• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

James Johnson

"I'm sorry that you think those critiques are lazy. I agree with you about the AFA and Teague ones. Teague, especially, is ridiculous. I'm guessing that it's the same culture club who doesn't realize that he's blossomed into one of the leagues top point guards making most of those claims. Could be wrong, but that's my hunch."

I am in the "culture club", just want to see us play smart basketball - win AND win more than we should. Agree on Teague. He is my biggest beef with Dino. If Dino just gave him the ball, arguably the most talented team we ever had would not have crapped out in round 1.

Just stopping in to say that it is tough to take seriously the opinion of someone who calls basketball a "craft". It's playing a fucking game, not designing the Statue of Liberty. Carry on.

It's hard to take seriously someone who doesn't understand the simple use of conversational metaphor.

Or the specific definition of a word. Look it up.

No one would admit it but it is those kind of thoughts that lead to "culture change".
Thought the same thing about the "he made his money so he fulfilled his potential" kind of comments. They've been pretty common for a pretty long while now. A lot of Wake fans at least on here seem to settle for the $$ as the ultimate and almost sole goal, for both players and graduates in general. I don't remember that being the case when I was there.

I find it ironic on this thread that people are touting his one-of-a-kind athletic abilities for a player his size but at the same time some saying he maxed out his potential and acting like it was unrealistic to expect him to do better. I think a lot of people, myself included, felt that he had much greater potential in the NBA than he has shown because of that unique one-of-a-kind athletic ability. Maybe it just doesn't translate, but I think other more motivated people with the same athleticism would have done much better and found a way.

"I'm sorry that you think those critiques are lazy. I agree with you about the AFA and Teague ones. Teague, especially, is ridiculous. I'm guessing that it's the same culture club who doesn't realize that he's blossomed into one of the leagues top point guards making most of those claims. Could be wrong, but that's my hunch."

I am in the "culture club", just want to see us play smart basketball - win AND win more than we should. Agree on Teague. He is my biggest beef with Dino. If Dino just gave him the ball, arguably the most talented team we ever had would not have crapped out in round 1.

wait, what? Are you saying Teague is one of the top PG's in the league? Define 'top'......top 20?

I know JJ got in real good shape after his rookie year and thinned down. It's counter-intuitive to him because his "normal" weight is perfect for steel cage match fighting ;-) Anyway, he got in the best basketball shape of his life, walked into training camp and was traded to Toronto like a day later. I think it sort of deflated him. Toronto had a flawed roster with redundant players and then he got traded to Sacramento who also had a bunch of redundant players (until Sac gifted TRob and Francisco Garcia to Houston for a cheese sandwich). Anyway, he hasn't got any real breaks.

If I was OK City I'd bring him in. They don't need shooters and he might make a good option at the 4 if they need to go small ball in the playoffs. If I was the Bulls I might bring him back as they have I think two roster spots.

Thought the same thing about the "he made his money so he fulfilled his potential" kind of comments. They've been pretty common for a pretty long while now. A lot of Wake fans at least on here seem to settle for the $$ as the ultimate and almost sole goal, for both players and graduates in general. I don't remember that being the case when I was there.

I find it ironic on this thread that people are touting his one-of-a-kind athletic abilities for a player his size but at the same time some saying he maxed out his potential and acting like it was unrealistic to expect him to do better. I think a lot of people, myself included, felt that he had much greater potential in the NBA than he has shown because of that unique one-of-a-kind athletic ability. Maybe it just doesn't translate, but I think other more motivated people with the same athleticism would have done much better and found a way.

Whoa. Let's slow down on the hyperbole. LeBron James has a "unique one-of-a-kind athletic ability." James Johnson is a very good basketball player. But, let's not start acting like he's some phenom who didn't make it all because of some vague notion that's he's lazy. It's quite possible that he's like thousands of other players who are very good, very athletic, work hard, and just don't make it in the NBA for a variety of other reasons.

Whoa. Let's slow down on the hyperbole. LeBron James has a "unique one-of-a-kind athletic ability." James Johnson is a very good basketball player. But, let's not start acting like he's some phenom who didn't make it all because of some vague notion that's he's lazy. It's quite possible that he's like thousands of other players who are very good, very athletic, work hard, and just don't make it in the NBA for a variety of other reasons.

Are you implying there are a lot of 6'8" athletic guys in the nba?

We hashed out the "where does Teague rank" discussion in the offseason thread, IIRC. I'm not a huge fan of his game, but I think he'll have a good year.

Or Lillard, or Conley, or Lawson...

We hashed out the "where does Teague rank" discussion in the offseason thread, IIRC. I'm not a huge fan of his game, but I think he'll have a good year.

He's a good player, but PG is a loaded position. I don't know how you put him above one of those 8.

Along with others mentioned above, you can't put him over John Wall or Jrue Holiday either. Then there are a bunch of PGs that are debateable.

Back