• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you could change any rule in pro sports

a ball with a chip eliminates one of the things they have to see
Exactly. Officials can concentrate on forward progress stopped/ runner down issue. Time mark that with whistle. Chip location software then says where ball was at that moment.

sure but why spend it

people getting livid about calls is cheaper and better #engagement

This is a good point. Controversial calls are good for content.

Exactly. Officials can concentrate on forward progress stopped/ runner down issue. Time mark that with whistle. Chip location software then says where ball was at that moment.
The reaction time of blowing the whistle in real time could mean inches and feet. Even if you had an official sitting with bated breath and whistle in mouth the ball could move backwards by feet before you recognize forward motion has stopped and blow the whistle. I mean you are moving forward until you aren't. And what a shit show with an official waiting to blow the whistle instantly without even thinking about it. There would be an inadvertent whistle every other play. And that's just forward progress, which is really not even a problem.

I can't believe this is even a discussion.

You could visually review every single play and use some sort of NASA lasers to help the ref spot the ball. Then the center grabs the ball and moves it in his hand outside the margin of error of all the fancy equipment and then we run another play. At some point.

The reaction time of blowing the whistle in real time could mean inches and feet. Even if you had an official sitting with bated breath and whistle in mouth the ball could move backwards by feet before you recognize forward motion has stopped and blow the whistle. I mean you are moving forward until you aren't. And what a shit show with an official waiting to blow the whistle instantly without even thinking about it. There would be an inadvertent whistle every other play. And that's just forward progress, which is really not even a problem.

You could visually review every single play and use some sort of NASA lasers to help the ref spot the ball. Then the center grabs the ball and moves it in his hand outside the margin of error of all the fancy equipment and then we run another play. At some point.

Put the whistle inside of the ball.

I think it could be fun if on random occasion, officials were permitted to alter the outcome of the game upon personal, unspoken whim by making calls half the fans find highly objectionable.

By definition, any call half the fans find highly objectionable is a call all the fans find highly objectionable.

giphy.gif

Ah. If you say so. The attempt at a joke was so arcane that my followup can hopefully be forgiven.

No more overtime/extra innings in the regular season - every league goes to the 3pt for a win, 1pt a tie standings.

May have already been mentioned: read an article in S.I. about the VanGundy brothers, and Jeff said he'd like to see the NBA corner 3 eliminated: gives the same points for a shorter distance, and encourages guys to hang in the corners vs. developing a interior/midrange game.

And with this change I assume Ray Allen's three would become retroactively voided?

And with this change I assume Ray Allen's three would become retroactively voided?

So would Sean Elliott’s too.

It’s a good idea. I remember reading something several years ago breaking down shot distributions talking about the potential impact of getting rid of the corner 3. At the very least it gets rid of the go stand in the corner fastbreak.

I don’t like NBA teams advancing to half-court after a timeout. I do think that men’s NCAA bball should play quarters.

Just a little ref explanation on whistle use bball vs football. While bball in both college & NBA all use “Precision Timing” (developed by an official in NC in 1993). Used in college for the first time around 96-97, you know it as the officials all use the Fox whistles with microphones (air packs) that stop the clock precisely and use the packs on their belt to start the clock. Thus saving about .5 second of “lag time” from a clock operator seeing signals & doing it.
Most football officials don’t wear whistles in their mouth for safety reasons—getting hit in the mouth and breaking teeth. So they either have whistle around the neck or a finger whistle and use their ‘stop the clock’ or wind to start the clock. Plus as TF said above, a lot of inadvertent whistles have been prevented by NOT having the whistle in the mouth in football. Late whistle is much better than an early whistle in football. Can always bring it back but if that whistle blows by mistake, you are in the shitter.

I would have a designated free throw shooter in basketball. The optics of having a guy who is completely unathletic and out of shape but is a good FT shooter come on to shoot FTs at like a 90% clip would be hilarious. And it would also possibly reduce the amount of fouls.

This idea may be a joke or it could be serious. I honestly can't decide right now.

I would have a designated free throw shooter in basketball. The optics of having a guy who is completely unathletic and out of shape but is a good FT shooter come on to shoot FTs at like a 90% clip would be hilarious. And it would also possibly reduce the amount of fouls.

This idea may be a joke or it could be serious. I honestly can't decide right now.

Thoughts on how to deal with missed free throws in this setup? Made free throw, no problem because it is dead ball. Live ball rebound and team with designated shooter in does????

Back