• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you could change any rule in pro sports

If you play through all four quarters/two halfs of your basketball game without calling a timeout, your team is credited three points at the end of regulation.
On that point, get rid of that so-called free TO in the first half they always use with under a minute. You get 4 or you get 5. If TV needs another little commercial, take it.
And during NCAA, 120 seconds is long enough for a commercial, not 3.5 minutes or whatever.

I’m all in on quarters for college basketball
Exactly. Men’s bball the only one not using quarters for whatever reason. International/Olympics with shot clock, women’s with 30 second shot clock have been that way for years and years. As has high school.

Replay isn't the problem. The replay process is the problem. 9 times out of 10, the call is obvious after watching the replay. It's ridiculous to put a tablet on the sideline or field and have the same crew who made the call determine if they got it wrong. Let a replay official decide. Give them 60 seconds to make the call. If they don't finish in 60 seconds, reverse the call. That will force the replay official to make a definitive call.

And don't make it a timeout or commercial break. The teams should stay on the court/field ready for the whistle.
Having been there/done that, not as simple as you make it. Plus with what is on the line, they want to make sure to get it correct if possible. The bigger the game, the more cameras and angles. In the simple ACCN type game, you might be able to review the DVS given 4 or so camera angles real quick. But get the national games with high def, more cameras, you might have to call up 8 or 9 looks to get the right one from what my buddies now tell me.
And to me, the hardest call out there to be made is the bball out of bounds call as to who touched it last. Those calls are made all night long (and missed) and the game goes on till the last two minutes when replay takes over. Call on the floor will stand unless overturned. Dang those calls are impossible to make in real time and damn hard even with replay. And they decide games.

Just play regular help defense and if the offensive player barrels through the lane, it's a foul.
Exactly. The defensive arc was put in to stop the secondary defender from just jumping in on a drive to collect the cheap foul. A lot of people yell on a charge when the main guy guarding gets the call and his feet are inside the line. That is perfectly OK.
But you are right—just can’t let an offensive guy get a head of steam and barrel thru the lane. Defender getting no call has no chance then and a guy like Shaq would score 70

Well those last few posts pretty much seal the argument that computers should take over. Your options are TheReff or the future, pretty easy choice in pretty much all aspects of life.

Any flop (non contact play designed to draw a foul/penalty, whether called in real time or retroactively after game) is a 1 game suspension

Players do not foul out. After 5 fouls the other team shoots 2 shots and gets the ball.

Only sport that eliminates players.

Players do not foul out. After 5 fouls the other team shoots 2 shots and gets the ball.

Only sport that eliminates players.
eliminates for non-excessive type fouls i assume you mean. for quantity not severity

Since both football and soccer eliminate players for too many SEVERE fouls

For soccer I would reduce the size of the 18 yard box and maybe make it an arc rather than a box. Or, if the box stays the same, I would move the spot back from 12 yards to 15 or 18 yards. Or have a different spot for different foul locations within the box. A penalty is too easy to convert for fouls inside the box, especially inconsequential ones that are far from the goal or when an attacking player isn't remotely in a place to make a legit attempt.

I would also bring back the old rule about how many steps a keeper can take after picking up the ball. Drives me crazy when keepers run all over the box with the ball. Also, the Pickford timewasting frog flop onto the ground after a routine save should be punished with a trip to the guillotine.

I'd also change offside to something very simple, like just looking at feet rather than any body part that could score. The arbitrary shoulder line is dumb.

I'd also get rid of suspensions for accumulations of yellows both in league and especially in tournaments. It's far too harsh when yellows are often handed out arbitrarily. Or, if you want to keep all of that, at least have a legitimate review process by an independent board after the game to rescind yellows.

Put another way: any additional rules that can be put into place that disincentivize help defenders from just failing to move to get run over and/or not attempting to even play defense/stop moving I'm in favor of. The current state of the block/charge - whether due to the rules or lack of appropriate enforcement of thoe rules - is ridiculous.

mako being pro-charge has to be the least surprising revelation in OGB history

Why can't Hawkeye technology like TENNIS be used in other sports to determine if a ball/player is out of bounds, over the goalline, fair/foul, etc.? Seems doable.
In tennis that technology is used to locate the ball when it hits the ground. There are no people or racquets in the way.

Could work for baseball foul/fair at the foul pole. Attempted catches at the foul line ? Ball is in the air, and the fielders glove is also in the way. Locating the ball with respect to the foul line when the ball is as much as 8 feet above the ground? Need a lot of modification.

Football scoring, the issue is often finding the ball somewhere in the pile of bodies. Again, a different problem.

In tennis that technology is used to locate the ball when it hits the ground. There are no people or racquets in the way.

Could work for baseball foul/fair at the foul pole. Attempted catches at the foul line ? Ball is in the air, and the fielders glove is also in the way. Locating the ball with respect to the foul line when the ball is as much as 8 feet above the ground? Need a lot of modification.

Football scoring, the issue is often finding the ball somewhere in the pile of bodies. Again, a different problem.

Put a chip in the ball. As soon as it crosses the plane of the goal which also has a sensor it goes off. It’s not that difficult. We’ve been doing it to dogs with invisible fences for years. We can’t do it with a football ?

Hell at the World Cup they could tell if someone’s nipple was past someone else’s shoulder. We’re jot looking for a scientific breakthrough here

I’ll grant you the visibility element, but Hawkeye tracks the full flight of the ball. Not just when it hits the ground.

Put a chip in the ball. As soon as it crosses the plane of the goal which also has a sensor it goes off. It’s not that difficult. We’ve been doing it to dogs with invisible fences for years. We can’t do it with a football ?

Hell at the World Cup they could tell if someone’s nipple was past someone else’s shoulder. We’re jot looking for a scientific breakthrough here
100% this. Put a damn chip in the ball. Get rid of the chains. The NFL is controlled to the smallest detail in every aspect of the product, except for spotting the ball, where you basically rely on some 45 year old whose day job is a commercial real estate broker to put his foot down where he thinks the ball hit the turf.

You'd have to put chips all over the outside of the ball or change the rules to say the ball is placed where the points of the ball are.

You'd have to put chips all over the outside of the ball or change the rules to say the ball is placed where the points of the ball are.
One at one end and one at the other. If you know where both points are at the same time, you know where all of the football is at that time. I mean I guess compression might alter that, but not to a significant degree. Better than the guess we have now.

That doesn't necessarily tell you the furthest part of the football. It does probably 90% of the time. But that's why they'd have to change the rules to the point of the ball.

Back