• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Have you ever fired a gun?

pew pew pew

• Total voters
.... are they still your friends?
Some of them are. I don't agree with some of their life decisions, but while the tide of friendship goes in and out, there's still an ocean.

More than one dude left an East Coast state to go to Idaho. They've got several hundred acres bought up and a bunch of 80%ers they've tooled up to full autos. That's too much for me. I can't handle that level of silly.

Need to add options to the poll:

• never
  • skeet shooting at camp or something < 10 times
  • yes I’ve hunted a bunch whatever
  • yes i own an UZI and keep it loaded under my pillow at night (I.e. I’m a weird gun nut)

Last edited:
I'm curious for the posters who voted yes: how many of you have only fired a gun for entertainment purposes (shooting range, hunting for sport, etc)? How many have fired a gun to hunt for food purposes? Has anyone fired a gun for self-defense purposes?

I'm curious for the posters who voted yes: how many of you have only fired a gun for entertainment purposes (shooting range, hunting for sport, etc)? How many have fired a gun to hunt for food purposes? Has anyone fired a gun for self-defense purposes?
Food purposes like eat to survive???

If you are hunting and not eating what you kill (or at least donating to the hungry), that's super effed up.

Like I’ve done the skeet thing < 5 times. I would never own a gun in a million years, but yes I’ve fired one

Food purposes like eat to survive???

If you are hunting and not eating what you kill (or at least donating to the hungry), that's super effed up.
I didn't mean to survive, but more so that hunting to eat was a significant part of your diet/routine.

I didn't mean that the people that have killed 1 deer and ate it should fall into that category.

In 8th grade we had a mandatory gun safety course in school.

I've been shooting 2-3 times, all handguns. It's fine. If I never went again I wouldn't miss it.

(I would miss beating my husband in target shooting. That was fun.)

In 8th grade we had a mandatory gun safety course in school.

I've been shooting 2-3 times, all handguns. It's fine. If I never went again I wouldn't miss it.

(I would miss beating my husband in target shooting. That was fun.)

Wow, I'm the lone No.

Grew up in Mass, didn't go to camps that involved guns, my parents weren't/aren't into guns, I have no interest in ever being around guns. I'm good.

I’d go to a shooting range I guess purely so I’d not freak out if I’m ever in a fight with a robber and wrestle the gun away… not something I’d seek out and I’m not sure I’ve ever even had the opportunity.

I should have taken into account this is a board full of males when I answered.

I grew up in the country and hunt. I've got a small arsenal that would fend off the Russians for a little while. Each gun has a specific function, but one of my favorites is a cap action .50 black powder rifle. That thing is just so fun to shoot. My father in law also had a WWI Commemorative 1911 that was willed to the Mrs. I hate he ever fired that one, because it's absolutely beautiful.

My dad has always been into hunting, so I grew up with some of that. I didn't take to it like my brother did, but I still did it. I probably didn't take to it because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, even with a shotgun. It doesn't help being right handed and left eye dominant.. Had the hunter safety course as a kid and did some dove hunting with a big group that I remember. First gun I ever shot was a little .410 shotgun. I was just talking to my dad about that, actually. It was either his stepdad's or his stepdad's dad's gun as a kid and is still in the family (I was asking him where it was-- whether he still had it or my brother did). Dad did a lot of bird and deer hunting growing up, especially birds. So that was how I grew up, but my brother was the one who really took to hunting, fishing, etc, and he's still a big redneck in that regard. If the world ever goes completely to shit, I'm moving next door to him.

As an adult, I was sort of into handguns for a while and think I owned 4-5 at one point in time until I got it down to one. I have a Sig Sauer P229 .40 cal, but I haven't been to the gun range in years. I just keep it locked up.

Back