• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GT Game Thread

I just hope Clawson somewhat adjusts and we play better at QB. Otherwise, I fear another big "Hello Portal" for our great receivers at the end of the season..

I think the talk of "Currie and Clawson need to have a serious conversation at the end of the year if things don't turn around" based on what we've seen so far is ungodly premature and is a huge discredit to everything Claws has done for the program. I'm not saying to give them a pass on what we've seen so far, but at the same time, I think some of the comments here are absurd.

It's fine to disagree with what we're doing now QB-wise, but the fact of the matter is we're still 3-1 and have 75% of the year left. Am I overly optimistic? No, not really, but let's give the staff the benefit of the doubt to see if they can turn it around before the pitchforks come out.
I did a search for "Currie" and couldn't find anybody saying this. Who are you referring to here?

So in summary. We were in the ACC championship game two years ago. We either encouraged or couldn’t convince otherwise our ACC record holding quarterback to leave. In the meantime with all the positive vibes and press we were getting, not to mention one of the best receiving corps in ACC history, we end up with Griffis and Kerns as the only options we have. Took about two series against Elon for me to see griffis is not good enough. This is a colossal failure by the coaching staff. There should be a really tough conversation between Currie and clawson at the end of the season.

The o line gave him plenty of time and created over 200 yds rushing.

The defense held GT to 14 earned points (9 points the GT offense was already in field goal position due to turnovers or a bad punt.

The problem is an indecisive QB who doesn't appear to have the physical strengths to play at this level and who also makes critical mental mistakes.

Clawson has to sit Mitch. If he doesn't he risks losing the team due to preferential treatment. If a rb had multiple fumbles in back to back games do you think he wouldn't sit?
The fact that the O-line gave up 8 sacks to a GT team that only had 1 sack in its first 3 games does not translate into "plenty of time".

Does TTT include time spent in the slow mesh? If so, it feels like that makes Mitch look a lot worse than reality in regard to taking sacks.

I did a search for "Currie" and couldn't find anybody saying this. Who are you referring to here?
Me. And there is absolutely no reason they shouldn't have a serious talk.

ETA: By that I mean are we where we thought we would be two seasons past ACCCG. And why are we not. I'm not suggesting Clawson be on a hot seat, but for all the positives, and recognizing he's probably the best fit for us, Clawson tends to do more with less, but not always more when we have more. Aside from a couple of rather ho hum top 25 wins, it's hard to say we've won any real marquee games. Even subpar teams upset teams once in a while. Last year was insanely disappointing. I mean we seem to be continuing the slide from the end of last year, except more rapidly.

Last edited:
Does TTT include time spent in the slow mesh? If so, it feels like that makes Mitch look a lot worse than reality in regard to taking sacks.
Pretty sure it does. The website has a disclaimer saying that to take this with a grain of salt due to differences in schemes

Hartman had money offered to him, he just had way more offered by ND with the concommitant ad deals
I mean it makes more sense that we tried to keep him, got outbid/out big-timed and it was just a better look all around to act like it was mutual. Either way hard to stay competitive when our best players go play somewhere else. Transfer rules definitely hurt programs like ours.

Good post. Also, not recognizing the talent of the future Doak Walker and unanimous All-American KWIII was somewhat of an eye-opener. So, maybe he wasn't the greatest blocker in the world. Interesting how the Seattle Seahawks see that differently. Perhaps our "challenge" to identify "quality talent" has now landed us in this position that you cite. It's very concerning.

Think about that. The most heralded football player to wear black & gold eventually wore green & white and we let him walk right out of the door.
This is so wrong.

Okay. Please provide us with the correct narrative. How did it really happen? Why did he leave for Michigan State given so much playing time? I really would like to know.
Damn, he went home for Covid break and never came back. Was having a great year. Mel was prob making late night calls to Walker’s mom.

I mean it makes more sense that we tried to keep him, got outbid/out big-timed and it was just a better look all around to act like it was mutual. Either way hard to stay competitive when our best players go play somewhere else. Transfer rules definitely hurt programs like ours.
Not sure how it can be explained any more clearly - Sam Hartman was not returning to WFU to play football in 2023 barring some crazy development(s) as he already gave 5 years.

Agree the transfer rules hurt Wake more than help but this illustrates why more fans/alums need to step up NIL donations so Wake has the dry powder to win a bidding war when needed.

Our punting has been pretty abysmal the last couple games.
Well yes, sure, including that shank or whatever that was.

But, in theory, unless he is injured, Mora is supposed to be THIS guy:
  • 2022 Ray Guy Award Watch List
  • 2022 Preseason Phil Steele Fourth Team All-ACC
  • 2021 Ray Guy Award Watch List
  • 2020 Ray Guy Award nominee

Back