• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I see light, and it's not a train

As it stands now, I think CJ is the 3rd most valuable player to the team, behind McKie and DT.

I think you're weighting two games, State and Duke, far too much and ignoring the rest of the season.

The issue is not having a backup big. Devin is plenty big enough to play in the ACC as a center. I wouldn't mind pairing him with another similarly sized player for certain stretches of a game and I definitely wish that someone could pick up a few fouls to help Devin out on the defensive end.

Oh. Well that's a different story. I do wonder if Green would be better than Cav as a backup, but we'll never know. Cav's obviously playing out of position at the 5 and he's trying his best. I thought he put up a damn good fight against Plumlee last night, but he's had some really tough games. I think fighting as hard as he has to inside has seriously affected his in-game shooting as well. He has a nice stroke and tends to make 3's early but not late, which would suggest it's strength/conditioning. I bet he's one of those guys that just knocks 'em down in practice like it's no big deal.

Definitely need help inside for Devin. Maybe Washington will make strides next year.

Anyone comparing Devin to Big E never saw Big E play pre-CP3. And that's meant as a compliment to Big E. There's a reason he was a McDonalds AA, and it wasn't the 'fro.

Seeing Big E (and Gray) play post-CP3 was pretty enlightening too.

i think DT can hold down the center position but would also like a bigger guy in there to help. unfortunately, i just don't see DT being able to consistently hit a mid-range shot (or 3pt shot, for what it's worth) which would make it more difficult to move him out of the post (PF) in a Bzzzdick system.

the light at the end of the tunnel feels closer because the kids are playing better...really couldn't be any worse than the previous 2 seasons. we are also seeing some improvement, like we had hoped over the last few years.

IMO, Bzzzdick is coming back next season, so dig in guys!

I wrote "as it stands now."

I saw that. And my post still stands. I think right now, you are weighting those two games too much. Just like you can't judge our entire season as it stands now by those two games, you can't judge the importance of CJ from those two games either. Thomas was a beast vs State, but only had 8 points with 7 TO's against GT while Harris had one of his standard games.

On what evidence?

Daniel Green did post 7.6 points and 9.0 rebounds per 40 minutes last year. It's not out of the question to think that he could hustle his way to Carson numbers (4.8 ppg, 4.4 rpg). As others have mentioned, that would help a lot when Devin gets into foul trouble. He would definitely be better than Cav and Andre.

Seems like you're all assuming the current coaching staff has the ability to develop the talent of these young players. I just don't see it happening.

Wow, I forgot how weak that bench was...

The 2006 season was Skip's 5th at Wake yet that team was completely dependent on 4 players from his first full recruiting class.

Amazed me that beside the box score JG is top performer with 15 when Big E had 23/12. Go figure!

I thought he put up a damn good fight against Plumlee last night, but he's had some really tough games. I think fighting as hard as he has to inside has seriously affected his in-game shooting as well. He has a nice stroke and tends to make 3's early but not late, which would suggest it's strength/conditioning. I bet he's one of those guys that just knocks 'em down in practice like it's no big deal.

Nice stroke? I'm not going to pull his stats but his shooting has been horrendous. As for making 3's early vs late, I'd take hitting them at any point in the game. As my good friend the dog brothers once said. "you're beggin'"

images

Seems like you're all assuming the current coaching staff has the ability to develop the talent of these young players. I just don't see it happening.

You guys have improved a ton over the start of the season. At least some of that has to be credited to the coaching staff.

Freshmen improve. If your team had bothered to finish the game instead of thinking about UNC, we'd have a 5 game losing streak right now.

Anyone comparing Devin to Big E never saw Big E play pre-CP3. And that's meant as a compliment to Big E. There's a reason he was a McDonalds AA, and it wasn't the 'fro.

Devin has better post moves than Big E did as a freshman. E's only post move was the power dribble. He was also foul prone and couldn't stay on the court.

In Devin's first 8 ACC games he's averaging 9.8 points and 9.8 rebounds per game in 28.8 minutes. He's also averaging 2.9 fouls per game.

In Eric's first 8 ACC games he averaged 7.3 points and 3.9 rebounds in 19.8 minutes. He averaged 3.5 fouls per game.

They are two different types of players but Devin's production and talent are on the same level as Big E.

I agree with Childress. They have different styles, but Devin has proven that he is adequate inside and is a solid rebounder. I think Devin has better touch around the rim than E and the reason I mentioned E was because Devin has the best post moves I remember since E was here. Different types of player, but I don't think it's ridiculous to think Devin could be around the same level as E.

So far devin's "post" moves involve a append step to get by the defender from near the free throw line. He can improve tons as a post player. He played at the free throw almost exclusively in high school

Back