• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hunter Sallis

I wonder how many super highly rated recruits go to blue-blood programs and do exactly this:

"His job was to defend and not mess up. If he did, Gonzaga coach Mark Few had way too many great guards to let Sallis work through his mistakes. Sallis, intentionally, didn’t shoot. He just guarded."

When they could come to a program like Wake and thrive.
duke keeps at least one 5* PF/C on the roster in this purgatory at all times, usually two.

Great article and insight into how Coach Forbes approached his recruitment of Sallis and how Hunter has turned his fortunes around.

Thanks to him mom for sharing him with us. What an amazing young man! We love you Ms. Livingston!!:love:

We need a banner with ManMan, LaRavia, Ty, Carr, and Hunter in the rafters as they are the cornerstones of Wake's basketball resurgence.

And a huge F.U. to Wellman for putting our flagship athletic program 6 feet under. POS.
That article shows why Forbes is the perfect fit for Wake Forest. How fortunate are we that no other high major program made a coaching change during Covid.

duke keeps at least one 5* PF/C on the roster in this purgatory at all times, usually two.
Kind of different, as those dudes basically aren’t even getting playing time.

Sallis was getting playing time, but due to his fear of getting benched he was intentionally keeping his usage rate way below what he was capable of

think he would do himself a favor with another full season kicking ass but there is the money thing.

think he would do himself a favor with another full season kicking ass but there is the money thing.
If he goes into the NBA draft, some team will grab him. Either one of the good teams drafting late first round or one if the bad teams early second round.

Sallis was named to the McD AA game with Paolo Banchero, Jabari Smith, Jr., and Chet Holmgren. He was in the same recruiting class with Chet and Julian Strawther. He probably sees those guys as his peers. He's already well behind them. There's an argument for him to stay but that argument never seems to work for anybody not at UNC.

There's an argument for him to stay but that argument never seems to work for anybody not at UNC.
Genuinely, what's the argument besides a truckload of NIL money?

Seems like most of the guys UNC and other schools get to stay are in the sweet spot of being dominant college players that have little to no NBA future, such as Bacot and Davis

It's not a great argument. Get a truckload of NIL. Tighten up his game to get a better shot at getting drafted in the lottery. Work on his PG skills which would help his draft prospects. The hope would be an extra year would keep him out of the 2nd round, maybe out of the G-League, and give him a better shot at being a difference-maker before negotiating his first extension.

Tighten up his game to get a better shot at getting drafted in the lottery.
I'm looking through the list of college upperclassmen that were drafted in the lottery in the past few drafts, and as you'd expect the list is sparse:

2023: None
2022: Jalen Williams: 12th pick/junior. Ochai Agbaji: 14th pick/senior
2021: Davion Mitchell: 9th/junior. Chris Duarte: 13th/ senior
2020: None
2019: Rui Hachimura: 9th/junior. Cam Johnson: 11th/senior

From what I can tell, all of these upperclassmen put up significantly better numbers in the year they were drafted than in the year before, which is unlikely for Sallis. And regardless, seems like there's a ceiling just by being an upperclassmen that Sallis is unlikely to break through whether he waits or not, as none of these dudes were top 8 picks.

Not saying you are actively making the argument Ph, but wanted to emphasize that it's a bad one

Yeah, I think its hard to envision a scenario where Sallis comes back if he is expected to get drafted in the late 1st or early-to-mid 2nd round, which most mock drafts seem to show.

I think he will be back. My thought is he had 2 years of college that was no fun at all and if we can get to the tournament he will want to run it back

Back