• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hypothetical Seed Discussion (#8/#9 vs. #10 seed) (NWT)

There were years when we had multiple top 10 teams to rely on. We traditionally played a tough OOC and a strong ACC. We couldn’t do that because we weren’t going to be good enough and needed to build confidence, but I can remember being mad the year we won the NIT that teams with better W-L records got in over us and we beat teams like #3 Kansas. I’d like to get back to the point where we rely on a tough schedule again.

I'm in this camp. Lets just try and make the schedule hard as possible going forward. Try our best to get like 17-18 wins and that should be enough. Hell, look at Xavier. Finished 18-13, 8-11 in conference and has lost 8 of 10, but apparently still have a good shot at getting in.

I'm probably misremembering but didn't Vandy have a year where they finished around 17-15 or something and got an 8-9 seed in the big dance due to having a strongly rated schedule?

There were years when we had multiple top 10 teams to rely on. We traditionally played a tough OOC and a strong ACC. We couldn’t do that because we weren’t going to be good enough and needed to build confidence, but I can remember being mad the year we won the NIT that teams with better W-L records got in over us and we beat teams like #3 Kansas. I’d like to get back to the point where we rely on a tough schedule again.

Yeah I don't fault Forbes for the schedule. Our guys needed time to gel and some wins to build confidence. Some of our opponents ended up not being that good but that's the way it goes. Yes our OOC schedule ranking is terrible. I expect we'll play tougher OOC schedules in the future if Forbes can continue to get talented players here.

I am sure if we don't get in Sunday some will say the committee "screwed us over" blah blah blah disrespect towards ACC but the reality is take care of business against BC and we aren't having to sweat near as much. So damn frustrating.

It's easier to schedule that way when you have most of your key players in your building before you schedule. Remember, Forbes recruited the transfers via Zoom, not by seeing them in person. And he had a lot of pleasant surprises. Manman from 6 pts/ game reserve to ACC player of the year? Not predictable. Walton's "75 year old knees" handling heavy minutes and not breaking down. Jake doing a lot of everything really well. Mucius embracing the 3 and D role. Sy's defense and 3's. Lots of things worked much better than expected.

Has any close game gone wfu’s way in last 2 days?

We lose in OT, Va Tech and UVA squeak by, Indiana wins, Wyoming wins, etc. I think it would have been better for BC to beat Miami although that one is debatable.

At least Va Tech is killing Notre Dame and we can quit watching that one. Just a terrible 2-day stretch of outcomes.

Michigan did, but most dumbasses still have them in with their 17-14 record. Ridiculous.

It's easier to schedule that way when you have most of your key players in your building before you schedule. Remember, Forbes recruited the transfers via Zoom, not by seeing them in person. And he had a lot of pleasant surprises. Manman from 6 pts/ game reserve to ACC player of the year? Not predictable. Walton's "75 year old knees" handling heavy minutes and not breaking down. Jake doing a lot of everything really well. Mucius embracing the 3 and D role. Sy's defense and 3's. Lots of things worked much better than expected.

Yeah. I totally agree. No fault to Forbes here at all. I just feel that teams should be rewarded for strong schedules and I think in the past I’ve been upset when we haven’t been.

I'm in this camp. Lets just try and make the schedule hard as possible going forward. Try our best to get like 17-18 wins and that should be enough. Hell, look at Xavier. Finished 18-13, 8-11 in conference and has lost 8 of 10, but apparently still have a good shot at getting in.

I'm probably misremembering but didn't Vandy have a year where they finished around 17-15 or something and got an 8-9 seed in the big dance due to having a strongly rated schedule?

2017. 19-15. had the #32 non-con plus the SEC, for #13 schedule overall

7 opponents in top 100, including some luck (MTSU #43, Dayton #39, Bucknell #76, Belmont #83)

Absent a lot of other games falling our way in the next few days, were not getting in. The committee can say all they want that the name on the jersey, conference affiliation and past results/tradition don't matter in who gets in, but everyone who follows college basketball knows that the BC game was a referendum for our program on our worthiness of an NCAA bid. When you're in that room, you can't ignore the fact that once again we failed to step up when it was set up on a tee for us.

id be pretty surprised if we get in, but i mean every projection right now has us in. If UNC wins the Tourney that gives us another Quad one win, and I think that should do it.

Lunardi has us playing Wyoming in Dayton.

I like our chances against Wyoming, and maybe Indiana. Not so much Xavier, but that's based more on history/recent history, not this year's teams.

Fanduel odds to make the tourney:

Dayton to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes +205
No -290

Indiana to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes -114
No -114

Michigan to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes -550
No +350

SMU to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes -140
No +106

VCU to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes +205
No -290

Wake Forest to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes -136
No +102

Xavier to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes +134
No -180

We had numerous chances to stamp our ticket to the big dance the last month and a half or so. Debacle at Cuse in the second half after looking like the far better team in the first half. Blew a game at home to Miami. Had a very real chance in Cameron. And then that utter shit show at Clemson.

I’m not sure this team has ever been that good. Light years better than the past decade, but there’s some pretty notable holes.

yeah, I think we overachieved this year actually

football too

can't be mad about that

Fanduel odds to make the tourney:

Dayton to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes +205
No -290

Indiana to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes -114
No -114

Michigan to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes -550
No +350

SMU to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes -140
No +106

VCU to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes +205
No -290

Wake Forest to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes -136
No +102

Xavier to Make 2022 NCAA Tournament Field of 68
Yes +134
No -180

What are VT and Notre Dame?

id be pretty surprised if we get in, but i mean every projection right now has us in. If UNC wins the Tourney that gives us another Quad one win, and I think that should do it.

nah - projections are starting to put us out. we are out of 48 of 133 brackets posted to BracketMatrix, and many of the 85 that still have us in haven't updated.

WP (#1 bracket last year) guy put us out the night we lost to BC
Evan Miya put us out (5 teams out and ahead of us) this morning

Back