• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you could change any rule in pro sports

It tells you the exact location of the football on the field. If I gave you a piece of paper with a football field drawn on it, and then showed you the exact location of both points of the football on that field, you couldn’t draw a football and tell me where the furthest point was?

It tells you the exact location of the football on the field. If I gave you a piece of paper with a football field drawn on it, and then showed you the exact location of both points of the football on that field, you couldn’t draw a football and tell me where the furthest point was?
You're right. That's simple and brilliant. Now I'm more pissed this hasn't happened yet.

Yeah. This was suggested earlier. Given today's technology, this should be the biggest no brainer out there for the NFL and probably college. Or at least D1 college. Chipped footballs wouldn't be that expensive. However, the locating sensors could be.

There prob a way to make Hawkeye infrared or something and track a ball through bodies right? Again, some sort of special chip/sensor prob required though.

Here is an article from 2017 about the NFL using tracking chips in balls to measure player performance.

One promise that has long been discussed concerns officiating. The holy grail would be for officials to use location data to spot the ball exactly at the end of each down, as well as measure precisely for down and distance and determine whether the ball has crossed the goal line.

Don’t expect that to be anytime coming soon. The tag accuracy is specified down to six inches and guaranteed to 10, which is nowhere near fine enough to automate touchdown and first down calls. In addition, none of the current tracking technologies can tell if and when a player’s knee went down, or if he still had possession of the ball.
The knee or possession isn't difficult if the tracking is synced to the time the knee was down.

That's 7 1/2 minutes of a guy standing in the right place while 9 other guys are or should be moving.

Here is an article from 2017 about the NFL using tracking chips in balls to measure player performance.

The knee or possession isn't difficult if the tracking is synced to the time the knee was down.

At some point last season I was watching a game and they showed a stat that indicated the ball was chipped already. That’s when I lost my mind that they aren’t using this for breaking the plane. It’s insane

Yeah. This was suggested earlier. Given today's technology, this should be the biggest no brainer out there for the NFL and probably college. Or at least D1 college. Chipped footballs wouldn't be that expensive. However, the locating sensors could be.
Well it's not just seeing where the football is, it's timing it with a referee's whistle blowing dead forward progress, or synching with video to see when a knee is down. It doesn't really matter where a chip says the ball is covered by a 12 bodies. If you can't see the ball I doubt you can see whether the runner is walking or crawling over the goal line either. Relying solely on that would be less accurate than what we have now. I don't see what the major upside would be. You would have to rely on multiple systems working together and being reviewed every play to spot the ball. Then I guess you shoot lasers onto the field so the ref knows where to put it down?

Well it's not just seeing where the football is, it's timing it with a referee's whistle blowing dead forward progress, or synching with video to see when a knee is down. It doesn't really matter where a chip says the ball is covered by a 12 bodies. If you can't see the ball I doubt you can see whether the runner is walking or crawling over the goal line either. Relying solely on that would be less accurate than what we have now. I don't see what the major upside would be. You would have to rely on multiple systems working together and being reviewed every play to spot the ball. Then I guess you shoot lasers onto the field so the ref knows where to put it down?
no different than today...only with at least the ability to say...yeah it crossed the plane even thought I couldn't see that part of it.
It wouldn't solve everything, but it certainly could help

is the thinking the tech doesn’t exist to handle place of ball at the time of whistle or spot of forward progress?

that seems to me to be the much easier-to-solve piece of this

no different than today...only with at least the ability to say...yeah it crossed the plane even thought I couldn't see that part of it.
It wouldn't solve everything, but it certainly could help
Crossing the plane without seeing the runner is not conclusive evidence. It may not be different than today but it doesn’t add that much either. And coordinating all the other stuff like ref whistles and knees down and such adds so many technical pieces with little to gain.

is the thinking the tech doesn’t exist to handle place of ball at the time of whistle or spot of forward progress?

that seems to me to be the much easier-to-solve piece of this
It’s not that it doesn’t exist. I’m suggesting the gains are minimal for what it would take to accomplish.

Why can't Hawkeye technology like TENNIS be used in other sports to determine if a ball/player is out of bounds, over the goalline, fair/foul, etc.? Seems doable.
Hawkeye technology is practical in tennis because you have one ball and no bodies in the way. At the goaline in football would be impossible because there are at a minimum 12-14 bodies crashing together in a scrum as said ball carrier is hunkered over a ball we can’t see, trying to get over a line we can’t see clearly.
Having been there as a HL or LJ in high school football back in 80’s & 90’s, you have to position yourself, as they do now in college, HS & NFL, right on each sideline (so as to not be in the way of a play, sweep, block, etc. Those 2 officials are the only 2 who can signal if the ball crosses the plane. Thanks to good replay angles, especially overhead, you can see the ball where no official has a chance to see it until the pile unpiles and you see where the ball is laying like back in the old days. (Same as fumbles are done now😁)

It’s not that it doesn’t exist. I’m suggesting the gains are minimal for what it would take to accomplish.
I can’t imagine what the expense would be to develop all the chip technology to be used in a football, then at what cost for each school? Plus what you would need on the field and at the stadium.
Not like MLB that has unlimited funds to register spin rates of every ball pitched & velocity of balls hit.

i think they have the money

Hawkeye technology is practical in tennis because you have one ball and no bodies in the way. At the goaline in football would be impossible because there are at a minimum 12-14 bodies crashing together in a scrum as said ball carrier is hunkered over a ball we can’t see, trying to get over a line we can’t see clearly.
Having been there as a HL or LJ in high school football back in 80’s & 90’s, you have to position yourself, as they do now in college, HS & NFL, right on each sideline (so as to not be in the way of a play, sweep, block, etc. Those 2 officials are the only 2 who can signal if the ball crosses the plane. Thanks to good replay angles, especially overhead, you can see the ball where no official has a chance to see it until the pile unpiles and you see where the ball is laying like back in the old days. (Same as fumbles are done now😁)
a ball with a chip eliminates one of the things they have to see

Back