• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hattrick (Online Soccer Management Game)

Challenge 1: "Naming your arena" - 5,000 US$
Challenge 2: "Promoting a youth player" - 5,000 US$
Challenge 3: "Checking finances" - 10,000 US$
Challenge 4: "Checking your players" - 10,000 US$
Challenge 5: "Hire a staff member" - 10,000 US$
Challenge 6: "Searching for other users, teams, etc." - 10,000 US$
Challenge 7: "Booking a friendly" - 15,000 US$
Challenge 8: "Placing orders for a match" (4-4-2) - 25,000 US$
Challenge 9: "Joining a forum" - 10,000 US$
Challenge 10: "Bid on a player" - 15,000 US$
Challenge 11: "Checking match results" - 10,000 US$
Challenge 12: "Transfer listing a player" - 15,000 US$
Challenge 13: "Choosing training type" - 10,000 US$
Challenge 14: "Placing a new match order" (4-4-2) - 10,000 US$
Challenge 15: "Fill in your details" - 20,000 US$
Challenge 16: "Read about Hattrick Supporter" - 10,000 US$
Challenge 17: "Getting Hattrick Credits" - 10,000 US$
Challenge 18: "Changing formation" - 10,000 US$

Cool. As you complete each one, you'll get the money associated with each task. First things first - do not spend any money! It's really easy to blow money on things you don't need right now. I would say it's very important to familiarize yourself with the game and the rules before you make any purchases (staff, players, arena, etc.). Hattrick has stated overtly that they have a tough time retaining new users because of the initial complexity of the game AND because it's easy for new teams to go bankrupt or lose interest.

I'll go through each step with you.

So am I just waiting at this point to get a team, or can I do some things?

Have you received an e-mail saying your team is ready? Or when you log into hattrick, does it look like you have a team page and links to players/arena/coach etc.?

Have you received an e-mail saying your team is ready? Or when you log into hattrick, does it look like you have a team page and links to players/arena/coach etc.?

No e-mail, and it says my team activation has been delayed.

No e-mail, and it says my team activation has been delayed.

Hm. My guess is that you won't be able to do anything until your team is activated. I remember I had to wait a day or two until I got my team.

Knowing it may take a day or two to actually get my team I'm going to go ahead and create one to start learning.

Couple of questions:

1st: Does it matter what League/Region I'm in?

2nd: I'm sure I can create whatever team name I want, but do people generally go serious or goofy with these?

Knowing it may take a day or two to actually get my team I'm going to go ahead and create one to start learning.

Couple of questions:

1st: Does it matter what League/Region I'm in?

2nd: I'm sure I can create whatever team name I want, but do people generally go serious or goofy with these?

1. Region matters very little and is basically insignificant. The only situation it matters is if you happen to be playing someone from the same region. In that case, the match becomes a derby match (rivalry game) and home-field advantage won't be as prominent compared to a regular match. Don't worry about this.

You will be randomly placed in one of the 1,024 division VI series. It doesn't really matter, either. Some will be tougher than others, but on the whole the competition is woeful and you should be able to win the division within a couple seasons and move up to division V.

2. It's all over the place - you can do whatever you want. My name is HailToTheDeacons.

Well, I'm in. It says I'll have my team in 13 minutes, and I've got all those challenges to complete too.

Challenge 1: "Naming your arena" - 5,000 US$

There's a 'My Club' tab once you login with your team. This will be your home base of operations - one of the links within the My Club section is labeled 'Arena'. This is your stadium where you'll play your home games. All you need to do here is name the arena (I assume there will be a very obvious link on this page to do so).

Challenge 2: "Promoting a youth player" - 5,000 US$

Another sublink in My Club section will be something to the effect of 'Youth Team' or 'Youth System' (I'm not entirely sure because there are multiple youth systems in this game, and I do not use the one this challenge is referring to). All you need to is go to this section and promote a youth player - I assume this is going to be obvious. The player you promote is going to suck balls. No worries, you're just trying to complete the challenge and get some dough.

Challenge 3: "Checking finances" - 10,000 US$

Another link will be 'Finances'. Click it. Challenge done.

Challenge 4: "Checking your players" - 10,000 US$

Same thing, only with 'Players'. Easy.

Challenge 5: "Hire a staff member" - 10,000 US$

Go to the 'Staff' tab. You have the ability to hire and fire various staff members. Each has their own benefits which I can explain more in depth later (or you can read about in the rules). Right now, just hire 1 assistant coach and call it a day.

Challenge 6: "Searching for other users, teams, etc." - 10,000 US$

For this challenge, you will need to get to the search screen. Like many pages in Hattrick, there are several ways to link to a certain page. I believe you will have an icon in the top right of your screen that looks like a magnifying glass - that's the most direct way to complete this challenge. Another way is to click the 'World' tab, and then the sublink labeled 'Search' under the 'International' heading. Once there, search for anything.

Challenge 7: "Booking a friendly" - 15,000 US$

In the 'My Club' section, click on the 'Challenges' link. This is where you can book friendlies (non-competitive matches) that you can play once a week. Their primary function is to serve as training matches. The cool thing is you can play anyone in the Hattrick world - there's 750,000+ users from ~150 countries. Anyway, from this screen you will want to challenge teams that do not already have a friendly. Once someone accepts, you will play them the following Wednesday at 7pm EST.

