• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Highest median household income ever ($59,039) in 2016

When you have a WIC card, you take eligible food up to the register, the cashier scans it, you swipe your card, take the food and eat it. Yes, I can confirm it works. My mom bought me groceries with her WIC card when I was running low on Pit swipes as recently as 2009.

When you have a WIC card, you take eligible food up to the register, the cashier scans it, you swipe your card, take the food and eat it. Yes, I can confirm it works. My mom bought me groceries with her WIC card when I was running low on Pit swipes as recently as 2009.

There is no doubt that we as a society can help people in the short term. What do we do for them in the long-term? New month = new card...forever (even when we know there is a better way, empirically)?

I guess people like jhmd imagine poverty and hunger as some vainglorious motivating struggle? It's not - you're just fucking hungry, angry, sad, bored and tired.

There is no doubt that we as a society can help people in the short term. What do we do for them in the long-term? New month = new card...forever (even when we know there is a better way, empirically)?

I think that we as a society can come up with something better than "you'd better do it or we'll take away your kids' food."

I guess people like jhmd imagine poverty and hunger as some vainglorious motivating struggle? It's not - you're just fucking hungry, angry, sad, bored and tired.

We've been trying one approach for 50 years, and it isn't working. When do we try new ideas?

Why not??? Just raise taxes and let someone else foot the bill.

Somebody go drive through their closest ghetto with the blues brothers megaphone car, informing the citizens that there is "a better way". I'll be right back, i'm gonna go print up some pamphlets to give out in front of the grocery store.

Somebody go drive through their closest ghetto with the blues brothers megaphone car, informing the citizens that there is "a better way". I'll be right back, i'm gonna go print up some pamphlets to give out in front of the grocery store.

The Board Left seems quite content to practice the better way in their own households and preach the other way to others. I don't need a megaphone, I need eyes. Watch what the left does, not what the left says.

I think that we as a society can come up with something better than "you'd better do it or we'll take away your kids' food."

There is no doubt we can create a way of life for people on these benefits. We have. The question is whether we should.

Not really, it's quite predictable. I ask you for proof that these programs you support with such fervor work, and in response I get keyboard-aggression. This is the sound pride makes in full-throated denial.

Did you even read the article you posted? It attributed the lag to racial discrimination. You have argued that racial discrimination ended in the 60s, so that leaves you with only a belief that blacks are not trying hard enough. It's all here in writing. Your ham-handed attempts to indict entitlement programs somehow in this make zero sense. Wtf are you talking about?

Did you even read the article you posted? It attributed the lag to racial discrimination. You have argued that racial discrimination ended in the 60s, so that leaves you with only a belief that blacks are not trying hard enough. It's all here in writing. Your ham-handed attempts to indict entitlement programs somehow in this make zero sense. Wtf are you talking about?

I for one am shocked that a left-leaning publication would attribute an economic consequence to racism, rather than failure of policies it supports. Good thing I was sitting down.

The Board Left seems quite content to practice the better way in their own households and preach the other way to others. I don't need a megaphone, I need eyes. Watch what the left does, not what the left says.
Dude, we get it. You think that government assistance is especially demotivational, on a macro statistical level, to black people re: graduation, marriage, sex, and work.

Yours is not even an outrageous theory on its head. What's offensive (to me, a white person) is that you completely dismiss the historical culture and political contexts of black poverty, and all of the real economic barriers that black people face.

You have this consistently aggressive naivete that because black people arent statistically equally successful they must not be equally as hard working or equally as wise decision making, when in reality, their hard work and life decisions occur under unique cultural circumstances, and are measured differently.

There are people who disagree with this?

Seems crazy that people can believe Confederate heritage impacts today's white Southerns but they don't believe slavery heritage impacts today's black people.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the fact that there were millions of white Confederate sharecroppers 150 years ago as an excuse for why there are millions of white people on welfare now.

Also, it was discussing incomes. Incomes implies working for a paycheck. I didn't read anywhere that the data included food stamps or welfare, but maybe I missed that.

ITT: We all state the opinions that we know we have again and argue with those who don't share our opinions.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the fact that there were millions of white Confederate sharecroppers 150 years ago as an excuse for why there are millions of white people on welfare now.
There is a very logical reason why poor white southerners don't get shit on and disparaged often enough for their historical circumstances to be considered.

Dude, we get it. You think that government assistance is especially demotivational, on a macro statistical level, to black people re: graduation, marriage, sex, and work.

Yours is not even an outrageous theory on its head. What's offensive (to me, a white person) is that you completely dismiss the historical culture and political contexts of black poverty, and all of the real economic barriers that black people face.

You have this consistently aggressive naivete that because black people arent statistically equally successful they must not be equally as hard working or equally as wise decision making, when in reality, their hard work and life decisions occur under unique cultural circumstances, and are measured differently.

I think government assistance is demotivational to all people. I don't think black people are any different from white people, or red people, or purple people. This is true of all people. Given that this phenomenon impacts one community at a higher rate proportionally, it is not surprising that a common impact is easiest to observe in communities where it has the highest percentage impact. That's how math works.

Paragraphs 2 and 3 of your post are garbage, but apparently needful garbage born of insecurity.

Sure, whatever. Black people havent recovered from the recession because they are on welfare. Got it.

I for one am shocked that a left-leaning publication would attribute an economic consequence to racism, rather than failure of policies it supports. Good thing I was sitting down.

oh ok.

She cited:

National Bureau of Economic Research study.
Economic Mobility Pathways study
Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University study

So all the researchers she cited are in on the con, too? Even if they are left-leaning, none of them are motivated to understand the real reasons for this, they are all there to protect entitlement programs and keep blacks in perpetual poverty to ensure the voting bloc and guarantee the money and wash, rinse, repeat?

You really believe this bullshit?

Last edited:
There is a very logical reason why poor white southerners don't get shit on and disparaged often enough for their historical circumstances to be considered.

Why? If the objective was to give them an excuse for their current condition to make them seem better than their situation, the "but look where their ancestors were 150 years ago" would be a solid excuse that I would think we would hear more of. But I've never heard it once.

Back