• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Have you ever fired a gun?

pew pew pew

• Total voters
I’d be curious how many people keep a loaded gun in their house.

One time Mrs and I were leaving town and we had our youngest’s church preschool teacher watch them. Week we’re supposed to leave it turns out she keeps a loaded handgun in her bedroom every night (!!) and was very upset that we had a problem with that. We eventually landed on her keeping it in her car.

I would like to go hunting because I enjoy game meat and I also believe that if you are a meat eater you have to be willing to do the dirty work yourself (if able). Not saying everybody should. Just saying I don’t understand people absolutely against hunting but will eat Big Ag meat.

I’d be curious how many people keep a loaded gun in their house.

One time Mrs and I were leaving town and we had our youngest’s church preschool teacher watch them. Week we’re supposed to leave it turns out she keeps a loaded handgun in her bedroom every night (!!) and was very upset that we had a problem with that. We eventually landed on her keeping it in her car.

I mean, the handgun is in a safe next to the loaded magazine so it’s about 3 seconds from being loaded. But only my wife and I know the combination.

I would like to go hunting because I enjoy game meat and I also believe that if you are a meat eater you have to be willing to do the dirty work yourself (if able). Not saying everybody should. Just saying I don’t understand people absolutely against hunting but will eat Big Ag meat.
I think a lot of people agree that most american game hunting is far more humane than factory farm meat production. Quotas and seasons for Deer and Turkey at least are based on population management by acreage.

I have hunted my entire life, have a great bird dog, and own several firearms, including some very nice shotguns that are probably embarrassed to seen with me. I mostly hunt quail, woodcock and deer. However, I don’t hunt as much as I used to growing up.

Grew up firing all caliber of long guns and handguns and shotguns.

Took a BB through the left hand in 4th grade - three stitches. My brother later took a piece of shrapnel between the ulna and radius from firing a Winchester 30-30 into a burned up motorcycle.

We were kinda red I guess

The only “gun” I own is a German military rifle from WW1 which I am 90% sure is operational and has been cleaned and oiled within the past 20 years but I have no care to get it the remaining 10% of the way or find the correct rounds to try firing it.

Also how the hell did it end up in my family? Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I can no longer ask my grandfather who let me have it after I found it in a random closet or my WW1 vet great grandfather who I’m sure was involved in that process…

The only “gun” I own is a German military rifle from WW1 which I am 90% sure is operational and has been cleaned and oiled within the past 20 years but I have no care to get it the remaining 10% of the way or find the correct rounds to try firing it.

Also how the hell did it end up in my family? Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I can no longer ask my grandfather who let me have it after I found it in a random closet or my WW1 vet great grandfather who I’m sure was involved in that process…

Could just have been a souvenir.

One of my childhood friends’ grandfather had a nazi flag and a Luger in his garage.

Although as I’m thinking about it his family was Italian but I don’t know if they came over pre or post war.

Yeah I mean it’s WWI so not like weird Nazi stuff but it’d be a little icky if it was like I grabbed it after he dropped it when I bayoneted him, see that black spot there is blood

M16 when I was in the military. I had to carry it a few times on duty and I wasn’t crazy about it (I was a firefighter). I don’t hunt and wouldn’t be able to shoot anything if I did. Most of my friends have guns, I don’t.

Grew up with all sorts of guns in the house. My dad was a hunter and outdoorsman, among other things. I was taught gun safety before I was allowed to even hold one, and it was even longer before I was allowed to fire. Felt like a rite of passage for my family that only gathered once a year — the opening weekend of dove season in NC.

I never really enjoyed hunting because I didn’t like killing animals. One of the few doves i shot was not dead when I went to collect it (not exactly uncommon) and I misunderstood how to wring its neck and ended up causing it quite a bit more discomfort before someone was able to show me what I did wrong and put it out of its misery. I stopped going when I was old enough to verbalize that I didn’t like it, without much pushback.

I do not currently own any guns and honestly think the world would be better without them. But I think there is a place for hunting with weapons. Most of what I see people show off are not hunting weapons

Last edited:
grew up in the midwest and guns were not at all a thing that anyone in my family did/had. shot some stuff once with my now brother-in-law and came away thinking that everything i grew up being taught about guns was pretty much spot on.

enjoyed target shooting with .22s (and was pretty good at it) but that was about it

I don't own guns and have no interest in doing so. Aside from the obvious dangers with kids in the house, those things are damned expensive.

My dad owns a ton of guns of all sorts. He just bought an AR-15 earlier this year "just in case they make them illegal." He got me a .22 rifle for Christmas when I was 7 or 8, but I let him keep it when I moved out. I've been out shooting with him a few times over the years (and he used to take me with him to sit in the cold when he would go skeet shooting), and I actually really enjoy the target shooting aspect of it. But I can get that from playing video games for much cheaper.

Also (East Tennessee), we used to have bb gun wars growing up - shooting each other out in the woods. It was supposed to be single pump only, but one time my friend forgot to hit the switch to go from the CO2 cartridge to pump and lodged a bb in the back of my knee. We also would have roman candle wars and shoot fireballs at each other.

Gun safety may or may not have been super high up on the priories of our community.

Back