• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hearthstone Thread FTMFW - 4/7 Ashes of Outland release - New Demon Hunter class!

You can't scroll to show your whole deck once you're finished, so the screenshot will not show the complete decklist unless you grabbed a ton of duplicates.

The Mage arena run I posted earlier was cropped from two screenshots taken before I completed the arena.

Not sure how you guys get so many Arena wins. I've used the icy-veins spreadsheets and everything, but I've never topped 6 wins. Any win rate over 70% seems impossible--there are just too many games where my mulligans don't work out, and I'm playing from behind the whole time.

Not sure how you guys get so many Arena wins. I've used the icy-veins spreadsheets and everything, but I've never topped 6 wins. Any win rate over 70% seems impossible--there are just too many games where my mulligans don't work out, and I'm playing from behind the whole time.

6 wins in itself is impressive - it puts you in the 85th percentile. In my mind, 4 wins is considered a success: 1) You've breached the 50th percentile 2) You are virtually guaranteed your admission money back (when you assume a pack = 100 gold). After that, the next goal should be seven wins/going infinite by earning a minimum of 150 gold in addition to other prizes. Everything after that is playing with house money.

Arena ranking spreadsheets are very useful, but not everything. Their utility is bolstered by a couple assumptions, mainly: Everyone is drafting a random deck of cards. In most cases it makes sense to select the higher value/more efficient card than something that requires a specific synergy, or something that may be 'good' in constructed play. Perfect example is Undertaker - that card can be an amazing early game drop for deathrattle decks, but in arena that card blows. When someone drops an Undertaker in arena it's for one of three reasons, either they suck at arena (likely), they had a very unfortunate draft choice to make (possible), or they actually constructed a nice rush/deathrattle deck (super rare).

Secondly, and more importantly: Board control is essential. If you can't control the board, you can't win in the arena. In most cases, arena decks lack synergy - they are just a collection of cards, so you need minions that can trade twice (Yetis), will leave something behind after they're hit with a spell (Harvest Golem, Piloted Mechs), are hard to remove (Spiteful Smith, Water Elemental) or have text that hopefully works with some of the cards you drafted already. And you need AOE spells and hard removal to help clear your opponent's board.

Other random thoughts: loading up on efficient 2 and 3 mana cost minions is never a bad idea, that will help with mulligan issues and give you board control early. Going to the face IS the right move sometimes. Freezing is highly underrated in arena & silencing is overrated. Personally, I never take a card that requires a specific synergy unless I already have several of those cards (AKA you don't want to be in a situation where you're praying for a bunch of mechs, murlocs, etc. to pop up) or it's the lesser of three evils. Draft the best card available in the first ten rounds, for the next ten continue to do so but place added weight on potential synergies (when I saw my Pally deck was heavy on Divine Shield, I kept running with that theme), and for the final ten fill in your mana curve or weaknesses in your deck.

Sorry to ramble. Sometimes you will get a shit draw, and sometimes you'll get a great draw. Sometimes you'll play an idiot, and sometimes you'll get the Mage with 4 flamestrikes and 4 fireballs. Just enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
To continue the #humblebrag for HTTD and I, I was just reading how the matching system works in arena, and you get matched up with decks with the closest record to you. So if you are 8-1, you will likely get matched up with other 8-1 decks. Thought maybe it was random.

And for the record, I think I lucked into a sweet draft, and will fall right back to 2-4 wins.

I saw an interesting system proposed by reddit. At the beginning of an arena match, you greet your opponent and then highlight over your hero portrait for every win you have & then highlight over your hero power for every loss. I've seen a few people do it to help track arena matchups.

Bored as shit in a company meeting about 401k plan. Anybody play Freeze Mage with Alexstraza?

I had a mage draft last night where my first 4 picks were Sea Giant, flamestrike, harvest golem, water elemental. The next pick I had to choose between another flamestrike and piloted shredder. Think I went flamestrike cause it was early. Ended up with 5 flamestrikes (too many?), 2 water elementals, a chillwind yeti, a polymorph, and some other solid cards.

I'm 4-2 right now. I think I have to be careful not to let the early game get away from me, so I need to aggressively mulligan for early minions or 2 mana removal spells.

That's a tough fifth pick. I would have gone flame strike too but that 4/3 with a backup minion is a rough one. Good problem to have though.

I saw an interesting system proposed by reddit. At the beginning of an arena match, you greet your opponent and then highlight over your hero portrait for every win you have & then highlight over your hero power for every loss. I've seen a few people do it to help track arena matchups.

What does highlighting over the hero portraits do for you?

Holy shit:

"Hearthstone's first full-scale card expansion, Goblins vs Gnomes, drove Hearthstone to a massive month in terms of Twitch viewership, as viewers watched a massive 1.8 billion minutes of Hearthstone streams.

That works out to more than 30 million hours, over 1 million days and 3,494 years of time spent watching other people play our favourite online collectible card game."

I'm convinced the Arena is bullshit. Had a mage topdeck a Flamestrike to effectively beat me late in the game once. Next player played an Onyxia at the first opportunity. Next guy played like 4-5 epics. I had 1 epic. This shit is rigged.

I was reading forums talking about Unstable Portal being weighted toward Legendaries and everyone said that was bullshit, but I played it 6 games last night and received 3 legendaries (Ysera, The Beast, and Illidian Stormrage)...it's pretty crazy.

I haven't noticed it being weighted toward legendaries--and it's kind absurd to think it would be. For every Sylvana I pull, I get several murloc tidehunters.

My bud once drafted two Yseras in the arena. His deck sucked overall, though, and he had a mediocre run.

I haven't noticed it being weighted toward legendaries--and it's kind absurd to think it would be. For every Sylvana I pull, I get several murloc tidehunters.

Yea, I do occasionally get awful cards, but I do get way more Legendaries than I'd expect if the odds are the same for all cards in the game.

Back