• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hattrick (Online Soccer Management Game)

A few more questions:

1. I got 14 new supporters today. How did I earn those?
2. Should I be making a weekly investment in my scouting network? It's currently wretched
3. Do you advise moving a junior up every week hoping for a gem that I can sell (or train if he's a good defender), or with a wretched scouting network am I probably just throwing money away?
4. I'm wading into the more serious transfer market for a couple better trainees. Sometimes these comparables seem ridiculous - they all sell for $1-5K and then there's randomly a comparable that sold for $388K.
5. I've got $190K left to spend on 5 players. I'm thinking spending ~$75K each on 2 better players (17/18yo with solid defense) and ~10-20K each on 3 lesser players. Does this sound reasonable? I think the alternative would be to blow ~100-150K on one even better player with several other not so good ones, but my gut tells me to diversify. Thoughts?

Yeah I'd definitely have a few defenders better than the others. Use them as your "A" team defense.

1. I got 14 new supporters today. How did I earn those?
2. Should I be making a weekly investment in my scouting network? It's currently wretched
3. Do you advise moving a junior up every week hoping for a gem that I can sell (or train if he's a good defender), or with a wretched scouting network am I probably just throwing money away?
4. I'm wading into the more serious transfer market for a couple better trainees. Sometimes these comparables seem ridiculous - they all sell for $1-5K and then there's randomly a comparable that sold for $388K.

1. There's an invisible capacity for supporters based on the division you are in. You will move towards that capacity very quickly to start (even if you lose every game). As your fan base becomes larger, this will tail off. Wins and losses will also start to matter as supporter mood will be more influential in determining how many new supporters you get a week.

2. No. Spend $0 on that. Once you're financially stable and making a decent amount of money every week from tickets/supporters/player sales, I'd encourage you to start a youth academy. That is the generally superior (and much more fun) youth system.

3. No. Anyone you promote is going to be absolute shit, unless you pour money into that system for a couple months.

4. Transfer compare is only a brief snapshot of the last 10 'comparable' transfers. Often times, there are players with really high TSI for the noted skills (meaning they are close to the next level in some or all of their skills) who will sell for much more. Also, players that are close to 17 years old and zero days are highly valued because of their maximum capacity to train. Sometimes, there is a range of skills within the transfer compare, AKA

Solid defending
Passing between inadequate and solid

So naturally, the solid/solid players are going to sell for a lot more, but still be included in the transfer compare. Finally, some people cheat. They'll buy their friend's (or their own on a second team, which is illegal) players for exorbitant amounts.

I just got into a little bit of a bidding war, but I think it was worth it.

17 yrs, 109 days
Passable defending
Inadequate Passing AND Playmaking

I paid $35,000 for him. When I got into the bidding it was around 18,000 I think. There weren't any good comparables in the transfer compare (they all had considerably higher TSI) but I still think it was a reasonably good purchase. What do you think?

Also, I paid 5K for an 18 year old and 100 something days who was passable defense inadequate passing. I know he's a bit on the old side, which I think is why he was so cheap, but I think I'll be okay on that one.

ETA: I've got $150K left for 3 players. I've gotten a coach and a few assistants. Can I comfortably spend that full amount? Or do I need to worry about going into debt due to weekly operations?

Last edited:
PSA: This is my new handle formerly known as "kytihu"

My team is Covington Rowdies IV.56

Wow...looks like the new boards created some new interest in Hattrick. Great to see some new blood. HTTD is doing great work as usual, so for now all I will add is to not rush anything. It seems like a lot in the beginning, but after you get your team/training set up there will be a natural "lag" in things to tinker with during the week. Therefore, being patient not only helps make sure you make the best decisions up front, it also prevents a big dropoff in thinks to work on.

Enjoy

Thanks, that's a good point. I think I'm worried about making sure I fill things out to get a full 10 trainees in the first week.

Thanks, that's a good point. I think I'm worried about making sure I fill things out to get a full 10 trainees in the first week.

You will be training these first guys for probably 9 months before you sell them (at least). I'd much rather miss the first week but get the right guy. It could be the difference between a few hundred K or more in training profit on a single player.

Not bad there on your bid ZDeac...I don't know what the TC was for him, but 35k doesn't seem that bad at all. He's an older 17 year old but his higher side skills will make him one of your better players IMO after a couple of bumps in main skill.

Thanks for the assessment; that's kind of what I figured. TC was the problem - There wasn't a comparable transfer within about 300 points of his TSI, so the TC prices were all $75K plus, but he clearly wasn't worth that.

