• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe

Not withstanding the 2006 season, Peahead's win at Knoxville in 1946 is probably the greatest football win in WF history.

The #4 Vols were undefeated when WF thumped them 19-6 in Big Orange Country....the worst home loss at the time in legendary Coach Bob Neyland's 15-year history at Tennessee.

I had missed the argument having been over "greatest win ever".

Meanwhile, Riley isn't playing ball. So, between having a non-NFL caliber QB as the key to our success, and a coach who hated the offense that actually brought him the most success, we were still able to have unprecedented results. That just provides more evidence that it can be done again.

It's not like we won because we had a once-in-a-lifetime phenom player and some of the absolute best coaches mankind as ever seen. What we did can be duplicated, and improved upon.

Not that he was a world beater, but Riley went to Giants camp, was offered the 3rd string QB position and turned it down.

Not that he was a world beater, but Riley went to Giants camp, was offered the 3rd string QB position and turned it down.

Is there a source for this or word of mouth? He turned down an NFL roster to get a head start on his ESPNU career? doubtful.

Did Skinner even play in a preseason game?

Is there a source for this or word of mouth? He turned down an NFL roster to get a head start on his ESPNU career? doubtful.

Didn't he do it to go into commercial real estate? I think the ESPNU gig is just part time for him.

Not to mention all the health concerns of being an NFL player without the big checks

The Giants had Manning, Sorgi, and Rhett Bomar going into the 2010 season and brought Riley in as UDFA. Riley was cut but then Sorgi got hurt for the year. They asked him back to compete with Bomar but he turned it down IIRC. They later released Bomar and brought in Sage Rosenfels and looks like they only kept 2 QBs (Sage and Eli).

I feel like Riley could have stuck somewhere and done well if given the chance but I'm a huge Riley homer.

I golf with a lot of Carolina and State grads who would take Grobe's tenure in an instant. They've said it many times. Dealing with Wake's and Duke's success in recent years just about has them on the ledge.

Agree.

The Giants had Manning, Sorgi, and Rhett Bomar going into the 2010 season and brought Riley in as UDFA. Riley was cut but then Sorgi got hurt for the year. They asked him back to compete with Bomar but he turned it down IIRC. They later released Bomar and brought in Sage Rosenfels and looks like they only kept 2 QBs (Sage and Eli).

I feel like Riley could have stuck somewhere and done well if given the chance but I'm a huge Riley homer.

That sounds about right. Anybody who buys the "Skinner turned down an NFL contract" bit doesn't understand how the NFL works. He would have had to play in the Preseason and earn a spot.

The truth

Grobe frustrated the hell out of me with his run on third and long/ punt strategy . But he was a very good coach for WFU. It was time for him to retire but I appreciate all that he did for MSD.

Riley told me that he preferred to take the sure thing (real estate financing gig) versus chasing the unknown. He was ready to get on with the rest of his life.

Riley had something a lot of QBs don't have. Four years as a starter and a championship. I can understand wanting to move on.

It's down-right comical that so many "Johnny-Come-Lately's" on this board cannot understand what an impossible job coaching Wake Forest football in the ACC is....especially this ACC. They ignore 60 years of history as if it means nothing.

What Jim Grobe was able to do during those three years from 2006 thru 2008....28 wins & three bowl games....was a once in a lifetime thing. Something akin to Halley's Comet, which comes around once every 76 years. Now, some people seem to think that this should be the standard for future WF football teams. Hilarious.

he also did a great job in '01 and '02 - Caldwell left him with great recruits. at least the jr and sr class. and those classes helped recruit the jr and sr that won the acc championship.

Riley had something a lot of QBs don't have. Four years as a starter and a championship. I can understand wanting to move on.

Not to mention a family business that owns half of Jacksonville.

Though it would be easy to see that as a motivator to pursue the NFL, since there were fewer financial concerns

Back