• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Isaac Haas

The big deal is that [Redacted] lost his highest rated recruit ever on signing day, something that doesn't happen in hoops. It's embarrassing.

It would be embarrassing for a program that had the capacity to be embarrassed. We crossed that Rubicon three years ago and haven't looked back.

If that story is even half true we are probably better off in the long run not to have that type of personality on the team. He probably did us a favor by showing both his and his family's true colors before we were stuck with him. My prediction is he ends up transferring to UAB when its all said and done.
I agree. He could have been a real cancer to the team. There's only so long you can hide who you really are, thankfully it was before we sunk a ton of money into him.

I have no insight other than Matt Painter is a damn good coach. I wish we had him. I'm guessing Haas has a very average career there. As was said earlier, the biggest blow to us is our ego; this kind of thing just doesn't happen in CBB.

Ph, Purdue fans were gifted this signing. Haas wasn't really on their fans' radar until signing day.

The big deal is that [Redacted] lost his highest rated recruit ever on signing day, something that doesn't happen in hoops. It's embarrassing.

I would be embarrassed if we had lost Shelton Mitchell or Devin Thomas. I'm not embarrassed we lost a 7 foot stiff. I'm embarrassed we had fans that were excited to sign him in the first place.

The fact that we had dipshits on this board and others putting him in the starting lineup next year is really sad.

Plus the way Haas handled it did maximum damage to our beleaguered staff. Not even Bz deserves that kind of public disrespect. Okay maybe he does, but I still have some empathy for him in this situation.

I would be embarrassed if we had lost Shelton Mitchell or Devin Thomas. I'm not embarrassed we lost a 7 foot stiff. I'm embarrassed we had fans that were excited to sign him in the first place.

The fact that we had dipshits on this board and others putting him in the starting lineup next year is really sad.

the fact that there was a decent chance he might start next year is sad too.

This made me laugh. Went back to hammer and rails, the Purdue site. There's this gem from November:

I think the plot twists now that painter has been seen there
Woo him CMP woo him

Also, what’s up with the agriculture jokes from wake forest bloggers?

by PurdueEnginerd on Nov 16, 2013 | 9:59 AM reply
ZoKnowsDefense
Wake Forest Bloggers=Duke Wannabes
Doesn’t get any lower than that

by ZoKnowsDefense on Nov 16, 2013 | 10:34 AM up reply
I am sorry
but where does that school rank in both value and market perception? I’ll stick with my Purdue degree thank you. Another Coastal Conference degree not from Duke means little.

Purdue is an excellent school, but good God. Evidently, their worldview ends within B1G country.

I read that Painter told Haas to honer his committment but when Haas said he was definitely not going to Wake, he decided he couldn't pass on this kid. Don't know who to believe, the shitty coaching staff trying to save their jobs or someone from the B1G where being shady is the norm.

[bobryan]there are no angels in college basketball[/bobryan]

I know DeaconKing has good sources, but this would carry a lot more weight with me if Bz and co. hadn't deflected the blame--be it towards the players, fans, or prior coach--for literally everything that's happened to the program since Bz stepped foot on campus.

I'm just going to throw this out there - the timing of these DeaconKing posts are really suspicious. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't jive at all, whatsoever, with any information out there. It sounds like some post-Clawson signing AD-leakage, if you ask me.

Plus, as CHillDeac rightfully points out - our staff was obviously not on Haas as much as they should have been because we know for a fact that they had no idea what the situation was and gave other coaches the opportunity to get down there. Information doesn't have to be relayed to our staff. Staffs are supposed to know these things. That's what they're paid to do - keep in touch with the kid, talk to his coaches, etc. Unless DeaconKing is suggesting that this whole thing is a conspiracy to have delivered him to Purdue after he verballed, I'm calling bullshit.

What a mess.

And some of y'all really suck. Like really suck. It always sucks to lose a top-75 big. I guess it's easy to comment on the state of things when you don't sit through the wreck that is Wake Forest basketball every game.

I guess. I was less happy about the recruiting efforts in general than losing a specific verbal.

What does that even mean, though? Haas was probably the second highest big on our board (depending on whether you believe we ever had a shot in hell at Leron Black) and we locked him up. For Buzz and in any recruiting year, that's a big deal.

Haas's RSCI ranking is in the same league as Antawn Scott, Vytas Danelius, Craig Dawson, Codi Miller-McIntyre, David Weaver, Trent Strickland, Carson Desrosiers,and Kevin Swinton (who was a really good recruit when we signed him).

Simply put, even if you think he's a stiff, recruiting analysts don't - not to mention the fact that he would have been better than Andre and Daniel, probably on day one, and definitely a full time starter (Viss-style) by his junior year - and he would have ranked as one of the best bigs that we've signed in the post-Prosser-era.

Kevin Swinton - that guy was amazingly overrated by the recruiting gurus. I can't think of a more disappointing recruit since I started following Wake basketball during the Staak years. I'm probably forgetting someone (maybe the kid who broke Laettner's HS scoring record).

Kevin Swinton - that guy was amazingly overrated by the recruiting gurus. I can't think of a more disappointing recruit since I started following Wake basketball during the Staak years. I'm probably forgetting someone (maybe the kid who broke Laettner's HS scoring record).

That's fine. Also not the point. You don't write off top-100 recruits, especially before you've seen them play (and unless Sig is hitting up the AAU scene, then he's straight up youtube-warrioring this one). We've had a handful of impact players over the past 20 years who weren't top-100 recruits. Most of our elite guys are ranked, whether the Haas-hating crowd thinks so or not, and losing a guy ranked as high as Haas hurts, no matter your layscouting perspective.

Haas not telling us he was still talking to other schools speaks as much to the relationship he had with Rusty and Bz as it does to his character.

Back