Challenge 8: "Placing orders for a match" (4-4-2) - 25,000 US$

Every Hattrick team has the ability to play two games every real life week - a friendly (or cup match) and a league match. League matches are at 7pm (EST) on Sundays, so this will be your first match (tomorrow) once you get your team. Under the My Club heading, click 'Matches'. There will be a list of your games. Click on the one tomorrow and find the 'Lineup' icon (looks like a pencil over a bunch of dots). Right now just place players randomly on the field - they'll want to you place a goalkeeper, 4 defenders, 4 in the midfield/wings, and 2 forwards. Click Submit and you should be done with this challenge.

Challenge 9: "Joining a forum" - 10,000 US$

Click the Forum tab and join something that looks interesting. I would recommend the USA forum. Each one of the forums essentially a separate messageboard with an active community and specific purpose.

Alright, I'm out for a bit. Please ask any questions you may have, and I can help cover the other challenges later.

I spent a couple of hours tonight working through some of this stuff and I think I've made some decent progress. Does seem like fun, we'll see if it keeps me hooked.

So far I've completed:
1 Naming your arena 5 000 US$
2 Getting a new young player 5 000 US$
3 Checking finances 10 000 US$
4 Checking your players 10 000 US$
5 Hire a staff member 10 000 US$
6 Searching for other users, teams, etc. 10 000 US$
8 Placing orders for a match (329947183) 25 000 US$
9 Joining a forum 10 000 US$
10 Bid on a player 15 000 US$
12 Transfer listing a player 15 000 US$

I also did #7 and booked a friendly, but for whatever reason it hasn't given me credit for that yet. It's on my upcoming match list though for wednesday.

I was getting towards needing to do training stuff, and it's too late/I know too little to get started with that. Where should I start learning about training?

I'm leaning towards training either GK or playmaking/midfield. GK seems tempting due to low startup cost, but will playmaking be more valuable down the road?

I assume that my goal is to train players until they're really good, sell them for a bunch of cash, and then use that cash to buy several slightly lesser players at other positions. Am I on the right track?

Yes. But training GK is not the way to start. You would have a good GK but would have to buy 10 field players. PM is the way to go here.

FWIW, I started off by training defending and would do the same if I had to do it again. You make absolute bank. However, HTTD can help you much more than I can, so listen to him. He knows what he's talking about.

I've done everything except book a friendly and need the GM to approve my details. What is next?

Zdeac do you just want to schedule a friendly so we both complete that part?

Concerning training, check this link out http://wiki.hattrick.org/wiki/Training (hattrick wiki is an excellent and exhaustive source if you ever have any questions about game mechanics).

Also, I'd say it's very important to read the manual. It's long and a lot to take in, but the more you understand, the better your experience will be (and the better your team will be, ultimately).

I'm leaning towards training either GK or playmaking/midfield. GK seems tempting due to low startup cost, but will playmaking be more valuable down the road?

I assume that my goal is to train players until they're really good, sell them for a bunch of cash, and then use that cash to buy several slightly lesser players at other positions. Am I on the right track?

As SD3 indicated, I'm biased towards PM training, but you'll be fine no matter what you train, assuming it's one of the five primary skills (goalkeeping, defending, crossing/winger, playmaking, or scoring). For the first couple seasons, your team is not going to be super competitive, so the main focus is training players and making money like you noted. You will then be able to improve your whole squad after the first sell off, plus you will have some ancillary money from ticket sales, fan clubs, etc.

Keeper training is fast and noticeable, but you can only train 2 keepers - one in the league match and one in the friendly match. Playmaking is a bit slower, but you can train 6 players fully, and 4 players (playing as wingers) get a 50% dose a week. As you will learn, midfield is very important to winning games, so you may see noticeable improved team performance with PM training versus the other ones. But again, it's up to you. I've trained PM and Keeper before and I enjoyed both - just pick one and stick to it.

Yea I've been finding some good stuff in the wiki/manual.

So what would you train, HTTD? GK, D, or Playmaking?

With 10 players it seems like D would take forever to make progress. GK would be fast but I see the downside of only having a couple of players who you can sell. Playmaking might be a good balance?

One more thing to check out, our old scout thread http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=192&f=1118&t=7248932

Their thread is not very long, and although there is a lot of chatter, we (SD3, kyithu, others) have recently helped West End Deac with his new team. It may be worth reading his questions and our comments.

Last edited:
I've done everything except book a friendly and need the GM to approve my details. What is next?

Zdeac do you just want to schedule a friendly so we both complete that part?

Judging by ZDeac's experience, it seems like there may be some lag in confirming you've booked a friendly (I think that's what they mean by a GM needs to approve your details). After you've completed that, you've got spending cash and you're free to do whatever the hell you want with your team.

I'd suggest you do a couple things to start off,
1. Pick something to train.
2. Buy the requisite trainees (make sure they are 17 or 18 and cheap)
3. Upgrade your coach to passable training (leadership is not important...make sure you choose the cheapest option here!) or even SOLID training if you can afford. Your coach's training level is the most important determining factor in training speed.
4. If you have money left over, perhaps buy a few assistant coaches, but just sit on the rest and start implementing your training regimen.
5. Also, you will want to sell any players of worth on your team, and fire the useless ones. You will only need a skeleton team at this point in the game (outside of your trainees). We can help you with this process.

Back