Thanks for the assessment; that's kind of what I figured. TC was the problem - There wasn't a comparable transfer within about 300 points of his TSI, so the TC prices were all $75K plus, but he clearly wasn't worth that.

I'll use this an an opportunity to discuss TSI. Its a red herring of sorts. Sure, it does an approximate job of estimating total skills of a player I guess, but that's useless. When evaluating players, the only skills that matter are the ones they will use on the pitch. For example, a midfielder will use (in order of importance): playmaking, defending, passing. Yes, that means two midfielders with identical skills, except 1 has excellent winger and 1 has disastrous winger, will have the exact same performance on the field. However, TSI will be much higher for the first guy. No position uses all skills. Refer to the third chart on this linked page to understand which positions use which skills. http://wiki.hattrick.org/wiki/Skills

If I'm reading that wiki page it looks like passing isn't really a relevant skill for defenders. Is this true? Seems counter to what I've been working off of/others have been saying in this thread.

If so, I've probably been going about this wrong. Seems like I need to be more concerned with playmaking/winger skills for the secondary.

I'm confusing myself - straighten me out if you can!

I'll answer that with two answers:

1. No, passing does not have any direct contribution on the field among defenders.

HOWEVER

2. Cumulative passing skill for all outfield players helps determine the tactic skill your team has for some tactics. **I would suggest not worrying about this for a couple seasons at least. Play normal tactics and continue to learn about them before trying to use them. They involve somewhat complicated tradeoffs that require you to make statistical estimates in order to employ properly.

If you're training defending, realize that you'll be filling two types of positions on the field with a 5-man backline: Central defender (CD) and Wingback (WB). For CDs, I'd focus on playmaking as a secondary if you can find it. For WBs, I'd focus on winger as a secondary if you can find it. You don't necessarily need to buy 6 CD trainees and 4 WB trainees, but you might think about having a mix. I've never trained it though, so someone else with experience would be better to comment there.

If I'm reading that wiki page it looks like passing isn't really a relevant skill for defenders. Is this true? Seems counter to what I've been working off of/others have been saying in this thread.

If so, I've probably been going about this wrong. Seems like I need to be more concerned with playmaking/winger skills for the secondary.

I'm confusing myself - straighten me out if you can!

It is relevant for you in a sense that the people you will be selling your trainees to will be using tactics, so any passing skill they have will be valued. However, I wanted to point out that passing will not be that important to you in the short-term in terms of on-the-field performance.

Def try to avoid buying anyone with below about 'weak' passing. Playmaking and winger are probably more valuable as secondaries though.

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

I realized a random bid I placed earlier came through, but I think I may have done pretty well on it nonetheless. What do you think?

18 year, 66 days (a little old again, I know)
Defending: Solid
Passing: Inadequate
Winger: Weak

Paid $50K

I'm going through the license challenge now.

I don't know if this would be helpful to anyone on here, but I played the game for two years before giving it up last summer (kind of fell out of my memory a bit and I was burnt out for some reason).

I can keep people updated on what I do while I start over and why I did it. If people think this would help I can certainly do it. HTTD and others can certainly chime in. HTTD really knows what he's talking about.

I'm a little rusty on a bit, but I'm pretty sure it'll come back relatively quickly (hopefully anyways).

Just let me know!

Waiting for a GM to approve me.

I'm definitely going to be training PM again. About to start looking for players at the IM position. I don't remember exactly what's a good price and what's not for skills so it may take some time to scour the market.

Getting the initial trainees and good ones are IMO critical to enjoying the game off the bat simply because with all the losses new teams take, training pops are the most exciting part of the game.

I did see training has sped up (roughly to 150% of the previous skill) for 17 year olds (on a default scale obviously).

Going through the manual now catching up on everything that my have changed. When I stopped playing last they were changing the match engines and people weren't sure of the changes.

HTTD: where there any good HT press articles or early research on the changes there? I know that it was a big deal and I'm guessing that there were a few. If you could at some point when you get the chance, just brief me on what any key differences there are(midfield's importance was decreased slightly it appears) ?

There's only one active member in my division and he beat me 7-0 last week. I have a couple players I may be able to sell, but all in all my team has like three "solid" skills and two of those are set pieces (lol).

I'd enjoy hearing how you go through the process, numbers. What do you plan to train?

Playmaking...I trained it with my last team and I like having the midfield advantage. I also know how it works really well and which skills compliment it well as long as formation strategies.

I think formations may have changed a bit though? Just from looking at the match screen. It used to be that you couldn't play more obscure ones and I can't tell if that's the case now or not since there are more formations listed than there used to be.

Back