• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you could change any rule in pro sports

This is so out-of-touch I don't even know where to begin. The players absolutely KNOW what the other guy is hitting. But, why would they care? These guys know what they hit 180 yards. They also know against the wind and with the wind behind them. They hit THOUSANDS of balls. They don't need to be told what to hit. Just so ridiculous and outdated.

This isn't some weekend municipal golf tournament. These guys know their games and play for millions. What some other player hits has almost ZERO influence on their mindset or game.
This is not accurate at all. Players want all the information they can get for every shot. They can watch their partner hit the shot and tell whether he took a little off or hit it full or whatever. If they then know what club they hit that will give them more information about how long the shot is playing. And these guys are so precise, just adjusting how the shot is playing by a couple of yards makes a difference to them. Telling them what club you just hit is basically like saying "there is more wind up there than you think" which is giving advice, which is cheating.

I mean if you could change replay to be almost unnoticeable and not interrupt the flow of the game. Some sports are better than others at that. I heard on the radio about NHL replay letting play continue then going back and quick checking. It would be hard to do that in other sports but that sounded cool.

NFL/NCAAFB have damn near ruined the game with replay. The flow of running up to the ball and catching defense off guard is non-existent, and pretty much everything associated with replay sucks in football. And they've turned the whole rule/replay thing into a massive part of the game experience on TV. Sitting through a replay in person is intolerable.

Baseball irks me the most. There's over a hundred years of agreed on standards in umpiring, like ballpark calls and neighborhood rule at second, etc. There just wasn't anything wrong with it. MLB replays just look dumb and improve the game zero.

college basketball too. Now in the last minute of the game, we have to stop the clock after seemingly every made basket so that we can check to see if we should have 22.7 or 22.3 seconds on the clock. Which of course gives coaches time to coach, set defense, etc.

Play the game!

How has no one said robot umps in baseball yet? That's a no-brainer with the technology we now have.

Look what the Hawkeye technology has done for TENNIS. Much better sport.

In general, I'm for getting rid of the "human element" of officiating sports wherever possible. People who want the rules enforced less-well baffle me.

I’d be down with timeouts decreasing to 1 if you have multiple ones left with a minute left in basketball. Or just cutting total timeouts to 2 a game or something. Agreed the dumb stoppages suck. Just go to Elam Ending

NFL replay clearly the worst, partially because the sport is the dumbest and has the dumbest rules (definitely need to change what a catch is every couple years, good work geniuses), and still uses hilarious chain technology for first downs. Get rid.

NBA and MLB calls are more clear cut on video, let’s just tidy it up.

Professional soccer has not benefitted from the addition of reviews in any of their forms apart from automatic goal line technology. Keep that, ditch the rest.
MLB is not that clear cut either. There were two calls in the Cardinals Cubs game last night in the same inning where you couldn’t tell even after multiple replays at multiple angles. On one, the commentators were sure the call would be overturned; it wasn’t. There have been many bang bang calls at first over the last couple of years where you just can’t tell. Even with the cameras as good as they are, you still can’t tell. Just let the umpire make a call and move on.

Replay in soccer has unquestionably made the sport worse. None of the big calls are clear cut. It eliminates the flow of the game that the referee has to take into account making calls.

Officiating is hard fucking work. They get it right sometimes and they get it wrong sometimes. That’s life. But we bog down every game now and the announcers and commentators still argue over the same damn calls. Sports were much better before the cult of replay and having to “get every call right” overtook everything. I just want to watch a game of football. I don’t want to listen to a bunch of lawyering of every damn word of the rule of a catch.

This is not accurate at all. Players want all the information they can get for every shot. They can watch their partner hit the shot and tell whether he took a little off or hit it full or whatever. If they then know what club they hit that will give them more information about how long the shot is playing. And these guys are so precise, just adjusting how the shot is playing by a couple of yards makes a difference to them. Telling them what club you just hit is basically like saying "there is more wind up there than you think" which is giving advice, which is cheating.
I agree with both sides of this argument. It's a huge benefit to know what another player is hitting.

