• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Haas's coach admits negativity on social media and internet affected Haas's decision

Well, I can't say it was a serious career. It was class B and allowed me a visa to stay for the 2 1/2 years I lived in Bron. Bron is a sattelite community of Lyon. The mayor saw me playing pickup ball one day and asked "who is louis?"

Wound up playing in Region V (Rhone) for the Canal + affiliate. Made peanuts (around 1250 francs a week/ 300 skwags) and all the food and wine I could eat and drink. Accomodations were always good. Had a chance to spend several weeks at a time in multiple wine regions (Beaujolais, etc.)

All in all a truly fantastic time...the young French kids were good to me...I was 6-7 years older than the other kids and they got a kick out of making me talk about the US or sing the National Anthem in the locker. Mature kids. Might have been the military conscription but they were all surprisingly more mature than I and yet they were my juniors. Good people. Good memories.

I'm certain Wrangor's knowledge of hoops is more extensive than my own...if he coached collegiately. But I can still have my opinion about this Deacon team, eh?

Did you play in high school?

You don't read well. He said if he was the kid's high school coach, he would steer him away from Wake and towards Purdue.

This. If I was his high school coach and observed the situation I would recommend Purdue. That is reality. Bz is on his way out. The reality that he has 1 year left and hasn't been renewed is sign enough. He will be gone after this year or Wellman will renew him for at least 3 additional years.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I guess the word of a basketball coach is infallible...wait how about Coach [Redacted]?

I don't care what his background is, if would advocate steering recruits away from Wake because of his personal dislike of the coach, that's inexcusable.

I just states my opinion, I never told you not to have one. You said there was a firestorm coming haas' way. I asked from where that storm would come. You never really answered the question.

If haas asked me right now I would tell him that I loved wake and that whether Bz is the coach or not that he would never regret attending wake. Some of the greatest years of my life and would probably be the same for him.

Well, now that Lectro has announced his pedigree, maybe Wellman can add him to the list of pro-Bz quotes!

There is not strong evidence at all. Both Haas and his high school coach made statements about the negativity component when pressed to do so. Haas said that the negativity is everywhere and didn't really play a role while the coach said in the same interview that it "was part of it" but then went on to say that he wasn't sure "what role it played." To say that there is "strong evidence that the negative press...was a significant factor in Haas changing his commitment" is incorrect given the statements we have from both Haas and his coach. It flies in the face of all facts we have on the Haas issue.

Sounded like they backed off a little when the news media started pressing the issue. See the title of this thread.

I just states my opinion, I never told you not to have one. You said there was a firestorm coming haas' way. I asked from where that storm would come. You never really answered the question.

If haas asked me right now I would tell him that I loved wake and that whether Bz is the coach or not that he would never regret attending wake. Some of the greatest years of my life and would probably be the same for him.

OK, well said. Sounds like you are a true Wake fan. Can't say that for some people on this board.

OK, well said. Sounds like you are a true Wake fan. Can't say that for some people on this board.

What's the criteria for being a TRUE Wake fan? Because I'll take an oath, just like McCarthy would want. TRY ME

OK, point taken, but there is strong evidence that the negative press by certain vociferous Wake fans was a significant factor in Haas changing his commitment at the last minute. Ironically, these guys are going to be disappointed if [Redacted] gets that extension and we missed out on a prized recruit.

If you are right, then our AD is wrong. RW says that the fans will be back WHEN we start winning. Given the strength of the competition in the ACC, there is a minimum level of talent that must be attracted to your program if you expect to build a winning basketball program in the ACC.

Could it be that fan support is needed BEFORE we can consistently attract the talent necessary to win?

Last edited:
If you are right, then our AD is wrong. RW says that the fans will be back WHEN we start winning. Given the strength of the competition in the ACC, there is a minimum level of talent that must be attracted to your program if you expect to build a winning basketball program in the ACC.

Could it be that fan support is needed BEFORE we can consistently attract the talent necessary to win?

True, but it is self destructive to run off the few prize recruits we do attract while we are going through this difficult period. BTW i'm not pro [Redacted], just pro Wake Forest.

True, but it is self destructive to run off the few prize recruits we do attract while we are going through this difficult period. BTW i'm not pro [Redacted], just pro Wake Forest.

Agreed...Buzz shouldn't have run Haas off.

If he asked my opinion on Bz i would say he is an awful coach. That is the dilemma most fans find themselves in. We have a place in our heart for our alma mater but reality is that our bball coach sucks. No reason to sugarcoat a turd.

The sooner we move on from Bz the better. Sucks for him but that is reality. He can't get it done here.

Look, we all know Haas is a strong Christian with high morale values. I am sure the coaches were spewing integrity crap at him. He figured out that the program he commited to was the exact opposite. Nothing else to be said.
If there is anyone on this board that would come with the above take it has got to be you.

Back