• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you could change any rule in pro sports

Get rid of replay.
This is my favorite reply in this thread. Replay bogs down every game and the better the cameras get, the more we realize we can’t always tell, no matter how many times you look at it. I firmly believe we will cycle back to getting rid of replay in almost every sport over the next 15-20 years and people will learn to enjoy the moment again, rather than not being able to enjoy it because you’re waiting for the replay. Replay is the worst development across all sports this century.

Replay isn't the problem. The replay process is the problem. 9 times out of 10, the call is obvious after watching the replay. It's ridiculous to put a tablet on the sideline or field and have the same crew who made the call determine if they got it wrong. Let a replay official decide. Give them 60 seconds to make the call. If they don't finish in 60 seconds, reverse the call. That will force the replay official to make a definitive call.

And don't make it a timeout or commercial break. The teams should stay on the court/field ready for the whistle.

Any and all excessive celebration penalties disappear. I want touchdowns celebrated with fucking fireworks if the player set it up beforehand. Football is fun, let it be fun. Also let them wear cool cleats like soccer.
Gooner gets it.

I’m all in for the no penalties for excessive celebration.

But, if I had one I remove PED rules. Sports are suppose to entertain, let’s see what the max is.

I think the basketball replay last two minutes is also fucking bullshit. But definitely down the list.

I was always against replay but the officiating in All Sports has been so atrocious I’m now a convert. I get how tough it is in basketball because the game is so fast, it’s just plain difficult. But in football the calls are often mind boggling. Speed up the process and limit the the number of calls. And include pass interference. Those are always the most aggresses and game changing of all calls. One PI review a game for each Team. Win it keep the challenge; lose it, lose a TO.

I’m fine with replay but think that they need to eliminate using slow-mo for replay. Just use it as game speed. If it can’t be overturned by viewing it game speed it’s not an obvious miss

if you fumble through the endzone and oob, it shouldn't be a touchback
I hate the fumble out of the end zone rule.

came here to post this. if you fumble into the endzone and oob just 6 inches past the pylon it's a turnover and touchback but if you fumble oob at the 6" line you keep the ball at the 6" line. that makes no fucking sense. if you do the former, just move the ball back to the spot of the fumble and the offense keeps the ball

if you fumble through the endzone and oob, it shouldn't be a touchback

came here to post this. if you fumble into the endzone and oob just 6 inches past the pylon it's a turnover and touchback but if you fumble oob at the 6" line you keep the ball at the 6" line. that makes no fucking sense. if you do the former, just move the ball back to the spot of the fumble and the offense keeps the ball
It's funny to me how many people are so troubled with this rule. I imagine it's because most people have never heard of it until the very rare occasion it actually happens. I'd guess it was a different world when the rule went in. Rugby style scrums at the goal line where a fumble into the endzone is 50/50. There is such a huge upside for the offense to fumble the ball into the endzone and fall on it I guess they just figured it was a fair balance that it's a huge downside if it bounces out of bounds. I like that there are a few hold overs from the old days. Don't fumble.

I was always against replay but the officiating in All Sports has been so atrocious I’m now a convert. I get how tough it is in basketball because the game is so fast, it’s just plain difficult. But in football the calls are often mind boggling. Speed up the process and limit the the number of calls. And include pass interference. Those are always the most aggresses and game changing of all calls. One PI review a game for each Team. Win it keep the challenge; lose it, lose a TO.
I would say officiating in all sports is at a higher level than it's every been in the history of football, basketball and baseball by a huge margin. The preparation and training, and ongoing evaluations that officials go through now is lightyears ahead of where it was 20 years ago. HDTV and a million camera angles and social media that highlights the misses changes the perception. Go back and look at baseball videos from 40 years ago and tell me umpires are worse now than then.

Replay adds nothing interesting to the game and in most cases makes it worse. In football you have a scrum and we stop play for five minutes while we look at a pile of about three tons of humanity stacked up on the goal line from 12 angles. Then a rules expert comes on and blah blah blah. It would be way more exciting for the ref to make a call immediately that they didn't see a TD and let the offense rush up and try and sneak one in on second down. When was the last time we saw plays like that? Or an unbelievable "catch" that 1 in a million people can make and after ten minutes of analysis we decide a pinky lost contact with the ball as he fell to the ground and it's incomplete. Who cares...

For all the handwringing about officials making it about themselves endless replays and rules experts on every freaking TV game makes it exactly about that. And TV announcers that are idiots that don't know the rules but talk about them anyway. I mean nobody is perfect but officials in all sports are 1000x better now than ever before. All the complaining about officials and the obsessions with replay is from armchair fans that have been conditioned to care too much about it.

This isn't even remotely true.

If anything it should be better enforced, Koepka not getting penalized was chickenshit. Players aren't watching live TV coverage while playing - they definitely don't know what club a playing partner is hitting all the time, and when a shot comes up 10 yards short they absolutely want to know what the player just hit. Let's say the guys are friends like JT and Spieth - JT turns around after coming up short and signals 6 iron to Jordan, he switches clubs and flags it. It's just straight cheating.
Yeah, I'm with DC on this one. On the tee, yeah players probably have a good idea of the club the player that hit in front of them played, just by looking at it. In the fairway when they're not that close, they don't know a lot of times. I think it should be a penalty if one player or caddie intentionally tells another player what they hit. If the players are pretty close together, they probably have a good idea anyway, but the information should not be given intentionally. They already have all the yardage information you could possibly have and you've got both player and caddie checking the wind, that should be enough to make decision what to hit.

NFL replay clearly the worst, partially because the sport is the dumbest and has the dumbest rules (definitely need to change what a catch is every couple years, good work geniuses), and still uses hilarious chain technology for first downs. Get rid.

NBA and MLB calls are more clear cut on video, let’s just tidy it up.

Professional soccer has not benefitted from the addition of reviews in any of their forms apart from automatic goal line technology. Keep that, ditch the rest.

I mean if you could change replay to be almost unnoticeable and not interrupt the flow of the game. Some sports are better than others at that. I heard on the radio about NHL replay letting play continue then going back and quick checking. It would be hard to do that in other sports but that sounded cool.

NFL/NCAAFB have damn near ruined the game with replay. The flow of running up to the ball and catching defense off guard is non-existent, and pretty much everything associated with replay sucks in football. And they've turned the whole rule/replay thing into a massive part of the game experience on TV. Sitting through a replay in person is intolerable.

Baseball irks me the most. There's over a hundred years of agreed on standards in umpiring, like ballpark calls and neighborhood rule at second, etc. There just wasn't anything wrong with it. MLB replays just look dumb and improve the game zero.

Back