• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hartman out indefinitely

Personally I hope Clemson has no idea who we’re going to start going into that game.

Unless of course it means that Hartman has been back and is perfectly healthy.

Serious question: would it really matter that much? I mean our offensive system is very specific and it’s not going to change regardless of who we put under center. It’s not like we have one guy who’s a running QB vs one who’s a better thrower. Or a game plan that’s predicated on airing it out vs grinding out yards on the ground.

Whether Trump's guilty of anything or not, if they haven't been able to pin him on anything yet we have the most incompetent legal system on the planet! They have been investigating him for 6 straight years and he's in Florida getting ready for his tee time this morning. I know all the usual reasons why they haven't prosecuted him for anything but damn! Makes you wonder.
Yeah having executive immunity from prosecution certainly helps.

Serious question: would it really matter that much? I mean our offensive system is very specific and it’s not going to change regardless of who we put under center. It’s not like we have one guy who’s a running QB vs one who’s a better thrower. Or a game plan that’s predicated on airing it out vs grinding out yards on the ground.

Agree. Does anyone here really think Clemson is scared or we're going to throw a monkey wrench in their game plan?

Unless Griffis runs more than pass by a significant amount and is putting up over 100 yards rushing and our O is running for over 300 yds/game with RPO I don't see it really mattering as expect the difference in style is incremental.

Unless Griffis runs more than pass by a significant amount and is putting up over 100 yards rushing and our O is running for over 300 yds/game with RPO I don't see it really mattering as expect the difference in style is incremental.

I agree. Such is the notable difference between Wolford, Newman, and Hartman but I doubt Venables cared that much. We’ll see about the new guy.

I agree. Such is the notable difference between Wolford, Newman, and Hartman but I doubt Venables cared that much. We’ll see about the new guy.

I think senior year Wolford was out vs Clemson. Hinton played that game to a 28-14 L if I remember correctly. We didn't do the slow mesh yet, either. It was more of a standard RPO. I don't think the mesh got super slow until Newman.

I think senior year Wolford was out vs Clemson. Hinton played that game to a 28-14 L if I remember correctly. We didn't do the slow mesh yet, either. It was more of a standard RPO. I don't think the mesh got super slow until Newman.

I was at that game and it was so frustrating because we could have very easily beaten them if we finished drives.

Agree and good post. I’m sure Clemson’s game plan is predicated on our own belief that disrupting the mesh point causes everything else to collapse (which is true and was exploited last year by them and Pitt, in particular). Quick slants and underneath passes are probably how we keep them from sending the house at the center of our offensive attack, and they would likely prepare for that. Soooo, unless we have something to combat that, then ‘no’ it probably doesn’t matter a ton. With that said, if, and I mean if, we specifically orchestrate a game plan to counteract Clemson’s aggressive defense…I want Sam in the backfield slinging passes down the field to Donovan, Morin, AT, Key, etc. I’m sure Mitch can do it, but Sam is kind of perfect for a fast tempo passing assault for large gains at a time or in a series. Force those ref fucks to call PI, force Clemson to drop their LBs into space, force them into preventing an air attack. If we get into a run game, clock management, conservative play calling, etc. scenario and try to gut out a 27-24 type of W…we’re toast IMHO. We need to drop 3-4 long TD passes on them and get them sped up on offense to have a decent shot. Their defense is going to be scary good this year…most likely better than State’s or potentially anyone else’s for that matter.

Hope we go 3-0 to start the season and the above is something we need to worry about. Go Deacs!

I was at that game and it was so frustrating because we could have very easily beaten them if we finished drives.

Was there too and remember it vividly. If we give Clemson enough chances to stop our O, despite how good it will likely be, I’d give Clemson’s defense the edge. Finishing long drives is exceptionally difficult with our style of offense against their style of defense…they’re just so damn fast and our RBs will likely struggle running the ball…particularly the closer we get to the end zone. We can beat Clemson if we throw caution to the wind and turn our WR room loose early and often. Let’s disrupt their plan and make their new coordinators adjust midway through the game. IMHO, that’s how we can force a few mistakes and hopefully come out with the W. It could also be a top 10 matchup if we win in conceiving fashion for the first three games and there are upsets many aren’t predicting. Hope this is the year Clawson gets this W…you know he wants it badly especially given how good Clemson will likely be this year.

