• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Highest median household income ever ($59,039) in 2016

1946: Luce-Cellar
1947: War Brides Act (modified to stop excluding Asians)
1952: McCarran-Walter
1965: EEOC (executive order 11246); sorry, not legislative branch!
1965: Voting Rights Act (Section 2)
1965: Immigration Act of 1965
1975: Home Mortgage Disclosure Act

Ending the ban on interracial marriage (Loving v Virginia wasn't legislative either) was p helpful too. Lots of good ways government has helped Asian Americans.

Helps that America selectively recruited Asians after excluding them for centuries. And since the mode minority myth relies so heavily on the concept of actual racial superiority, it's worthwhile to note that the comparison you're trying to draw selectively ignores how African Americans were brought to America and how they've been treated and legislated against since.

Do you think we should allow Home Mortgage Disclosures for African-Americans too? I had no idea that the EEOC, VRA, etc. only applied to Asians. What were we thinking?

The "disagreement" is much deeper than that. Help me understand who exactly the omnipresent, incessant privilege/oppression narrative empowers or encourages? What's the utility of the persistent condemnation of our system (which is serving Asian-Americans better than anyone)?

I think the "omnipresent, incessant privilege/oppression narrative" is a descriptor just like "two-parent household." You can enact policies to encourage or discourage these descriptive factors and, similarly, these narratives can help form policies but in and of themselves I don't believe any of these are policies.

Those who talk about the "omnipresent, incessant privilege/oppression narrative" are likely doing it to show acknowledgement that this is a factor (big or small) at play, just like you and the "two-parent household" are likely doing it to acknowledge that this is a factor.

Most people on here who talk about privilege being an issue typically point to discrete changes that can be made or policies reinforcing the oppression narrative. Most of the time when you talk about two-parent households it's in the context of other people discussing policy issues at a macro-level while you are going on about it being basic personal responsibility.

TLDR: Your post here continues to miss the mark as far as policy goes.

I think the "omnipresent, incessant privilege/oppression narrative" is a descriptor just like "two-parent household." You can enact policies to encourage or discourage these descriptive factors and, similarly, these narratives can help form policies but in and of themselves I don't believe any of these are policies.

Those who talk about the "omnipresent, incessant privilege/oppression narrative" are likely doing it to show acknowledgement that this is a factor (big or small) at play, just like you and the "two-parent household" are likely doing it to acknowledge that this is a factor.

Most people on here who talk about privilege being an issue typically point to discrete changes that can be made or policies reinforcing the oppression narrative. Most of the time when you talk about two-parent households it's in the context of other people discussing policy issues at a macro-level while you are going on about it being basic personal responsibility.

TLDR: Your post here continues to miss the mark as far as policy goes.

Then show me the policy. Yours isn't working. The problem has exploded since we started the Welfare State. (We should allow for the possibility that there is no policy, and that raising your family is a nondelegable duty, shouldn't we?)

The point isn't that everything has to be a policy, it's that everyone posting here agrees that a two-parent household is a good idea and is a positive support system for raising kids. When people are having an in-depth discussion about whether a law or potential law is going to have a positive impact on a specific issue and you say "heaven forbid people just get married before they have kids" it just has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

If your solution is "raising your family is a nondelegable duty" then why are you spending time posting about things on a political message board?

i wonder what the real spending power is, like the consumer product index or something. also i assume that 60gs is a two earner household.

"since we started the welfare state" yeah, no other extenuating circumstances or variable contribution since then besides a flat welfare check for every black person.

today's jhmd is like one of your favorite guitar players running out of ideas and basically playing the same solo on every song. sad, really.

I didn't play the white privilege card in any of my posts, and jhmd responded to basically none of them.

I didn't play the white privilege card in any of my posts, and jhmd responded to basically none of them.

Your overpowering intellectual response scared me off. Wait, maybe it was your body odor. Both are overwhelming.

don't be scared. go ahead and embarrass me by trouncing me with your brilliant and insightful knowledge. really, just waste me I get off on it.

don't be scared. go ahead and embarrass me by trouncing me with your brilliant and insightful knowledge. really, just waste me I get off on it.

I can't argue with your points. It's obvious that ignoring parental responsibilities is the key to upward mobility. Asians are just an anomaly hurdling the space, inexplicable to man and beast alike. We'll just never know how they've managed to succeed without a massive, race-based intervention on their behalf.

Remember when jhmd got wrecked the last ten times we talked about "the welfare state" but he keeps coming back to it

I don't, actually. If you choose to be proud of the damage done by those policies because you're too proud to admit they've caused lasting damage, that's a moral issue for you to wrestle with.

Moving into year seven now. I'm hoping to finally pass Legal Research and Writing this time around.

I'm fairly certain that Asian Americans are eligible for "welfare" the same as black people, yet the disparity of outcomes exist.

Maybe jhmd thinks that AA are more genetically disposed to divorce and poverty?

I can't argue with your points. It's obvious that ignoring parental responsibilities is the key to upward mobility. Asians are just an anomaly hurdling the space, inexplicable to man and beast alike. We'll just never know how they've managed to succeed without a massive, race-based intervention on their behalf.

youre a funny guy and obviously smart but man this is so weak. The article is about working people's incomes. Middle America. These are the salt of the earth families in Wisonsin, Penn, and Mich who elected Trump - a point you love when it fits the election narrative.

They've cried out, and their perception was that your party heard them. Your answer to them is simply "work harder, government isn't the answer to your problems, you must not be living your life right. " But they can check off all your points --- two-parent household, two jobs, kids in school, own my home, etc. They still aren't seeing wages go up in twenty years more than 5 measly grand, and they don't have the extra income for tutoring and math camp for their kids to get ahead.

you wimp out on this issue every time you run up the middle with that two-parent shit. We all agree with you, but there is more to it, and I htry every time to cite sources and numbers to that effect and you just ignore it. wtf dude?

I thought we were going with cultural differences as opposed to genetic differences. Was that just for Asians?
Hey, it's whatever facet of life that you want to blame inorder to avoid addressing the hundreds of years of slavery, disenfranchisement, and economic sabotage. Dealers choice. Maybe its that damn hippity hop music.

Back