• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I see light, and it's not a train

Nice stroke? I'm not going to pull his stats but his shooting has been horrendous. As for making 3's early vs late, I'd take hitting them at any point in the game. As my good friend the dog brothers once said. "you're beggin'"

Kid shoots over 70% from the line and since the 1/12 debacle game is 3/7 from deep. He's a freshman playing out of position. I fully expect him to be more in the 35% range from deep next year. Good touch and his form is solid. Just needs time and confidence.

So far devin's "post" moves involve a append step to get by the defender from near the free throw line. He can improve tons as a post player. He played at the free throw almost exclusively in high school

He has a deadly drop step from the left block going to his left hand. He needs to develop a counter to it (I believe I saw him attempt a righty hook from that position last night). He has also shown very good instincts around the basket and doesn't hesitate to take it to the rim when he sees an opening. Will agree that he can still improve a ton but he is pretty advanced for a freshman.

Devin has better post moves than Big E did as a freshman. E's only post move was the power dribble. He was also foul prone and couldn't stay on the court.

In Devin's first 8 ACC games he's averaging 9.8 points and 9.8 rebounds per game in 28.8 minutes. He's also averaging 2.9 fouls per game.

In Eric's first 8 ACC games he averaged 7.3 points and 3.9 rebounds in 19.8 minutes. He averaged 3.5 fouls per game.

They are two different types of players but Devin's production and talent are on the same level as Big E.

Any particular reason you selected the first 8 ACC games as your measuring tool? Because at first blush, that seems like a rather bizarre sample.

Really not trying to knock Devin, but Williams was a monster. Even his freshman year, when he was quite raw, him being out there changed the dynamic of our team because he took up so much space. I'm also not convinced stats are a great indicator here, either - both because Devin's playing more minutes a game (not just because of foul trouble, by the way, Big E's conditioning wasn't there yet his freshman year) and because we suck so hard now, someone has to score and board. Williams had J-Ho, Justin Gray, Taron and Vytas (in Vytas' best year) his freshman year to share the ball with. It's safe to say Devin is clearly our third best option this year, and arguably our only one down low.

Devin's had flashes. I'm excited to watch him develop. But Big E changed games even when he wasn't playing well, whereas Devin can and has disappeared.

Last edited:
It could be because Devin has only played 8 ACC games...not sure you thought that statement through Irish.

In defense of Devin, he doesn't have the trap dribble E could never get rid of.

It could be because Devin has only played 8 ACC games...not sure you thought that statement through Irish.

I don't know, call me crazy, but maybe season as a whole stats? Devin's through now, obviously.

I don't know, call me crazy, but maybe season as a whole stats? Devin's through now, obviously.

This is the most accurate snapshot though isn't it? Maybe each person through 20 games since Devin has played that many.

E was also never a great rebounder for his size. He received his rebounds he didn't go and snatch them. He only averaged 6.7 rebounds a game for his career. That isn't terrible, but that is not great. Devin has the instinct, tenacity, and most importantly - QUICKNESS to be a great rebounder. I will be shocked if Devin doesn't end his career with averages that are close to a double double. Part of that is because we have no big man help in sight for him, but a big part is that he is an instinctual rebounder. I wish we could sign a good center to play with him. Next year's class should have been a swing forward and a Center. Instead we got two swing men. I still believe that Cav is going to end up contributing to our team, but he is a stretch 4, and really doesn't help much in the post. Moto is a 3 that is strong enough to sometimes guard the 4. Washington and Daniel Green are both understrengthened (is that a word) for the post. Maybe one of them will surprise me, but in the limited time I have seen both of them play I was not impressed. So basically we have Moto, Cav, and Thomas with one more year of McKie. It is absolutely imperative that we sign 2 big men who are ready to play in the 2014 class. Bz biggest failure (and that is saying alot) is to only recruit one big man that came ready to play in his 2 years.

For what it's worth, E has a house at Salem Glen (which is on the market). I know a couple guys out there that see him running in the summer and the guy is a stud these days. You'd hardly recognize him from what they tell me.

Big E got in substantial foul trouble his freshman year just as Devin is prone to do. It's hard to compare the two at this point since people obviously can take into account a four year developed Big E while we only have 20 games to look at Devin. My only point in bringing Big E up wasn't even to really compare the two other than to say Devin has the best post moves I really remember since Big E. James Johnson could get to the rim if he wanted but mainly did it playing towards the basket off the dribble IIRC, the same off AFA who got a lot of points off rebounds and going back up.

Devin has a dropstep that a lot of guys never develop and he looks pretty fluid while he does it.

Devin isn't as big or as strong as E at this time. But he's a much better defender and passer.

E was also never a great rebounder for his size. He received his rebounds he didn't go and snatch them. He only averaged 6.7 rebounds a game for his career. That isn't terrible, but that is not great. Devin has the instinct, tenacity, and most importantly - QUICKNESS to be a great rebounder. I will be shocked if Devin doesn't end his career with averages that are close to a double double. Part of that is because we have no big man help in sight for him, but a big part is that he is an instinctual rebounder. I wish we could sign a good center to play with him. Next year's class should have been a swing forward and a Center. Instead we got two swing men. I still believe that Cav is going to end up contributing to our team, but he is a stretch 4, and really doesn't help much in the post. Moto is a 3 that is strong enough to sometimes guard the 4. Washington and Daniel Green are both understrengthened (is that a word) for the post. Maybe one of them will surprise me, but in the limited time I have seen both of them play I was not impressed. So basically we have Moto, Cav, and Thomas with one more year of McKie. It is absolutely imperative that we sign 2 big men who are ready to play in the 2014 class. Bz biggest failure (and that is saying alot) is to only recruit one big man that came ready to play in his 2 years.

Never a great rebounder? He averaged 8.9 a game and had 10 double-doubles as a senior. That's pretty great.

Josh Shoemaker had great rebounding instincts, as did Levy. Devin appears to have the same and he is a quick jumper. Big E would have to gather himself before going up, Devin doesn't Daniel impressed last season in terms of tenacity on the boards. Obviously strength was an issue; but I was really looking forward to seeing him with the added weight and strength. If he comes back fully healed, he will definitely make us a better rebounding team.

Josh Shoemaker had great rebounding instincts, as did Levy. Devin appears to have the same and he is a quick jumper. Big E would have to gather himself before going up, Devin doesn't Daniel impressed last season in terms of tenacity on the boards. Obviously strength was an issue; but I was really looking forward to seeing him with the added weight and strength. If he comes back fully healed, he will definitely make us a better rebounding team.

Defensively perhaps. Offensively he would always pull some double pump fake crap instead of just putting it back in the basket.

Back