• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Wolford

Regardless of what's causing it, he is settling into the reputation of being a turnover machine.

Got to nip that in the bud while still a freshman.

I know there are a lot of tipped balls, hits while throwing etc., but at some point as these interceptions pile up...

For the record, I think he looks really promising and is doing yeoman's work back there considering he's playing behind this offensive line, but he has simply got to stop giving the ball away.

Why does his reputation matter and why does it need to be nipped in the bud?

The shovel pick was another slow developing play. The defense had plenty of time.

From ACC blog on ESPN: OUCH!

While Brissett avoided picks, Virginia Tech’s Michael Brewer keeps racking them up. Brewer threw two more against Western Michigan, giving him 10 for the year, which is tied with Wake Forest’s John Wolford for the most in the country.

* Speaking of Wolford, he threw three more picks Saturday, which Louisville turned into two touchdowns and a missed field goal. Overall, Wake Forest has allowed 59 points off turnovers this year, the third most by any Power 5 team. Those 59 points account for 59 percent of all the points the Demon Deacons have surrendered this season, third most of any team in the country.

From ACC blog on ESPN: OUCH!

While Brissett avoided picks, Virginia Tech’s Michael Brewer keeps racking them up. Brewer threw two more against Western Michigan, giving him 10 for the year, which is tied with Wake Forest’s John Wolford for the most in the country.

* Speaking of Wolford, he threw three more picks Saturday, which Louisville turned into two touchdowns and a missed field goal. Overall, Wake Forest has allowed 59 points off turnovers this year, the third most by any Power 5 team. Those 59 points account for 59 percent of all the points the Demon Deacons have surrendered this season, third most of any team in the country.

This is all I meant by him needing to nip that in the bud. I love the potential of Wolford, but right now he turns the ball over than all but one QB in the country. I understand that a lot of them are not necessarily his fault as they came off of tipped balls, dropped passes, etc. but at some point you have to admit you're not last in the country in turning the ball over just because of other players. (I am not implying that Wolford is blaming other players. I'm sure he's taking responsibility.)

I really want him to succeed, and hopefully not get himself killed playing behind this offensive line.

The only possible offense we have is in the passing game. Until we get blocking and a run game, passing will be a high risk endeavor; but, it is either pass, take a knee or go backwards. The only hope is throw the ball and HOPE the good guys catch it!

Is Wolford simply too short to be effective in the ACC? The line is an issue, but vision and release are up there too.

No = but a bad OL and no running game compounds the problem by compressing throwing lanes.

Wolford may turn out to be a four year starter, and he definitely isn't responsible for all the problems on offense. That being said, I don't think he's played as well the last two games as I might have expected. I think he starts against Syracuse, but I fear he's a bit overwhelmed right now.

overwhelmed? he has absolutely no help and no chance.

no line. no rbs and no wrs. so he feels like he has to press.

We all pretty much expected him to perform exactly as he has. Shown some promise, won 2 easier games, made a ton of mistakes,and get mauled by the #1 team in the country. And he's yet to show any negative emotion. Seems to me he's right on schedule. Doesn't mean job is automatically his for the next four years,but I think he's acquitted himself as well as he could given the OL and skill position deficits.

He's still has only 6 games in his career. He has no running game and has played against some good teams. He's turns the ball over for so many reasons, but he's learning the hard way. His height causes some problems and his teammates aren't much help. Has the OL improved at all this year? I'm talking the three underclassmen in the middle.

I don't know how you can judge anything based on the offensive line and (lack of) a running game

Give the kid a break. Would you line up behind our OL?

I'm actually impressed by his poise and demeanor. I think he's a good QB, but I think his size is a big detraction, especially when it comes to vision.

We desperately need some quality football players. I wish Clawson and staff the best of luck in recruiting them.

He's a good QB but he is making some poor decisions . The interception deep in WF territory was awful. As much as Grobe frustrated me with his conservative ways , WFU rarely lost the game with turnovers . Our defense is playing against both the opponent and our offense. I feel so bad for the D

I'm actually impressed by his poise and demeanor. I think he's a good QB, but I think his size is a big detraction, especially when it comes to vision.

This. He has to drop so far back to see that it would make it hard on a good o-line. We have a terrible one.

The kid is just a turnover machine. Give me Cameron as starter next game and see if he can make some magic happen. This cannot go on much longer coach.

Back