• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guns

Let me know what y'all think about the S&W AR15. I've kind of been wanting an AR15 but can't decide and don't want to spend over $1,000 on something I can't hunt with.

What do you want to hunt with .223?

In Virginia, I think the smallest caliber you can hunt deer with is .243. Essentially, a .223 would just be a range gun for me. I want one but the next gun I buy will probably be a decent bolt action rifle that I can use to hunt if I decide to get into that. I'd probably go with a .270.

so far the S&W looks nice; he's hoping to get out and shoot it today (public rifle ranges are few and far between, so he'll probably head up to the hills and shoot in the woods). he was like a little kid on Christmas yesterday.

Thought there was a state-wide caliber restriction in NC as well, but I just looked it up, and it's up to the counties some of which require larger than a .22 and some of which have no minimum.

I've got two Remington .270 bolt actions, one wood stock and one synthetic, and highly recommend them.

Thought there was a state-wide caliber restriction in NC as well, but I just looked it up, and it's up to the counties some of which require larger than a .22 and some of which have no minimum.

I've got two Remington .270 bolt actions, one wood stock and one synthetic, and highly recommend them.

I'll probably get a Remington 700 (one with the better safety) in .270 with a synthetic stock. I'll probably also get a Remington 870 pump 12 gauge shotgun sometime too.

I have hunted with a 5.56/.223 and taken down deer no problem. Not the round for long distance shooting, but if you have a good optic and skill, shot placement will take them down no problem. Ammo is also key, you can't use that Hornady red tip, you need a power point jhp..

But obviously 556 isn't the best choice for all..

Sadly, I am the poster boy for your concern. I have managed to break my .45 in the course of cleaning it. (I am still trying to find the name of the part I broke so that I can answer richis711's question to me regarding what is wrong with it.)

I appreciate a man who can admit this type of mistake. I have been there...more than once!

I own several handguns, a couple of rifles and a few shotguns...No better pistol than a 1911 Colt...Love Glocks also...

In Virginia, I think the smallest caliber you can hunt deer with is .243. Essentially, a .223 would just be a range gun for me. I want one but the next gun I buy will probably be a decent bolt action rifle that I can use to hunt if I decide to get into that. I'd probably go with a .270.

You can't go wrong with a 270...sure the .223 can drop a deer, but the .270 is so much more versatile for hunting.

Going to bump this since I recently got my CCP and I'm trying to figure out what I want. Does anyone carry a glock 23 or glock 27? I've shot the 27 and it's snappy but i'm feeling like the 23 is just to clunky to carry concealed properly. Anyone have any suggestions?

s&w bodyguard 380. slim, compact, good for CCP.

Going to bump this since I recently got my CCP and I'm trying to figure out what I want. Does anyone carry a glock 23 or glock 27? I've shot the 27 and it's snappy but i'm feeling like the 23 is just to clunky to carry concealed properly. Anyone have any suggestions?
Walther PPS
Glock 26/27/30
Kahr PM9
Ruger LC9
Kel-Tec PF-9

Springfield Xd
Glock 19

I carry a Kimber cdp pro II... Love it for carry.

Did anybody see the Kriss Vector that they pimped out last night on the season premiere of Sons of Guns? Holy crap that was ridiculous.

Great for varmints. In places like Wyoming, cattle and sheep ranchers practically beg hunters to come out and thin the prairie dog populations on their land because of the injuries their livestock can sustain stepping in their holes. The .223 along with the .220 Swift are the calibers of choice.

Great for varmints. In places like Wyoming, cattle and sheep ranchers practically beg hunters to come out and thin the prairie dog populations on their land because of the injuries their livestock can sustain stepping in their holes. The .223 along with the .220 Swift are the calibers of choice.

Trust me, I'm very familiar with the uses of the .223 and 5.56mm. I was trying to draw out what he wanted to hunt in a rifle in order to make a better recommendation. If you're shooting varmints, it's hard to beat the 223. While it can take a deer as well, I think there are better calibers out there for multipurpose hunting like the .270. The OP's question was a little confusing to me so I was trying to draw out some more information. While you CAN hunt with the .223/AR, there are better platforms out there depending on what he wants to do.

Trust me, I'm very familiar with the uses of the .223 and 5.56mm. I was trying to draw out what he wanted to hunt in a rifle in order to make a better recommendation. If you're shooting varmints, it's hard to beat the 223. While it can take a deer as well, I think there are better calibers out there for multipurpose hunting like the .270. The OP's question was a little confusing to me so I was trying to draw out some more information. While you CAN hunt with the .223/AR, there are better platforms out there depending on what he wants to do.

Ah, gotcha. And I agree wholeheartedly. My dad was a gunsmith and hunter and specialized depending on the targeted game, but the .270 was a favorite of his.

Back