louisiana Monroe game in 2014 to open the season (Claw and Wolf's 1st game). That was the worst O-Line play I've ever seen in a college game. Just looked it up and was surprised it was only 7 sacks. Felt more like 27. -40 rushings yards for Wolf.

First of all, Walker was committed to Kent State in October 2018 before Clawson and staff flipped him. So on that basis alone it’s completely asinine to say that he didn’t recognize Walker’s talent.

He got significant playing time and carries as a freshman (98) behind a proven workhorse senior back in Carney (158 carries). Walker then had 119 carries the following year and actually had a slightly lower YPC average than CBS (4.9 vs 5.2) though he did have 13 TDs. So a ton of playing time and carries in his first two seasons despite acknowledged deficiencies in his blocking and other requirements as an RB.

He left for MSU quite simply because they ran a pro-style offense and were happy to tell him they would give him as many carries as he wanted. Clawson and staff were (rightly) not going to abandon or completely overhaul the offense for 1 season.

And oh by the way both teams had 11 wins that season so seriously who gives a fuck anymore. It’s completely ridiculous to act like Clawson had him playing with the scout team.

Thanks. I'm glad to now have all of the facts! Much appreciated. I had NO idea it was simply because MSU ran a pro-style offense with a 1st year head coach and please point us to where anyone said he was playing with the scout team.

Oh, and you took my first quote completely and totally out of context. Let me clarify. When I stated, "Also, not recognizing the talent of the future Doak Walker and unanimous All-American KWIII was somewhat of an eye-opener", that meant AFTER he had shown superior talent while playing at Wake Forest. It had nothing to do with him playing in high school. HUGE difference. HUGE.

But obviously we are going to disagree and Clawson is infallible in some eyes. So, that's fine. But here we are with a shit-show at QB and no one in the wings because apparently QB2 is not serviceable under the lights. But I digress.

Last edited:
I'll never forget that Louisiana Monroe game in 2014 to open the season (Claw and Wolf's 1st game). That was the worst O-Line play I've ever seen in a college game. Just looked it up and was surprised it was only 7 sacks. Felt more like 27. -40 rushings yards for Wolf.

I’m surprised we only lost by 7. My memory had us losing like 35-10, but I guess that defense was actually decent.

I am wondering how much Ruggiero has already changed the offense in the post-Hartman era.

Two things that seem new are a slower pace of play on offense, and less mesh. These both were staples of the '21 ACC Championship season. It seemed to be less last season, and a lot less this season.

Is this adjustment because we have a better defense and running game, so slowing the game down again may be to our advantage? Or does the staff not have the same confidence in the offense to execute a hurry-up and mesh?

Or did teams start to figure that out about halfway through last season, so we had moved away from those concepts? I would love to see a breakdown of how many mesh plays we ran per game before and after Louisville.

If Griffis was working for 3 years to execute the mesh point, and then now we are running it infrequently, that may be losing a major advantage he would otherwise have.

I'd love a breakdown of how often Wake has used the slow mesh over the years. Just a simple yes/no on the slow mesh per play would yield some good data about how they use the slow mesh in different situations.

Good post. Also, not recognizing the talent of the future Doak Walker and unanimous All-American KWIII was somewhat of an eye-opener. So, maybe he wasn't the greatest blocker in the world. Interesting how the Seattle Seahawks see that differently. Perhaps our "challenge" to identify "quality talent" has now landed us in this position that you cite. It's very concerning.

Think about that. The most heralded football player to wear black & gold eventually wore green & white and we let him walk right out of the door.

Here’s your entire quote Abster. I’d love to know how that was “taken out of context” because that’s exactly what you said. Anyways I’m over it but it’s so tiring to see people beating the Walker thing into the ground while totally ignoring the facts. I’m far from a Clawson apologist or whatever either.

Here’s your entire quote Abster. I’d love to know how that was “taken out of context” because that’s exactly what you said. Anyways I’m over it but it’s so tiring to see people beating the Walker thing into the ground while totally ignoring the facts. I’m far from a Clawson apologist or whatever either.
Jesus christ. Please find a hobby. I was referring to him WHILE AT WAKE FOREST!!!!! Clawson had TWO years to see him play against college talent.

There is not ONE thing in my post. Not one!!! That refers to him in high school. Stop twisting facts to fit your insane argument.

Move on.

It would be fascinating to compare how many posts Abster has made about Clawson and his decisions over the last few days vs. WRS and decide who needs to get a hobby.

I think the talk of "Currie and Clawson need to have a serious conversation at the end of the year if things don't turn around" based on what we've seen so far is ungodly premature and is a huge discredit to everything Claws has done for the program. I'm not saying to give them a pass on what we've seen so far, but at the same time, I think some of the comments here are absurd.

It's fine to disagree with what we're doing now QB-wise, but the fact of the matter is we're still 3-1 and have 75% of the year left. Am I overly optimistic? No, not really, but let's give the staff the benefit of the doubt to see if they can turn it around before the pitchforks come out.

This - In addition the COVID season had a huge negative impact on Walker along with other players. It was a stressful and challenging year to say the least.

But the narrative that Clawson and staff ran off Hartman and Walker is just comically inaccurate.

Griffis may be a great runner, but he's holding the ball and staying in the pocket until it's too late to run.
Sure but even his designed keepers have been awful. Have to assume we ran a bunch of those against Ga Tech to try to get him moving around, picking up some easy scramble yards - it just looks like he panics and runs straight into people. Or the one time he had space he just fell down on his own. Indecision, panic, doesn't seem to see the field - definitely a mess. With 2 weeks to prep you know they're giving Kern a serious look. Plus it's not like Wake has any real shot at winning in Death Valley so it's a great chance to at least trade off possessions. I'd like to see them start Mitch/Claiborne as the run-focused offense then mix it up with Kern/Ellison with a pass-focused offense. That way Claiborne gets rewarded for his great play while his pass-blocking doesn't hurt much, and we give Kern the best chance we can to see what he can do in a real game. Worst that happens is we lose at Clemson. Big deal.

Piling on, but:

He's basically looking at eye level, or looking down, instead of downfield. As in "where's an opening I can get through to get out of here quick." And them BAM - sack.

It's layered, multiple issues, but we must go with the Grobe quick screens out wide (what game/year was that?) to Key Williams or some very quick passes or he just throws it away.

Strength: WR - get the ball in their hands, quicker/quickly or MORE SACKS and TURNOVERS. Key W. had ONE catch vs. GT. That's 100% on our coaches and the QB. The freakin' NFL is sending scouts to look at Key W., and we get him 1 touch, in a game we could win to go 4-0. WTF?

We also cannot throw it 30+ times per game, which is another entire major issue. Clawson uses the slow mesh stuff to set up "explosive plays" in the passing game. No Greene, and this line and Griffis - that is LMAO not happening at all. Need to cut that basically down to 15-19 passes per game.

Strength: Punting and special teams in general. Do that, it's ok.

Strength: Defense. Punt, let them make plays to setup short/shorter fields for our RUNNING backs. Maybe Chaney will help the DL a little, and Hudson, Chase Jones -- D will only get better, as we get healthier.

Strength: RB. Carney looked pretty damn good in his first ever chance to run. So, we have 3 good backs. Don't penalize Carney (or I suppose now Hite) for 1 terrible turnover.

That's all I got, other than don't wait to be down 0-21, before giving Kern a chance at Clemson. Give him a chance when there is at least still a threat we will run the ball.

You know Clawson will not START Kern, but don't wait too long. Clemson is mediocre this year (another major issue, good lord, we could finally beat them if we had an offense), but as always, their DL will tee off if we are down big and one-dimensional.

Back