Agree and good post. I’m sure Clemson’s game plan is predicated on our own belief that disrupting the mesh point causes everything else to collapse (which is true and was exploited last year by them and Pitt, in particular). Quick slants and underneath passes are probably how we keep them from sending the house at the center of our offensive attack, and they would likely prepare for that. Soooo, unless we have something to combat that, then ‘no’ it probably doesn’t matter a ton. With that said, if, and I mean if, we specifically orchestrate a game plan to counteract Clemson’s aggressive defense…I want Sam in the backfield slinging passes down the field to Donovan, Morin, AT, Key, etc. I’m sure Mitch can do it, but Sam is kind of perfect for a fast tempo passing assault for large gains at a time or in a series. Force those ref fucks to call PI, force Clemson to drop their LBs into space, force them into preventing an air attack. If we get into a run game, clock management, conservative play calling, etc. scenario and try to gut out a 27-24 type of W…we’re toast IMHO. We need to drop 3-4 long TD passes on them and get them sped up on offense to have a decent shot. Their defense is going to be scary good this year…most likely better than State’s or potentially anyone else’s for that matter.

Hope we go 3-0 to start the season and the above is something we need to worry about. Go Deacs!

Not sure if Claiborne will see much of the field this year @ RB, but whether him or motioning KeShawn into backfield so could have quick screens to them to use their speed and having AT, Donovan blocking for them could open up so nice hit plays on the outside when CU will be looking to collapse the pocket. Then after peppering them with a few of those hitting them with the deep ball after youve forced the DBs to play close to line to prepare for screens and have AT/Donovan/Morin abuse them deep.

Not sure if Claiborne will see much of the field this year @ RB, but whether him or motioning KeShawn into backfield so could have quick screens to them to use their speed and having AT, Donovan blocking for them could open up so nice hit plays on the outside when CU will be looking to collapse the pocket. Then after peppering them with a few of those hitting them with the deep ball after youve forced the DBs to play close to line to prepare for screens and have AT/Donovan/Morin abuse them deep.

Basically you know CU's front 7 is stellar and we absolutely MUST put constant pressure on the DBs as if there is a weakness I think that is where you try to exploit and no better way than quick screens, out patterns and deep ball. Trying to just run up middle/off tackle/etc or throws over the middle are going to be tough sledding and put us in 2nd and 3rd and longs and make it very easy for the DBs to not be exposed and play off and just avoid mistakes.

Totally agree. Only thing that worries me about screens with our offense would be the edge blocking. Our WRs are fast and shifty, but they will get eaten alive by Clemson’s LBs and DBs from a pure blocking standpoint, IMHO. Would really like to see us work the middle of the field and roll Sam out some. I feel like that has been an area where we have had success and Blake is a weapon at TE that we can utilize a bit more (same thing with Ellison).

If we get man coverage on AT or Donovan…toss that tater to them every.single.fucking.time. Get some PI calls on Clemson early, drop a few long TD passes on them and keep our foot on the throttle. That’s really the only chance we have if we’re being honest. Our OL is going to be stout and maybe the best we will have had under Clawson, but Clemson’s starting DL and LBs are almost all NFL draft picks. Kind of crazy. They’re going to get to Sam and the slow, methodical mesh is going to eventually fall apart. If that happens and we get down a few scores…we’re fucked.

Also, I’m posting as much football-related stuff to offset the ding dongs arguing about vaccines and politics. Don’t care which side you’re on, but I hope anyone talking about it on this thread gets diarrhea.

"Get some PI calls on Clemson"

Way easier said than done.

Basically you know CU's front 7 is stellar and we absolutely MUST put constant pressure on the DBs as if there is a weakness I think that is where you try to exploit and no better way than quick screens, out patterns and deep ball. Trying to just run up middle/off tackle/etc or throws over the middle are going to be tough sledding and put us in 2nd and 3rd and longs and make it very easy for the DBs to not be exposed and play off and just avoid mistakes.

Bingo. I hope the staff thinks like this going into this game. I know we have a system and the odds support continuing to run that system and stick to the plan, but it hasn’t worked against Clemson under Clawson for a reason. If we have to line up in the Wildcat with Ellison to punch the ball into the end zone…we are taking a L. I want to see AT, Key, Greene and Morin running in for six. If that happens, everything else can be added in doses to keep their defense honest. If we do the same ol’ shit against them as we do against Vandy…

"Get some PI calls on Clemson"

Way easier said than done.

No doubt. Last year was infuriating when it wasn’t called early in the game, but we totally went away from what could have generated some of those same calls later (playing @ Clemson didn’t help).

If we had to attack any part of Clemson’s defense, it’s their secondary. I trust Clawson to try to exploit that one ‘weakness’ with what seems to be our biggest strength.

Problem for us is the game the ACC perceives as its marquee game of the year is the weekend after ours and involves Clemson

The ACC should consider those the first two of the three games that will decide the Atlantic with the third coming on Nov 5 in Raleigh.

If Clemson wins the first two, the Atlantic will be over on October 1.

Who is everyone pulling for this weekend with the UNC-App State game?

If App wins their fans will somehow turn that into App being better than Wake. And that we are afraid to play them. I think my App friends are likely more obnoxious than anyone you guys probably have to deal with.

If UNC wins, well that just sucks always.

I dont know how to feel.

Back