• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the #buzzout movement been struck a fatal blow?

I have to say that the assumption that someone's scoring can be explained by some linear regression is faulty.
This. Don't mean to go all Numbers on everyone, but linear regression is not suitable with that data set. The R-squared value I would guess is very low.

Horrible idea. So many thingse can go wrong and then State has the ball on their side of the court. You hip that ball hard 3/4 down the court period. Not a lob to half court. Bad call by bzd but your solution the big stupid

Completely disagree. You trust your players to win. Stop thinking like a loser.

VCU and Shaka lost at Richmond tonight.
Draw your own conclusions.

In OT on the road in an intra-city rivalry against a team that's not too bad to break a 13-game win streak. The conclusion I draw is that that loss says jack shit about Shaka and VCU.

Shaka made it to a Final 4 with a mid major. A loss to snap a 13 game winning streak does not change my opinion of him whatsoever.

VCU and Shaka lost at Richmond tonight.
Draw your own conclusions.

I will make a conclusion that you use ridiculously small sample sizes (of one) to try and prove some major point. I further conclude that you just look like a simpleton in doing such a thing.

Shaka made it to a Final 4 with a mid major. A loss to snap a 13 game winning streak does not change my opinion of him whatsoever.

Meanwhile, the story here is that our coach's job is safe if he wins 13 games total.

I just hate that he has puts me in the precarious position of feeling a bit dirty after every game we win during the season. Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing us beat State the other night and the players getting to experience their one shining moment, but I keep thinking that with every win comes a year longer we are stuck with Bzz. I maintain he is not a good fit for the university regardless of what we do this season.

We also played an easier schedule last year than in year one. We traded VCU, Xavier, and Gonzaga for cream puffs and Seton Hall. That's two extra wins right there, and all of our ACC wins in year 2 were against teams that were much worse than they were the year before. In other words, we did improve some, but not nearly as much as 5 extra wins would indicate.

Also, you realize you pretending to know Wellman's thinking on this is really obnoxious, right?

Oh my god! Obnoxious. That's horrible! I had no idea. Because myself and deacvision and strick and fuck even that toad racer are forever sensitive to coming off obnoxious on a sports message board

Completely disagree. You trust your players to win. Stop thinking like a loser.

You have to know your personnel. We have all frosh, cj and Travis on the court. Travis walked off the court holding the ball giving bc an extra chance to win just two weeks ago. Love cj but he is the king of the ugly turnover. Those two guys have t proven to me that they have a 99% chance of not bouncing the inbounds off the other thus giving state 1 second wit the ball at their basket on an inbounds play of their own. Remember Clemson w one second?

No you throw a soft lob 3/4 court (not half) so there is essentially a jump ball for it. Or whip it hard 3/4 court. Soft lob is safer

It's not supposed to predict his scoring or anything. I was just looking for trends over the year in scoring and rebounding. He has been pretty damn good his last 5 games (all in ACC play).

So he's due for another 0 pointer this weekend? I'm confused, man. Everybody likes Devin, but he's scored in double figures five times this year. I'm not sure you need to resort to regressions to say anything about that...

Whole bunch of talk several pages back about frosh improving. Looking at the whole season where the frosh have been asked to play big roles from day one I see it this way. Devin, CMM, Moto and Jones have all played with much more maturity than the average freshman. Tree has been an impact player at the very least. Cav probably is playing more like you expect a freshman to play when tossed into the fire. So either Bzz recruited much better or he's prepared them better than most freshmen around the country.

I would argue that, with the exception of Devin at times, that our freshmen are playing like freshmen, relative to the opportunities that they're given and compared to other freshmen at BCS schools.

We can all debate how much a freshman should improve from game 1 to game 15, but almost no way you can say Devin is on a natural progression. He's either been coached up or was a great recruiting find. And all I have to say is that many experts here said Devin was a foul machine and would have trouble staying on the court. I'm assuming they didn't just make that up. So what gives? Coaching?

Devin was a great recruiting find. That much is clear. Jeff [Redacted] didn't teach him his ridiculous instincts operating in the low and high posts. Perhaps the staff is teaching him how to finish stronger. That much also seems clear. I'm not sure why folks are pushing this improvement narrative on Devin. He's been a revelation at times; he's been a freshman at times. Let's see how he responds when defenses are focused on him before we start claiming, without the sample size to prove anything, that he's there now.

I don't know if RW has a 'win' number, but anyone that thinks 8-10 in the ACC is getting Bzz fired is deluded, especially with a marquee win.

