• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe to Army?

Most pathetic part is, there is no way Grobe had this BS LOWF mentality from 06-08, those were some damn good teams. It is clear that once we basically sucked in the years after that, he decided to lay the blame elsewhere (Wake being a tough place to win) rather than looking in the mirror and admitting that he and his (mostly) pathetic coaching staff just were not getting it done.

Hard to ask guys to play like their hair is on fire when it is pretty clear you weren't coaching that way.

Did Grobe say that? Clawson made it clear during the presser that he wanted to. But I can imagine that is low on the priority list given how many things he's trying to accomplish right now. Not to mention moving your entire family to W-S.

That was the right thing to say at the presser and actually the right thing to do. But after a few weeks of these interviews, I don't want Clawson talking to the bitter former coach who doesn't know how to win at Wake right now. I'd like to see Clawson and his staff go in clean with their own evaluation of players.

This media run makes me really appreciate that Odom went straight to SC, Caldwell left college football, and Dino went to broadcasting (possibly with some deal to stay quiet). It's not good to have former coaches going around bitching about who we can't win at Wake.

Most pathetic part is, there is no way Grobe had this BS LOWF mentality from 06-08, those were some damn good teams. It is clear that once we basically sucked in the years after that, he decided to lay the blame elsewhere (Wake being a tough place to win) rather than looking in the mirror and admitting that he and his (mostly) pathetic coaching staff just were not getting it done.

Hard to ask guys to play like their hair is on fire when it is pretty clear you weren't coaching that way.

That's what is hard to understand. Maybe he wasn't getting the support from the admin he needed, but it became evident he wasn't committed to making his staff the best it could be. I'm sure Lobo is a great guy and Grobe loves him and all, but you just can't keep a guy in that position for so long when what he is in charge of continually under performs.

I think Clawson could glean a lot from Grobe about the institution and players, and is smart enough to filter through any nonsense. Grobe still has some good insights about winning at Wake; he's just not spouting them publicly because he's in PR mode.

That was the right thing to say at the presser and actually the right thing to do. But after a few weeks of these interviews, I don't want Clawson talking to the bitter former coach who doesn't know how to win at Wake right now. I'd like to see Clawson and his staff go in clean with their own evaluation of players.

This media run makes me really appreciate that Odom went straight to SC, Caldwell left college football, and Dino went to broadcasting (possibly with some deal to stay quiet). It's not good to have former coaches going around bitching about who we can't win at Wake.

To be fair, that's basically what Grobe said when Glenn asked him about that. He said he was sure Clawson didn't need his input and the new staff would come in and figure things out.

Former coaches should be like former presidents. Grobe is doing himself no favors parading around like this.

Former coaches should be like former presidents. Grobe is doing himself no favors parading around like this.

Agreed. It's just a little strange for a guy who resigned to be going on shows and doing interviews like this. They don't make him look good to future employers and don't necessarily help promote his staff for jobs.

Maybe he thinks if he brings this up it might be easier for Clawson to get some things done, who knows? Comes across sounding too much like sour grapes for my taste though, especially when all we heard when he was coach was how great the administration was and how it couldn't have been any better to him. I mean I know when you're getting a paycheck you've got to maintain a certain tone, but it's almost a complete 180.

Grobe didn't hesitate to lavish praise on Ron Wellman after beating a soon to be 0-8 team at home.

Grobe didn't hesitate to lavish praise on Ron Wellman after beating a soon to be 0-8 team at home.

Like I posted before, that really smells like a situation where Wellman told him, "if we win, you've got to talk me up, so it will be like a middle finger to the failed banner attempt."

Maybe he thinks if he brings this up it might be easier for Clawson to get some things done, who knows? Comes across sounding too much like sour grapes for my taste though, especially when all we heard when he was coach was how great the administration was and how it couldn't have been any better to him. I mean I know when you're getting a paycheck you've got to maintain a certain tone, but it's almost a complete 180.

Maybe Grobe will donate to the billboard campaign!! :plos:

I mean if the admin was putting pressure on him to win 9 or 10 games a year, yeah I could see him getting tired of it, but we know that's not the case. We haven't had a winning season since 2008 for goodness sake.

Heck, you don't even have to do that to keep your job as a bball coach at Wake, much less in football.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Heck, you don't even have to do that to keep your job as a bball coach at Wake, much less in football.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Yeah, but RW has really upped the pressure on Bzzz this year, he told him he has to win at least 2/3's of our non conference games.

Yes, this is hard to figure - unless he then thought a winning season was still possible/likely, and if..... what happens for him? Yet, maybe should have stayed silent on the AD criticism after the 'resign'. Conflicting thoughts - since these comments are now out, maybe it does make Clawson's next moves easier.

This is a good point - you would think that. But, I never once remember Grobe saying what Clawson has already said: "Our vision is to win championships here" or ""The academics cannot be an excuse to not succeed. To me, it's a reason we will succeed."

I think Grobe was LOWF before he was even at WF.

Didn't hear the audio, but I followed along on Twitter and was disgusted by what I read. Clearly Grobe has no entrepreneurial spirit, which continues to be shocking given what he personally accomplished at Wake.

So Grobe was 46-39 his first seven years at Wake, and 31-43 his last six. I would be curious as to what he attributes that to given he had the same crappy facilities throughout.

So Grobe was 46-39 his first seven years at Wake, and 31-43 his last six. I would be curious as to what he attributes that to given he had the same crappy facilities throughout.

Cushy fans watching on a big video board?

Agreed. It's just a little strange for a guy who resigned to be going on shows and doing interviews like this. They don't make him look good to future employers and don't necessarily help promote his staff for jobs.

You still think that?

I guess the good thing is, even the most emphatic Grobe supporter has to agree that is was the right time for all involved for Wake Forest and Jim Grobe to part ways. Sounds like he was getting a little bit tired of being here and a lot of us were ready for some new blood on the sidelines. I will still view Jim Grobe very fondly, but all things end eventually and it was time and it's #ClawsIn baby!!!!

Back