• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GT Game Thread

But you just said the weight matters. Weight is weight. Unless they're playing football in space, it's part of the whole equation.
If a bunch of different caps were being tested, with the goal of figuring out which one is better AND why, then knowing the weight of each cap would be important (as would knowing the material composition, thickness of the material, etc). But if you are just trying to figure out if a cap is better than no cap, then you just test both groups to see if there are different forces and/or rates of concussion - the weight is not going to help answer any of those questions.

Pretty big game tomorrow y'all.

Given the rest of our schedule there is a large difference in 4-0 instead of 3-1 heading into the bye.

Gotta be ready out of the gate this week. If we lay an egg in a half like we did in Norfolk we're going to lose by double digits.
Tech is much better than their 1-2 record I think.

Their QB is pretty damn good - need to get to him early and give him the happy feet. 9 touchdowns to just 1 INT so far.

Tech is much better than their 1-2 record I think.
Absolutely. I think Tech is similar to us the past two years. Great Offense, trash defense. They are averaging over 500 yds of offense (and it's balanced, 300 in the air, 200 on the ground). But also, similar to us, they have had some red zone woes despite a prolific offense.

They are much better than 1-2, and I think our 3-0 is a little deceiving.

D is going to have to step up big time because I don't think our O (even against their D) can keep pace.

Their QB is pretty damn good - need to get to him early and give him the happy feet. 9 touchdowns to just 1 INT so far.
Yeah, he's been solid. To play devil's advocate though, if he was that good, he'd still be at A&M. In 6 games as a sophomore, he completed 55% of his passes for 1220 yards, 7 TDs and 6 INTs.

Yep. Haynes King, good size, can throw and can run. GT also has a new OC, Buster Faulkner (came from UGA), who appears to know what he is doing. WF's offense will need to have its best game of the season to win. The WF defense is improved, but GT will score points.

Yeah, he's been solid. To play devil's advocate though, if he was that good, he'd still be at A&M. In 6 games as a sophomore, he completed 55% of his passes for 1220 yards, 7 TDs and 6 INTs.
A lot of King's struggles at A&M are on Jimbo.

They are allowing 6.39 yards per carry this year on 113 rushes. That seems...exploitable hopefully.

They are allowing 6.39 yards per carry this year on 113 rushes. That seems...exploitable hopefully.
I know we ran the ball well against Vandy and to an extent well in the 2nd half against ODU, but the jury is still out for me on our running game.

We've run over 4 YPC in a year just once the last 5 years (in 2018), and only 3 times since 2008.

The jury isn't really out overall on Clawson, we don't have a good running game haha. It may change this year, but I expect it to really be more of the same and it's a "feature" of our unique offense instead of a bug. At 3.83 YPC this year.

We're never going to just ram it down other team's throats and be successful at it as an overall philosophy.

I do think we will rely more on the running game this year to help settle Mitch down and move the offense up to set up our normal stuff, but I don't think it will ever be reviewed as traditionally successful.

We've run over 4 YPC in a year just once the last 5 years (in 2018), and only 3 times since 2008.

The jury isn't really out overall on Clawson, we don't have a good running game haha. It may change this year, but I expect it to really be more of the same and it's a "feature" of our unique offense instead of a bug. At 3.83 YPC this year.

We're never going to just ram it down other team's throats and be successful at it as an overall philosophy.
If you take out QB stuff (because it's garbage sacks are included in this stuff)

RBs are at 5.61 ypc. Were at 4.46 through 3 games last year, 4.24 in all of 2022.

Don't know if continues but so far so good

GT's QB coach has completely revamped King's throwing motion from when he was at A&M.

The new OC has definitely been a big upgrade over the previous OC. The QB, WR, an RB rooms were all basically completely re-tooled in the offseason with lots of transfers. ( the #1 QB is a transfer. The top 2 RB's are a transfer and a player moved from another position, and all but 1 receiver are transfers).
There have definitely been red zone issues though - partially due to the RB's being on the smaller size and the OL being just OK. Also, FG team has been a big issue. GT is 7-10 on RZ tries against the 2 P5 opponents with 6 TD's and 1 FG.

The RB's and WR's are very fast, much more so than the last couple of years. OC likes to get both the WR's and RB's in space and through quick passes to them and let them use their speed to gain YAC. (Some of this is likely due to the OL not being able to seemingly hold their backs very long). QB Haynes is also a dangerous runner.

Defense has taken a big step back compared to last season. Front 7 appears to lack any real playmakers. Has a hard time stopping the run and a hard time getting any pressure without blitzing.

I'm expecting a high scoring game tomorrow.

The road to Fenway continues tomorrow and it's time to come out hungry and move the ball. Tech has played two pretty solid offenses in Louisville and Ole Miss so far but they've also allowed almost 8.5 yards a play through those two games and Ole Miss hit 550 yards in 56 plays. Wake SHOULD be able to move the football and we need to avoid mistakes (bad interceptions, protect the football, cliches, etc.) and capitalize when we're in the red zone. I believe Ole Miss had 10 scoring opportunities (inside the 40) so we need to get into their side of the field early and often.

Think this has a 34-27, 38-30 type feel to it. Let's win the race to 30.

My big question for this GT team is how comfortable are they airing it out?

Haynes King's ADOT is 9.2, good for 86th out of 145 qualifying QBs. They attempted 12 passes 10+ yards down the field in the UL game, over half of them came in the last ~7 minutes of game time when they were scrambling after blowing a huge lead.

Same thing against Ole Miss, didn't really push the ball down the field until they felt absolutely pressured to.

They're not an option team but their entire game plan is getting the ball out quickly and short and seeing if you can make a tackle/stay in your gaps. That feels like the opposite way to attack Wake's defense but shrug

Back