• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

Noah either needs to re-invent the show in a hurry or he needs to be replaced. He's trying too hard to be Jon Stewart instead of being something new.

Colbert's ratings aren't good either. Looks like Stewart got out at the right time.

Noah either needs to re-invent the show in a hurry or he needs to be replaced. He's trying too hard to be Jon Stewart instead of being something new.

I realize it sounds kind of "Trumpian" but putting a foreign newcomer in charge of a political satire show immediately before an election was a recipe for disaster. Their talent pool is deep wrt the correspondents but that's about the only positive thing I can say about the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colberts band sucks balls too. Just a weird combo, I'm sure they are great musicians but it's an awkward dynamic and he needs a band with more pop

I realize it sounds kind of "Trumpian" but putting a foreign newcomer in charge of a political satire show immediately before an election was a recipe for disaster. Their talent pool is deep wrt the correspondents but that's about the only positive thing I can say about the show.

Not Trumpian at all. I agree. They probably figured John Oliver did so well filling in that it wouldn't matter but Oliver had been in the states for awhile. I think he's married to an American as well.

Colberts band sucks balls too. Just a weird combo, I'm sure they are great musicians but it's an awkward dynamic and he needs a band with more pop
Yah, he should dance more like Ellen imo

This batch of correspondents is phenomenal, although I miss Jessica Williams' snark. And face. And rack.

That said, I think you'll see a pivot toward featuring the correspondents more, similar to the fake Olympics bit they used last week.

Never watched Wilmore's show as I don't have cable and never really watched late-night TV when I did, but my hunch is that he was a little too real for Comedy Central. His correspondents' dinner was spot on and perfectly delivered, but got panned because people weren't ready for that.

I liked LW himself but the panel part of his show really sucked. I didn't watch often but I'd guess that's what killed the show.

Here's a good article about what didn't work for The Nightly Show.
http://www.vox.com/2016/8/16/12502896/nightly-show-canceled-bad-roundtable

It hits at one thing that Wilmore tried to do that was good, but backfired in some episodes I watched. He gave unknown comedians, activists, pundits, and intellectuals a shot, but they often talked over each other because this was their big shot and maybe for some, their first time on TV. It diluted the influence any of them could make on their own.

Here's a good article about what didn't work for The Nightly Show.
http://www.vox.com/2016/8/16/12502896/nightly-show-canceled-bad-roundtable

It hits at one thing that Wilmore tried to do that was good, but backfired in some episodes I watched. He gave unknown comedians, activists, pundits, and intellectuals a shot, but they often talked over each other because this was their big shot and maybe for some, their first time on TV. It diluted the influence any of them could make on their own.

Woof, just watched the Bill Nye clip in that article. Unfunny douchebags mocking a guy's passion doesn't make for good TV.

No. Noah is THE problem. The format of the show is tried and true, and the correspondents are great. But Trevor is a bad, kiss ass interviewer, and his moralizing on American politics and other problems is obvious and lacks depth. I've seen 2 of his stand up shows, and he's legit funny. But not everyone who is funny and talented can pull off what Stewart did. I remember 1 time when Jason Jones and Sam Bee hosted when Stewart was sick or something, and they were pretty bad. But Bee was good as a reporter and I like her new show. I said at the time that the 2 people who could have pulled off hosting TDS were Oliver (who was great in his stint replacing Stewart) and maybe Wilmore. I think Wilmore can pull off the host part because I used to watch the 1st segment of his show before changing the channel, and he was fine doing that. The problem with his show was after that. It was the Bill Maher format, and I don't care to listen to comedians and stars comment on the issues du jour.

And yes, Colbert's new show isn't good either. I don't see how he's any better than Fallon, Conan, Ferguson or Kimmel in that format.

You'd think an election year could have buoyed these shows.

Not just any election year, either.

Any of Stewart/Colbert/Oliver could have had record ratings in CC's main two slots this year. HBO & the animals living on Stewart's sanctuary are the only real beneficiaries of their moves.

I think we've learned that Stewart had a shelf life and he left at the right time and that most of Stephen Colbert's appeal is the "Stephen Colbert" character. And all the people who turned down The Daily Show spot were right.

Back