I think most people agree with you about the win number, but if NC State at home and in that fashion is Jeff [Redacted]'s marquee win* in three years at Wake Forest, then "Houston, we have a problem."

*ETA: It was a great win for the players, coaches, and program.

Last edited:
You have to know your personnel. We have all frosh, cj and Travis on the court. Travis walked off the court holding the ball giving bc an extra chance to win just two weeks ago. Love cj but he is the king of the ugly turnover. Those two guys have t proven to me that they have a 99% chance of not bouncing the inbounds off the other thus giving state 1 second wit the ball at their basket on an inbounds play of their own. Remember Clemson w one second?

No you throw a soft lob 3/4 court (not half) so there is essentially a jump ball for it. Or whip it hard 3/4 court. Soft lob is safer

You potentially chance throwing it too far and it going out of bounds on the other end, whereupon State gets the ball out under their own basket. What we did at the end was the worst possible scenario I thought. I was screaming at the tv.

I will make a conclusion that you use ridiculously small sample sizes (of one) to try and prove some major point. I further conclude that you just look like a simpleton in doing such a thing.

I'm the simpleton that is making a statement to prove a major point? I didn't even state an opinion just shared a fact. You managed to get all defensive and aggressive which is pretty sad. Glad my interactions with you are limited to the internet.
If I was asked my opinion I would say I bet there is a huge difference in how most of our fans view our loss on the road to Richmond compared to VCU's loss on the road to Richmond. So far, my sample size of 4 responses indicates that I was right.
I'm not suggesting at all that this proves [Redacted] is a good coach or Shaka is not. However, I do believe that Shaka or Stevens to Wake after this season is just as unlikely as it was 3 years ago.

You potentially chance throwing it too far and it going out of bounds on the other end, whereupon State gets the ball out under their own basket. What we did at the end was the worst possible scenario I thought. I was screaming at the tv.

I think you have to trust that a scholly basketball player can keep a ball in play but throw it past half court. The problem throwing a short pass to CJ is that if Lorenzo Brown gets a hand of it and it goes off CJ, they also have the ball on their end. It seems to me far more likely that CJ or Travis can lob a ball that goes roughly at the top of the key on the far side. I suppose maybe that was what was called and he "short-armed" for fear of what you brought up and that is why it only went to half court

However, I do believe that Shaka or Stevens to Wake after this season is just as unlikely as it was 3 years ago.

This has absolutely nothing to do with VCU losing to Richmond. Why don't you just come right out and say what you meant by posting "Draw your own conclusions", instead of trying to be sly and clever.

I think Stevens is going to wait for the Duke job or try to build a dynasty at Butler. Shaka is our best chance at landing a big name coach if we do fire Bzz sometime soon. We may be more likely now to land Shaka than 3 years ago when he was making his Final Four run during our coaching search, but it's still a slim chance.

I think Stevens is going to wait for the Duke job or try to build a dynasty at Butler. Shaka is our best chance at landing a big name coach if we do fire Bzz sometime soon. We may be more likely now to land Shaka than 3 years ago when he was making his Final Four run during our coaching search, but it's still a slim chance.

If we beat GTech and Tech keeps losing ... Shaka may be an ACC coach somewhere else.

I'm the simpleton that is making a statement to prove a major point? I didn't even state an opinion just shared a fact. You managed to get all defensive and aggressive which is pretty sad. Glad my interactions with you are limited to the internet.
If I was asked my opinion I would say I bet there is a huge difference in how most of our fans view our loss on the road to Richmond compared to VCU's loss on the road to Richmond. So far, my sample size of 4 responses indicates that I was right.
I'm not suggesting at all that this proves [Redacted] is a good coach or Shaka is not. However, I do believe that Shaka or Stevens to Wake after this season is just as unlikely as it was 3 years ago.

hahahaha

You aren't nearly as clever as you think you are, pork chop.

I think you have to trust that a scholly basketball player can keep a ball in play but throw it past half court. The problem throwing a short pass to CJ is that if Lorenzo Brown gets a hand of it and it goes off CJ, they also have the ball on their end. It seems to me far more likely that CJ or Travis can lob a ball that goes roughly at the top of the key on the far side. I suppose maybe that was what was called and he "short-armed" for fear of what you brought up and that is why it only went to half court

If Brown touches it and then it hits CJ before going out of bounds that would have taken up a great portion, if not all, of the 1.2 seconds that were on the clock.

Back