• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Just watched Tyler Lewis

Right. It was such a mess Wellman signed him to a new contract, right before he turned around and fired him. I've been told by the Wellman supporters that he did that because he wanted to make sure we got the guys Dino was recruiting- the guys that the Wellman supporters now repeatedly tell us are the reason we can't fairly evaluate Bz because they're awful, bad apples, etc.

I've said it before but I thought they fired Dino so he wouldn't waste another top recruiting class again. And that class looks pretty similar to me to the one coming in for Bzz next year

So, to clear up what we're agreeing to disagree on, you are claiming that you knew the program was headed into the ground before Dino was fired?

So you really think if Dino was still the coach WF would be in any better shape?

And just to clarify I don't think Bz is a good coach, he still has a TON to prove. That said he is a huge step up from Dino IMO and is someone that is actually trying to build a program instead of a basketball pit stop for kids, which is something I care about.

It is of course possible, perhaps even probable, that Wellman told Dino to improve in the area of player discipline and it didn't happen.
October 15, 2009
Gaudio's contract extended: He gets new deal to be Wake Forest's basketball coach through 2013-14 season
"I think he's deserving of it," Wellman said. "His first two years were, I think, symbolic of what he can do for our program and with our program. He's done a good job in all phases of the program. If you look at the academic performance of our team, the athletic performance of our team, the recruitment, then he's done a good job in all areas.
Wake Forest, as a private school, is not required to release contract information. Wake Forest tax returns show that Gaudio made $788,000 in salary and deferred compensation in his first season of 2007-08, but there is no public record of his compensation for last year or the remaining five years on his contract.

If Dino is kept one more year all anyone would talk about is how he ran a really good program into the ground. Bzz is still cleaning up that mess.

Last year would have still been bad, but Dino would have won more than 8 games with his own players. For starters, he would have gotten a lot more out of Ari and JTT than BZZ did. The team also would have been alot better on defense, seeing as how that was one of Dino's strengths and Bzz's weaknesses.

As for your "pit stop for kids" comment, wtf are you talking about? No one knew that Jeff and JJ were good enough to leave early for the NBA. The only true 1&done talent that he recruited was AFA, and that was Skips recruiting class. People have this perception that because a couple of Skip/Dino's players left for the NBA, they were only recruiting one & done players, and that's completely false...and stupid.

But please, continue with your revisionist history.

Last edited:
April 7, 2010
"I met with Dino this afternoon and informed him that he would no longer be our basketball coach," said Wellman.

"Dino has made contributions to this program over the last 10 seasons. He stepped into a difficult situation at a very trying time when Skip Prosser passed away and he steadied the program.

"But from a competitive standpoint, it has been disappointing that we have developed a pattern of not playing well late in the season and in the postseason. Wake Forest has a proud history of basketball success but we have not been as competitive in the postseason as we would like."
http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040710aaa.html

It is of course possible, perhaps even probable, that Wellman told Dino to improve in the area of player discipline and it didn't happen.

Good thing the players have stayed out of trouble since Bzz came in.

BSF4life - do you think it's reasonable to expect Wellman to publicly berate Dino for discipline problems in the program (which are supposed to be kept private anyway)?

What Wellman said is just boiler plate. When someone is let go, you don't air personal issues. When you retain them you don't air reservations. Those matters are normally left private, if they can be, no matter how nosey the fan base is. Try reading between the lines of what is public in this whole story.

new g:

x2_6464a9d.jpg

crazy ex-wife:

nash_steve_400.jpg

Like trading in an 1997 Lincoln Town Car for a 2012 Jetta. Well played Steve Nash. I salute you.

Good analogy. The new G looks like she handles well.

If Bz leaves us with a bubble NIT team or even an NIT team, that's a worse perception than when he started. You can't compare Colorado pre-Bz and Wake pre-Bz. That's ridiculous.

Best post. I, for one, will not fall into the trap of lowered expectations, and the LOWF mantra. WFU was #1 in the country not too long ago and the program was headed in the right direction. If Bzz can't turn the ship around very soon, be competitve with ACC programs (in a very down ACC), and stop blaming the players, he needs to set sail.

BSF4life - do you think it's reasonable to expect Wellman to publicly berate Dino for discipline problems in the program (which are supposed to be kept private anyway)?
No. But I also don't think it's reasonable to sign a coach to a multi-year extension (after the Cleveland State fiasco), only to turn around and fire him within a matter of months (thus costing Wake what I think most reasonable people would assume was a considerable amount of money- though since Wake is a private school we'll probably never know just how much), and replacing him with a coach that had this record:
2007–08 Colorado 12–20 3–13 12th
2008–09 Colorado 9–22 1–15 12th
2009–10 Colorado 15–16 6–10 8th

Not only is it not reasonable, I think it's nuts and a grossly irresponsible waste of money. I know someone is going to chime in and say that the Dino contract extension was just for show and the buyout was peanuts- to which I say get real and start being reasonable.

What Wellman said is just boiler plate. When someone is let go, you don't air personal issues. When you retain them you don't air reservations. Those matters are normally left private, if they can be, no matter how nosey the fan base is. Try reading between the lines of what is public in this whole story.

Now you say it's "probable" that Wellman told Dino to "improve in the area of player discipline and it didn't happen." If these issues were out there and of such concern to Wellman, why sign Dino to the contract extension and then turn around and fire him? Do you think Wellman had been completely unaware of any issues before the contract extension? And if he was aware of some of these issues, was it responsible of him to sign Dino to that extension without first clearing them up and making sure the two of them were on the same page? Also, what do you think a reasonable person would assume the cost of the buyout was. One million? Two million? There must have been some truly serious "player discipline" issues to justify Wake paying out that kind of money.

So you really think if Dino was still the coach WF would be in any better shape?

Yes. I think we would have been better last year than we were under Bzz. We would also only be paying one coach, rather than two, and wouldn't look silly for having fired a coach shortly after giving him an extension. After last season, we could have fired Dino with plenty of reason (rather than the made up reasons we got two seasons ago) and looked much better to potential hires. As it stands now, we'll have to get rid of Bzz shortly, and other coaches are going to wonder whether it's a job worth taking.

In short, yes, I think we would have been much better off if we had kept Dino around for another year. Better results, more money in the bank, and a better looking job to potential hires than we'll have when we do get rid of Bzzz.

Yes. I think we would have been better last year than we were under Bzz. We would also only be paying one coach, rather than two, and wouldn't look silly for having fired a coach shortly after giving him an extension. After last season, we could have fired Dino with plenty of reason (rather than the made up reasons we got two seasons ago) and looked much better to potential hires. As it stands now, we'll have to get rid of Bzz shortly, and other coaches are going to wonder whether it's a job worth taking.

In short, yes, I think we would have been much better off if we had kept Dino around for another year. Better results, more money in the bank, and a better looking job to potential hires than we'll have when we do get rid of Bzzz.

Dino would probably not be down to 7 scholarship players, either. Doubtful any of these transfers would have happened.

Back to the original subject---- we should have offered Tyler Lewis.

I'd say that's yet to be determined. It seemed like a huge mistake that we passed on offering Bernard Sullivan, but he's been dreadfully awful for Klemp.

Back