• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe to Army?

I've never understood why they never initially built the Football Stadium on Campus when WFU moved to Winston-Salem. Basketball I can understand as teams didn't really play in an arena in the 1950's. Any of the historians know why that didn't happen? Seems like there was plenty of land.

Yes..seems like what's north campus today could have easily had space for the football stadium. On the other hand, definitely good to have that space for main campus. I would assume that was the thinking..to leave room for expansion.

Yes..seems like what's north campus today could have easily had space for the football stadium. On the other hand, definitely good to have that space for main campus. I would assume that was the thinking..to leave room for expansion.

It would've been nice if the football stadium could've been where the Soccer Stadium is today. Owell, another WFU shoulda-woulda-coulda moment. Duke, Vandy, Baylor (with the new stadium), & SMU all have on-campus stadiums. I think for a smaller school, it's a must. Bigger school- not so much.

It would've been nice if the football stadium could've been where the Soccer Stadium is today. Owell, another WFU shoulda-woulda-coulda moment. Duke, Vandy, Baylor (with the new stadium), & SMU all have on-campus stadiums. I think for a smaller school, it's a must. Bigger school- not so much.

Eh..a football stadium requires a lot more space than a soccer stadium..30k capacity versus 4k.

I agree it would have been nice though. It's really cool that SMU fit theirs on campus given how recently it was built..I think their campus is of similar acreage to ours but they have more students (and their real estate is much, much more valuable). They also have a lot of green space...difference is they don't have the forests that we do.

If you go back to the move, Wake actually left the Raleigh suburbs in the late 50's and played at Bowman Gray Stadium, in between races, for about a decade. Then Groves was built and opened in 1967. Not sure there really was enough room on campus for the planned academic campus and a football stadium and all the necessary parking with access. Also, the BB team was already playing at the old Coliseum, and the football stadium was built right across the street. The new stadium, in addition to the stadium and ancillary facilities footprint, would have needed at least 10,000 and probably closer to 15,000 parking spaces in addition to the existing on campus parking. That is a lot of space used for parking that would only be used for its primary purpose 3 to 5 times a year - college football teams only played 10 games.In 1964 and 1965, Wake only played three (3) home games each year. in 1966, and 1967 it was 4 each year. 1968, first year at Grove (now BB&T) it was five home games. So it made sense to share parking space with the coliseum.

I've hosted some of my UNC and NCSU fans over the years at our place, and they all enjoy the "game day experience" at Wake, particularly since the improvements to BB&T and the expansion of parking to the surrounding lots. At UNC there's nowhere to park and very limited tailgating; we'd be the same with an on-campus facility. With our having a 3 hour drive one way to W-S, even if we were a 10-win team every year we would not be a season ticket holder were it not for the tailgate scene.

We definitely have the best gameday experience in the Big Four. State is a close 2nd.

Our stadium is awesome now, I love it and take pride every time I walk in the place. Now it's time to start upgrading things the players use the most though, like the coming new weight facility, locker rooms, players lounges and meeting rooms, etc.

wish these interviewers would have the guts to ask him about his OC.

Damn. Duke's proposed stadium looks nice.

Duke has greatly upgraded their training, meeting, office, player's, etc. facilities for the football program and a major upgrade/expansion of Wally World is the last step. While we've upgraded Groves/BB&T, which we all love, the other facilities where the player and coaches spend the bulk of their time hasn't really been improved. Makes me wonder if we put the cart before the horse and I say that as someone who beams with pride every time I walk into Groves Stadium.

wish these interviewers would have the guts to ask him about his OC.

Yeah, I think what Grobe was saying was probably true, but it's not like he tried to improve things by getting rid of deadweight assistants.

I loved the "Your Name Complex" at Clemson. I can see Wake throwing some money into BB&T in a few years. But they dumped 8 mil into the coliseum and won't see a return on that place for some time.

Back