• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe to Army?

This is a good point - you would think that. But, I never once remember Grobe saying what Clawson has already said: "Our vision is to win championships here" or ""The academics cannot be an excuse to not succeed. To me, it's a reason we will succeed."

I think Grobe was LOWF before he was even at WF.

During the interview he said that several friends and coaches were surprised that he was taking the Wake job 'because they didn't think he could never win there'.

You still think that?

I'm not saying one way or the other, but I will say that before Dave Glenn had Grobe on today, he was emphatic that Grobe "was not forced out." Went out of his way to make that point several times. Personally I still think it had to be a situation where Grobe was told he had to make staff changes that he didn't want to make and both parties decided it was best for him to resign.

During the interview he said that several friends and coaches were surprised that he was taking the Wake job 'because they didn't think he could never win there'.

I remember his first season remarking that some of his friends thought he was nuts for taking the Wake job.

Grobe is the epitome of LOWF. I really hate that he is doing these interviews and saying these things, its really going to taint his legacy with a lot of people.

Wait until he and Aaron Curry get matching Carolina ink.

Grobe didn't seem near as quick to say much about the Army job today when asked, I wonder if that means he knows he's already been ruled out?

I remember his first season remarking that some of his friends thought he was nuts for taking the Wake job.

Obviously, Jim helped change the perception, and Wake will never have to go back to those depths. At the same time, I have zero patience and tolerance for the LOWF crap - and that is the fundamental reason why I am happy that Grobe is gone. It's almost like Grobe backed into the success that he really didn't believe was ever possible.

Obviously, Jim helped change the perception, and Wake will never have to go back to those depths. At the same time, I have zero patience and tolerance for the LOWF crap - and that is the fundamental reason why I am happy that Grobe is gone. It's almost like Grobe backed into the success that he really didn't believe was ever possible.

I think he probably thought it was possible, just not sustainable on a consistent basis, which led us to needing someone to take us to the next step. Hopefully Dave Clawson is the guy to lead us to consistent success. Northwestern has gone to 7 bowl games in the last 10 years (no bowl this year though), so sustainable success is possible here if Northwestern has been able to put that type of run together.

Here is the article recapping today's interview and linking to the audio: http://www.accsports.com/articles/jim-grobe-interview-dec-19

Note the bolded quote from JG, which I'm...not in love with:

"When we went to Wake Forest, no one thought we could win," Grobe said.

"Most of my buddies thought that it was not a not a good job for me to take. They were afraid I wasn't going to make 5 years, let alone 13 years. So when we first went to Wake Forest, no one thought we could win. Then about half way through everybody realized we could win. Then over the past two or three years, a different thing has developed. It was almost a deal where you were expected to win and I'm not sure that is Wake Forest."

Here is the article recapping today's interview and linking to the audio: http://www.accsports.com/articles/jim-grobe-interview-dec-19

Note the bolded quote from JG, which I'm...not in love with:

He should think of a different way to word that.

I think we all get that while you CAN win at Wake, Orange Bowl trips and ACC Championships aren't necessarily a yearly expectation, at least not with the current state of the program. I think we could definitely get to that place, but it's not something that is the immediate result of one Championship season and an Orange Bowl berth. It will come in stages.

Grobe got us into and through stage one...and it seemed like for a couple of years he could get us into the next stage, but he clearly couldn't, and that's where the new blood and Coach Clawson will hopefully take us...to consistently reaching bowl games and competing for a Championship berth.

Last edited:
Weird for a coach who had 5 straight losing seasons and purportedly resigned on his own to say he was expected to win.

That one line says so much about Grobe and why he failed over the past 5 years. A program is built around what your lines do well. Pass blocking, drive blocking, cut blocking, etc. What works, is what you build around. With the defense, it's the same thing. If you have space eaters, you get lite, fast LBs to go sideline to sideline. If your DL is lite and athletic, get big LBs to take on the guards and send one of them to pressure the QB. We didn't follow this in any of the last few year except for '11. In that year, we lead in 12 of 13 games and should have won more than 6 of them. Clawson needs to build an OL around who we have, and find what will work using them. The DL is the weakest link on the team. We have 8 players for 3 or 4 positions, and only one above 275 lbs. He needs to go after as many DLs as possible because we really need them.

Last edited:
Weird for a coach who had 5 straight losing seasons and purportedly resigned on his own to say he was expected to win.

Totally agree Ph. . .The only thing I can think is that the dude is looking for a new gig and he has to try and put lipstick on the pig that is his record over the last five years to attract a new employer.

I don't hear this crap coming out of Franklin's mouth, Briles mouth, Cucliffe's mouth, Fitzgeralds' mouth, Shaw's mouth or even Bayliff's mouth. And until after he resigned, you never heard this crap come out of Grobe's mouth either.

As has been pointed out, very few of us expected to win. But if you are not trying and expecting to win every game, I just don't know what you are doing as a Head Coach.

This is starting to piss me off. It was not just the record. We played like dog shit much of the past five years and anyone with a basic knowledge of football knows much of it was coaching. That option bullshit was the last straw and a complete coaching blunder. We expect competence at wake.

This hurts grobe with me. Fuck him.

Lost a little respect for Grobe on this one. Seems like sour grapes and makes me all the more comfortable with his decision or "decision" to resign.

This is starting to piss me off. It was not just the record. We played like dog shit much of the past five years and anyone with a basic knowledge of football knows much of it was coaching. That option bullshit was the last straw and a complete coaching blunder. We expect competence at wake.

This hurts grobe with me. Fuck him.

I imagine we're hearing a lot of frustration in Grobe's voice on all the near misses. A couple field goals here and one or two less injuries there and he would have retired with a statue out in front of BB@T.

I imagine we're hearing a lot of frustration in Grobe's voice on all the near misses. A couple field goals here and one or two less injuries there and he would have retired with a statue out in front of BB@T.

I can't blame him. We were a field goal away from another ACC championship game. That has to weigh heavy on a man.

Man, Newman was just bad that year. What a dud of a senior season. I think our biggest problem was missing on just about every single kid from Jax after Skinner and JR. Very few of them turned into ACC talent.

The guy is unemployed and looking for a job. He ought to be able to present himself in the best possible light. I don't care what he says or thinks about WF because he's not our coach anymore.

Anybody who follows WF closely knows the staff underperformed (to say the least) for the last several years and that Wake pumped more into its sports facilities during Grobe's tenure than at any time in the modern era. "Facilities" were not the impediment to beating BC, ULM, Cuse, Duke, or Vandy this season. Losing those five games had nothing to do with whether or not our locker rooms are sufficiently blinged out to satisfy the typical recruit.

This recruits and facilities argument is unreal. Any outside observer would say Wake Forest has one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. Further they would say our football stadium is without peer for our size. When we have recruits visit does anybody really think we pick out the worst things about the Wake environment. It like someone comes to visit your house and you show them your junked up garage as a focal point. If you can't sell the entire Wake environment you suck at selling. There is much more to sell here than the size of a weight room. Some athletes are concerned with the size of the classroom. When I ran a sales force the worst of the worst were always bitching about what they did not have to sell instead of selling what they had.

Back