However, it's not difficult for a player to listen in to another player's conversation with a caddy, nor is it hard for a player/caddy to look at what club was pulled (or what club is no longer in the other player's bag). So it's pretty much impossible to enforce.

Which pro football league was allowing its fans to call a play? Xfl? Let’s have every home team’s fans the opportunity to call one offensive play in every fourth quarter of every game.

I agree with both sides of this argument. It's a huge benefit to know what another player is hitting.

However, it's not difficult for a player to listen in to another player's conversation with a caddy, nor is it hard for a player/caddy to look at what club was pulled (or what club is no longer in the other player's bag). So it's pretty much impossible to enforce.
The question of enforcement is different from whether you should have the rule. And enforcement shouldn't be hard when you have someone yelling their club choice across the fairway... I was playing in the NC senior yesterday with someone who had never played the course and I had to continually remind myself not to give him advice beyond factual data like yardages and the like. You do it all the time in a casual round so it can be hard to remember to change your behavior.

Has to be the charge for me. That a grown man runs to a spot and stands still, making no athletic play at all, just to try to let someone run into him and fall over is the dumbest fucking rule in sports.

Additionally, with the removal of the charge call, crack down on offensive push offs, both on and off the ball.

How has no one said robot umps in baseball yet? That's a no-brainer with the technology we now have.

Look what the Hawkeye technology has done for TENNIS. Much better sport.

In general, I'm for getting rid of the "human element" of officiating sports wherever possible. People who want the rules enforced less-well baffle me.

It should be robot/AI for all sports or at least for parts of the game. In football probably would be a problem with holding on every play but what’s a catch, first down lines, etc…

It should be robot/AI for all sports or at least for parts of the game. In football probably would be a problem with holding on every play but what’s a catch, first down lines, etc…
GPS chips in footballs to determine forward progress, first down and touchdown. Keep the sticks so audience knows approximate distance. Actual position of the football determined electronically.

I’m not really that passionate about it either way and could be convinced that it’s now past its point of usefulness.

But it seems like the whole concept of defense - blocking a scoring opportunity - is getting to the spot where an offensive player cannot get around you to score a goal.

And if you get to that spot before they do, such that their only option is to go through you - you’re not playing a contact sport like football - then that offensive player should be penalized for resorting to that option. Hence the charge call.

ETA I do hate the way it’s abused a la Duke Blue Devils, Marcus Smart, etc. So maybe that’s what everyone here is trying to get rid of.

Has to be the charge for me. That a grown man runs to a spot and stands still, making no athletic play at all, just to try to let someone run into him and fall over is the dumbest fucking rule in sports.

Additionally, with the removal of the charge call, crack down on offensive push offs, both on and off the ball.
yep

sometimes the best defense play you can manage is to get in the way with your arms up and make the shot/maneuver as difficult as possible, and sometimes dudes are too out of control to avoid that -- but to slide in last minute, initiate contact, and fall backwards for a reward is terrible

I guess I just don't care for all that in sports. AI is fine for work, or transportation, or NASA satellites, but I have zero interest to go to a leisure event being run by robots. Just not for me.

I think the whole issue is more of a nerdy fascination with nerdy things than an appreciation for a sport.

GPS chips in footballs to determine forward progress, first down and touchdown. Keep the sticks so audience knows approximate distance. Actual position of the football determined electronically.
This and a digital strike zone will only seem like a dumber omission as each year goes on. I can use my phone to tell me which couch cushion is covering my remote control, but I'm supposed to rely on an averagely athletic older man to see through 250 pound people in a pile to tell me where the ball is supposed to be?

I mean if you appreciate shitty officiating more power to you but it’s fixable with technology.
I mean I appreciate the many nuances of a 150 year old sport.

Do you watch baseball? I mean it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. You just seem like you have more of a passion for computers than baseball.

Wanting to eliminate shitty human error and having outcomes based off skill and athletics doesn’t seem like it’s a passion for computers but for making the sports about the sport and not shitty umps/refs which takes away from the game. You seem like a luddite that sits in the stands filling out his printed box sheet with his no2 pencil when all that info is easily populated on your phone. Sounds like you might be the old timey nerd.

Back