• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GT Game Thread

As I've said before I think our biggest problem is(and probably will be)up front. All one has to do is look at our recruiting. While we bring in 270-280 lb. linemen and hope to get them to 300, our opposition is bringing in 300+ lineman and turning them into 320 lb. linemen. Much has been said about us recruiting 3 star recruits and making them 4 and 5 star players, and I agree we do a great job. What has not been said is that our opponents also develop players and recruit 4 and 5 star athletes and make them 5 and5+ players. some have said our defensive line is good, but I don't believe it is that good against power 5 teams. Ga. Tech is not exactly a power house but we barely touched their qb. I realize we need improvement from Mitch but I fear we will continue to be out manned up front by elite teams Hope I'm wrong.

Just watched the game again. Yes, Griffis ain’t great. His protection sucked. But what stuck out to me was the appalling play calling to cure up some of those deficits. Our coaches just kept sticking with shit that wasn’t working. So I give a small pass to our QB1. Do work coaches.

Just watched the game again. Yes, Griffis ain’t great. His protection sucked. But what stuck out to me was the appalling play calling to cure up some of those deficits. Our coaches just kept sticking with shit that wasn’t working. So I give a small pass to our QB1. Do work coaches.
Did it show the receivers running wide open?

Can we run the 2 minute offense for the entire game? Would that change help Mitch get rid of the ball faster?

Friends, I am astonished by the sentiment of the 1/3 of this fan base who think that it doesn’t matter who we put at QB, we are going to lose to Clemson. The same Clemson team that lost to Duke by 21 points. What a world we live in now, where Wake Forest fans don’t believe we can even be competitive against a team that LOST TO DUKE BY 21 POINTS. I mean sure it was a trap game, considering Clemson had all offseason to prepare for them. Friend, either you're closing your eyes to a situation you do not wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated by this way of thinking. Trouble (oh, we got trouble).

(This is more fun if you read it to the tune of Ya Got trouble from the Music Man)

(Can someone put this to the tune of

But Timmy that is the Duke team that is hosting Gameday. Duke is led by Mike Elko who according to the boards an all-time great coach who will single-handedly destroy Wake football. Of course, Wake will lose to a Clemson team that ONLY LOST TO DUKE BY 21 POINTS.

Unless Clawson creates a miracle with Mitch, Clemson will roll us at Death Valley. We won't hear the snap count most of game, so probably 3-5 false starts. Clemson will amass close to 400 yards just on the ground. Our 3 and outs will exhaust our D early. Hoping we don't have multiple major injuries. We are Clemson's perfect whipping boy to take out the frustrations of their season so far, regardless of the Syracuse outcome.

Praying for 4 Clemson bizarre TOs ala Duke game. Then maybe it's respectable.

But Timmy that is the Duke team that is hosting Gameday. Duke is led by Mike Elko who according to the boards an all-time great coach who will single-handedly destroy Wake football. Of course, Wake will lose to a Clemson team that ONLY LOST TO DUKE BY 21 POINTS.
Well, we may as well forfeit the game and disband the team. If starting the 119th ranked QB in division 1 football is the best we can do and all we can hope for, then I think this would be for the best.

Well, we may as well forfeit the game and disband the team. If starting the 119th ranked QB in division 1 football is the best we can do and all we can hope for, then I think this would be for the best.
Well Wake Forest has the 124th best all-time record among FBS teams, so if you think about it like that, starting the 119th ranked QB is actually pretty good.

Well Wake Forest has the 124th best all-time record among FBS teams, so if you think about it like that, starting the 119th ranked QB is actually pretty good.

Why play an unknown in Kern and risk that legacy!?!?

As I've said before I think our biggest problem is(and probably will be)up front. All one has to do is look at our recruiting. While we bring in 270-280 lb. linemen and hope to get them to 300, our opposition is bringing in 300+ lineman and turning them into 320 lb. linemen. Much has been said about us recruiting 3 star recruits and making them 4 and 5 star players, and I agree we do a great job. What has not been said is that our opponents also develop players and recruit 4 and 5 star athletes and make them 5 and5+ players. some have said our defensive line is good, but I don't believe it is that good against power 5 teams. Ga. Tech is not exactly a power house but we barely touched their qb. I realize we need improvement from Mitch but I fear we will continue to be out manned up front by elite teams Hope I'm wrong.
Which opponents do that? We play a schedule of 8-9 games a year vs teams whom we recruit equivalent to or better than. I’ve complained plenty about our recruiting in the past, but let’s not pretend we are in the SEC. Duke, GT, Syracuse, Virginia, Pitt, BC are recruiting at nearly the same level we are. State and VT are only marginally better recruiters than Wake. It’s basically just FSU, Clemson, UNC, Miami who are overwhelming us with talent
and we never play Miami. We recruit more talent than all of our non-con opponents.

Bowling Green scored 38 unanswered points yesterday against Ga Tech in Atlanta to improve to 2-3. We scored 16 total points against Tech.

Well yes, sure, including that shank or whatever that was.

But, in theory, unless he is injured, Mora is supposed to be THIS guy:
  • 2022 Ray Guy Award Watch List
  • 2022 Preseason Phil Steele Fourth Team All-ACC
  • 2021 Ray Guy Award Watch List
  • 2020 Ray Guy Award nominee
I just looked up his stats and he is ranked 117 out of 118 in average punt at 34.6 yards per punt. 15 total punts with a long of 48.

Back