• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inspector General finds that Clinton sent classified info on personal server

Doesn't make it ok.

It's honestly probably a generational problem. I don't think it would affect her presidency, but if she didn't have staff that told her it was wrong, that's on her.

#obsessed ;)

It doesn't make it ok, but spare me the faux outrage and fear that she compromised the security of the US. It's a gotcha scandal.

I'm a Bernie guy so IDGAF

Hilary using the private email server was wrong. There's no two ways about it. It was done that way not out of convenience but out of her and Bill's desire to be secretive and control the narrative as best they can.

this one:

There were official documents and policies pre-2010 that recognized the fact that simple security features such as public encryption and digital signatures were not available on government systems and detailed how employees were to use other email systems if they required those capabilities. The public evidence of this is that prior to 2010 you wouldn't see any mobile email device outside of a blackberry that was dedicated only to government email being used by the vast majority of officials. Those that didn't use them, had multiple accounts on their own devices at that time, or used a dedicated phone other than a blackberry were using their own solution.

There were few requirements on email until 2010 mainly because all the executive-level folks at various agencies had their own way of doing business. The vast majority used a government email for some things and personal email for others - but did not split them between personal/business and it was not required to do so. All that was required was the basics of record keeping and data protection which is entrusted to all government employees.

For a year we were encouraged to use encrypted Gmail with two-factor authentication, and had to print out our emails and store them. Even the DHS email system wasn't completed in 2008 - they were on Exchange 2003, without a comprehensive solution for encrypting or retaining all email. Don't make me laugh regarding US-CERT (or "Einstein" if you prefer) - that was nowhere 7 years ago, and when they realized exactly how many agencies and groups and individuals were using their own solutions the had to form an entire new program just to reduce the number of places US-CERT had to exist. A year after it was mandated it was in less than 1% of where it was supposed to be.

Maybe it's because I've seen that effort from the ground level that this doesn't move the needle for me - not if Hillary did it, not if Bush did it. What would matter is if records were destroyed intentionally. Emails from 7+ years ago being deleted through negligence... Meh. I mean, good luck finding anyone in government who can produce all their emails from 2007 if they weren't maintaining them privately. Everyone just thinks they're on a server somewhere or in a tape in some magic bunker or something - they're more than likely not.

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...roblem/page12?highlight=clinton+email+problem

Hilary using the private email server was wrong. There's no two ways about it. It was done that way not out of convenience but out of her and Bill's desire to be secretive and control the narrative as best they can.

Yeah it was wrong but in the great scheme of things it doesn't mean anything if everyone up there in our shitshow bought-and-sold government is doing the same thing. My point being, our pool of candidates is all doing he same level of wrongdoing.

Last edited:
Doesn't make it ok.

It's honestly probably a generational problem. I don't think it would affect her presidency, but if she didn't have staff that told her it was wrong, that's on her.

Not entirely buying the generational angle, but on some level, HRC, Trump, Palin, Santorum, Bachmann, Carson, and Huckabee have staff problems. Trump and Hillary have more than enough resources to hire good staffers, but they don't attract or hire strong willed people and obviously tune out any criticism. The others aren't very bright and don't have the resources or political upside to attract great staffers.

Its not like its some fucking mystery. Cava pretends he has only been lurking for a few weeks, hence the join date which is public of 6/19. LK does an IP search, sees that Cava shares a unique IP with a long time lurker/poster and there you go. Its not some great amazing hack, just like RJs password disaster wasn't some crazy security breach.

Then he shouldn't talk about it at all.

Did you participate in OGB's thread about outing parodies if they entered into the red? This is like that except it doesn't reveal who is behind the parody -- if that is in fact what is going on.

I'd like to see an audit of all elected and appointed members of government's use of email and adherence to the rules/laws regarding 1) use of private email/server for official government business and 2) sending classified email unsecured from proper servers. Just for comparison.

There was a post on one of these threads the last time we did this dance that revealed that less than 5% (i believe) of government officials used only their government email for official government correspondence. I'll have to look it up...

Nice, so we are going to go with the typical UNC everyone does it, we just got caught approach. I like it.

Its not like its some fucking mystery. Cava pretends he has only been lurking for a few weeks, hence the join date which is public of 6/19. LK does an IP search, sees that Cava shares a unique IP with a long time lurker/poster and there you go. Its not some great amazing hack, just like RJs password disaster wasn't some crazy security breach.

it was god damned identity theft!!!!!!!

Nice, so we are going to go with the typical UNC everyone does it, we just got caught approach. I like it.

Yeah best we spend countless hours wringing our hands over it and electing an official that has shitty ideas and poor skills but was the least shitty emailer.

Justice Department official now says that the referral was NOT a criminal referral. It appears that the Inspector General asked to open a general inquiry over potential issues related to emails to and from Clinton while stating that it wasn't just about Clinton.

New York Times says that "they got it wrong because their sources got it wrong." Uh huh.

How has this not already been discussed that the story fell apart like it inevitably would?

Isn't this the political discussion forum?

Media Matters journalist says he thinks there is no way a Jeb Bush story would have gone front page like this, Chris Hayes of all people is defending the Times saying it would be front page news if it was anyone. Media Matters guy says this is a two decade scheme against the Clintons from the Times dating back to Whitewater in an attempt to criminalize the Clintons due to bogus links from partisan sources in Washington who then just say whoops afterwards.

I'd like to see an audit of all elected and appointed members of government's use of email and adherence to the rules/laws regarding 1) use of private email/server for official government business and 2) sending classified email unsecured from proper servers. Just for comparison.

There was a post on one of these threads the last time we did this dance that revealed that less than 5% (i believe) of government officials used only their government email for official government correspondence. I'll have to look it up...

That cannot possibly be right. If it even remotely right then there's a long chain of IT and risk people who need to be replaced with people who are capable of implementing secure systems, instilling confidence in those systems among government workers, and monitoring compliance. That would never ever fly in private industry.

Did you participate in OGB's thread about outing parodies if they entered into the red? This is like that except it doesn't reveal who is behind the parody -- if that is in fact what is going on.
Doubt it, but don't remember.

I'm just saying that it is super lame for anybody with inside information to drop tantalizing hints and then fail to reveal relevant information. Better to just stay silent, though people can't seem to help but revel in their power. LK is not even close to the worst offender. Moonz was particularly guilty in his day.

Back