• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Infinite Jest mafia sign up - CLOSED. Roles out Sun PM

@townie,

general rules of thumb for a first modded themed game:

1) don't fuck with votes
2) have >= half of the roles in the game be vanilla civ
3) 25% - 33% of the players should be mafia depending on group size and other mechanics
4) don't lie to players or have secrets about their roles that they don't know about (e.g., a naive cop)
5) don't have more than 3 factions in the game (civ / maf / maf or civ / maf / indy)
6) if you really like a role you've written or if one role has a lot of power, do a mental exercise and take it out of the game. is the game still fun for the players and is it still reasonably possible for all factions to win (excluding indy of course)

of course, feel free to break these rules. i'm not telling you what to do. i'm just trying to give you the opportunity to learn from my own experience

@townie,

general rules of thumb for a first modded themed game:

1) don't fuck with votes
2) have >= half of the roles in the game be vanilla civ
3) 25% - 33% of the players should be mafia depending on group size and other mechanics
4) don't lie to players or have secrets about their roles that they don't know about (e.g., a naive cop)
5) don't have more than 3 factions in the game (civ / maf / maf or civ / maf / indy)
6) if you really like a role you've written or if one role has a lot of power, do a mental exercise and take it out of the game. is the game still fun for the players and is it still reasonably possible for all factions to win (excluding indy of course)

of course, feel free to break these rules. i'm not telling you what to do. i'm just trying to give you the opportunity to learn from my own experience

7) Have a character, who when dies, released the entire game makeup and player roles to another living player.

Remember when hoophead wrote a game where everyone was a civ as a sick experiment?

10/10, best maf game we've ever played

Did one other theme before so this will be my second. I’ll send you a PM too WFU03.

Remember when hoophead wrote a game where everyone was a civ as a sick experiment?

I have contemplated this so many times, never knew it got actually played before. That's hilarious, Hoop is awesome.

I have contemplated this so many times, never knew it got actually played before. That's hilarious, Hoop is awesome.

He's a Dukie. I think the theme was UNC athletics, with the mafia being the honest student athletes trying to get their education, and the civs being random cheating ass UNC student athletes. Everyone was a vanilla civ. I wanna say there were still claims in that game, because duh, of course we decided to play with poetry

Last edited:
In for Infinite Jest.

He's a Dukie. I think the theme was UNC athletics, with the mafia being the honest student athletes trying to get their education, and the civs being random cheating ass UNC student athletes. Everyone was a vanilla civ. I wanna say there were still claims in that game, because duh, of course we decided to play with poetry

Great concept. Better theme.

Everyone in a mafia. All have night actions.

i ran a game once where everyone was 1 on 1 masons with everyone else. that was a headache

Bouta pick up my takeout meal from Manresa. I know its not the same as their normal meal, but still, v excite.

Definitely bastard modding, but the theme is too good I wouldn't even be mad

Have we ever done a pure vanilla game? Goons and vanilla civs? I think that would be the most fun

Have we ever done a pure vanilla game? Goons and vanilla civs? I think that would be the most fun

Whenever I run one again, that’s my plan. You like following the cop or claiming some complex role blocking, alignment altering mechanic? Not the game for you.

That was most of what we did back in the day on the suque back before the BnB and their shitty format/software.

Although I think my version was you could talk to someone off chat but had no idea their allegiance which may explain the issue

I remember that one. Interesting dynamic.

Whenever I run one again, that’s my plan. You like following the cop or claiming some complex role blocking, alignment altering mechanic? Not the game for you.

***WFU03***

Back