• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GT Game Thread

lol, you can go watch the game too (if you're not too busy cheering for duke), it's online still... he's a 5th year QB and made all the same kinds of mistakes we're seeing Mitch make now, only in even easier circumstances
Challenge accepted. I'm going to watch the spring game tonight and see if Kern was really as horrible as you are saying he was.

Every time Mitch gets on the field, Kern’s self-confidence hit must be taking a toll on him, with him thinking at this point, “how much do I suck to not be in the game?” Blame should be on coaches for not foreseeing worst case scenario and having contingency plans in place. Risk Management Plan 101.
I don't know, it works both ways. Claws pulls Mitch too soon and then he creates an environment where the QBs have zero pyschological safety and are worried about getting pulled every drive for any mistake they make (so they just never grow as QBs or take risks).

I suspect at this point though Clawson has definitely given Mitch enough of a fair shake and time where that isn't a concern. Hell, last drive against GT he was probably thinking it was working out OK and Mitch was putting together a tying drive and maybe had overcome his early demons (for the second game in a row). His presser seems to indicate that shift as well. I feel like we'll probably see Mitch early againt Clemson and if he continues to make bad mistakes/hold the ball too long Kern will get his shot in the second half of the game (and probably with zero expectations playing from behind).

The o line gave him plenty of time and created over 200 yds rushing.

The defense held GT to 14 earned points (9 points the GT offense was already in field goal position due to turnovers or a bad punt.

The problem is an indecisive QB who doesn't appear to have the physical strengths to play at this level and who also makes critical mental mistakes.

Clawson has to sit Mitch. If he doesn't he risks losing the team due to preferential treatment. If a rb had multiple fumbles in back to back games do you think he wouldn't sit?

We also had 31 first downs to Ga Tech's 13. You almost have to work your ass off to lose a game with that kind of a margin.... unless you give the other team the ball the entire game!!

The o line gave him plenty of time and created over 200 yds rushing.

The defense held GT to 14 earned points (9 points the GT offense was already in field goal position due to turnovers or a bad punt.

The problem is an indecisive QB who doesn't appear to have the physical strengths to play at this level and who also makes critical mental mistakes.

Clawson has to sit Mitch. If he doesn't he risks losing the team due to preferential treatment. If a rb had multiple fumbles in back to back games do you think he wouldn't sit?
1st Wake home game I've been to in forever. Was glad it didn't pour. But I'll split the difference with you and JOJ on the OL. We run blocked fine for the most part, but passpro was poor. Griffis didn't often have time, but I agree he has been indecisive and he also holds it too long. The other problem I'm seeing with the passing game is we don't have any elite WRs after Greene's injury. I haven't seen guys getting separation. And while our D was solid for the most part, we weren't getting any pressure on the QB and were susceptible to some big downfield pass plays. ST didn't exactly help much either.

WF had both future NFL OL Justin Heron and Phil Haynes on that team too. GB starter Zach Tom was on the roster as well. Not sure if he played that season.

Challenge accepted. I'm going to watch the spring game tonight and see if Kern was really as horrible as you are saying he was.
He was somehow worse than Mitch in that game.. all that needs to be said. And really just watch the first drive if you want to see another strip sack fumble returned for a TD.

The other takeaway I had from watching it is "wtf happened to Will Towns?".. did he drop off the roster or injured or something? He actually looked pretty solid in that one.. most of Kerns positive yardage early was short passes to him with YAC

It doesn't matter. The Spring Game almost 6 months ago doesn't outweigh the first four games of the season.

Yeah, this is a legitimately desperate rebuttal.

“Well, 6 months ago he looked better !!”

He’s looked pretty bad recently idk ymmv

Is Griffis the next Hartman?
Probably not, but to place the entire blame on his shoulders after the GT fiasco is not totally accurate.
The overall performance of both the D-Line and the O-Line were equally to blame. Their performance harkened back to the first two years of Clawson's tenure.
The GT quarterback had all day to throw and was rarely rushed on his passing attempts. Griffis SELDOM had time to set his feet before the pocket collapsed.
Placing 100% of the blame on the quarterback is a standard tradition that does not apply to the GT game.
Mrs Griffis, we are pulling for your son but he has put us in a really bad position.

Yeah, this is a legitimately desperate rebuttal.

“Well, 6 months ago he looked better !!”

He’s looked pretty bad recently idk ymmv
No, PH is trying to spin this the other way around and say that because (5th year QB) Kern looked bad 6 months ago, that doesn't matter now.

The evidence shows

Mitch good in spring game -> bad in real games

but somehow he still wants to believe

Kern bad in spring game -> better that Mitch in real games

It's really hoping against hope to defy the odds against overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and we're not talking about some young QB who has a much steeper learning curve here either, it's a guy who has been in the program even longer than Mitch

I have no idea if Kern is any good. And Mitch hasn't shown anything these past two games to make him an auto-selection to start vs. Clemson. Even if the coaches think his ceiling is higher than Kern.

The floor is the issue right now. It's incredibly low for QB play. You just can't be as careless with the ball as Griffis has been. If it was another position player, this wouldn't even be a debate.

But Mitch wasn't that good in the spring game either.

Look, it's fine to think one way about our QB situation in April. But it's silly to rely on that take after what we've seen in four live games against real competition.

cookout, you seem to be saying, "Yes Griffis has played poorly and cost us the Tech game, but the backup wasn't good in a scrimmage in April, so we're stuck with Griffis." I disagree with that take.

single plays against Clemson are career-defining for both Michael Kern and Jason Anderson

So cut down on his reads and get receivers open more quickly instead of slow meshing and PA. He doesn't know what to do with the ball.
I think he looks best in the slow mesh and worst in the standard drop back situation. On the standard drop back he bounces around and seems to have no idea what to do, so he holds the ball too long and gets sacked or the pass gets batted down. On the slow mesh his feet are stable and he can pull and throw the deep ball that isn't going to get batted down.

No, PH is trying to spin this the other way around and say that because (5th year QB) Kern looked bad 6 months ago, that doesn't matter now.

The evidence shows

Mitch good in spring game -> bad in real games

but somehow he still wants to believe

Kern bad in spring game -> better that Mitch in real games

It's really hoping against hope to defy the odds against overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and we're not talking about some young QB who has a much steeper learning curve here either, it's a guy who has been in the program even longer than Mitch

I think what many of us are saying is "can it really hurt to give Kern a try?" We have a known in Griffis' first four games and no one knows the unknown other than a scrimmage game from 6 months ago. So what if Kern doesn't look great against Clemson? I think we all have a very good idea how Griffis will look. I don't think anyone on here is claiming Kern to be the savior of this program or the next Riley Skinner. Many of us would by happy if a QB threw to our own players.

Back