• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I’ll bet my right to post on this message board that Wake makes the NCAAT in 2019.

Re: Rutgers, what a bizarre stat.

Totally unrelated, but as far as bizarre stats go William and Mary has a top 40 offense and a bottom 30 defense in the country. That's really odd.

Prioritizing KenPom over W-L is some BS

Nobody cares about that made up nerd stat. Its the W-L record that's attached to the program, not some fictitious algorithm.

At a certain point I agree. We aren’t anywhere near that point yet. I’ll put you down as a yes to move to the SoCon where our W/L record would be dramatically better.

Stephen F. Austin is clearly a better team than UNC.

He had a top 40 team in year 3. That’s pretty good.

Rutgers has the 31st best defense in the country but is ranked outside the top 150 overall. I’d rather be us.

but his top 40 team played no defense, particularly at the end of games, and no team that plays like that has a chance to win championships

better than Rutgers? raise a banner!

now look up how often Duke under K and UNC under Williams and Syracuse under Boeheim have had defenses outside the top 100

Manning sucks as a head coach. Wellman has really sucked in his last two basketball hires. period.

Yeah please compare all our hires to three of the top coaches of all time.

I get the point, but come on.

The bottom line is the teams with Manning are considerably better than the teams under He Who Shall Not Be Named, but are also well short of most of the teams under Prosser and Gaudio.

The current results are unacceptable by basically any barometer and there are truly baffling in-game coaching decisions that deserve to be scrutinized.

I think advanced stats do a solid job as a whole showing why any argument that Manning is "just as bad as [Redacted]" is absurd, but also do a good job showing that neither has lived up to expectations or what Wake fans should expect from a head coach.

no we aren't

25cog1.jpg

other coaches manage to skip this losing by 5 step and get straight to winning; my goal is a regular season ACC championship, followed by two tournament championships

I expect a WF team to play defense. we don't. the end.

the best way to guarantee you won't have a successful coach is to keep the turrible one you have indefinitely

Which coaches?

Which team is “closer” to having an above .500 ACC team:

8-10 with 8 wins coming by an average of 2 points over the worst 4 teams in the league and all 10 losses coming by 15 points or more, or

4-14, with 4 blowouts over the two worst teams in the league and 14 losses all within 5 points.

Which coaches?

8-10 with 8 wins coming by an average of 2 points over the worst 4 teams in the league and all 10 losses coming by 15 points or more, or

4-14, with 4 blowouts over the two worst teams in the league and 14 losses all within 5 points.

Neither one.

but his top 40 team played no defense, particularly at the end of games, and no team that plays like that has a chance to win championships

better than Rutgers? raise a banner!

now look up how often Duke under K and UNC under Williams and Syracuse under Boeheim have had defenses outside the top 100

News flash: No team that plays like a team ranked 30-40 has a chance to win a championship. Only one team since KP started in 2002 has won a championship without a top 20 offense AND defense, 2014 Connecticut (Off: 39, Def: 10, Overall: 15). It’s also the only team that has won a championship and ended up outside the top 10 in KP.

Any takers?

Bet is off if Manning isn’t our coach at the beginning of next season.

What’s the other side of the bet?

Your right to post on this message board. Lifetime ban for the losing side.

Trying to figure out how many people are confident in their assessment of Manning vs those who just enjoy incessantly whining.

giving this thread way more credit than it deserves:

I don't believe Manning is the right person for the job and I am extremely confident in my assessment

my expectation for the WF basketball program is more than an occasional trip to the NCAA tournament

therefore merely getting to the tournament next year would not "prove" me wrong in my assessment

rShill is the one claiming the only acceptable goal here is a national championship; those three coaches, in our league, seem like a good starting point since we presently compete against them

Which coaches?

two in Virginia in the ACC right now; and

c. the coach that's 20-9, 9-7 in year 4 in Cassell Coleseum

can't edit my post, but by the way, if you want to compare Manning to Brad Brownell, go right ahead. Is that a low enough target?

So disappointing that as clutch as DM and Chill were as players they are so unclutch as coaches.

Back