• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Justin Gray ('06) Named Head Coach at Coastal Carolina

Saw a post of his on Instagram and he’s got an 8th or 9th grade son. Made me feel even older.

Good for Justin. He was in that dead end basketball operations gig at Wake. I’m glad he’s making his own path. Wish this had been Chills path.
DBO at a P5 basketball school is frequently a prelude to a coaching job.

DBO at a P5 basketball school is frequently a prelude to a coaching job.
I'm pretty sure he was "director of player development" at Wake, not DBO, and then went to work as an assistant coach for Kelsey at Furman.

Point was that he wasn’t going to get this kind of experience at Wake and I’m glad he moved and did this on his own.
When Justin left Wake Forest and choose to go to Winthrop to gain experience, I knew he was serious about a coaching career. That gained my respect. He appears to have the talent to succeed.

Western and Samford play Tuesday and both are top 10 in the country in active win streaks. That’s a huge low major game

He should be a nice name for a mid major after this year. No offense to Western but he needs to use this season as a platform to get to a better situation
If I had a good situation in Cullowhee, I’d probably stay there forever. But that Bryson City, Sylva, Cherokee, Cullowhee area is like my favorite place in the world.

If I had a good situation in Cullowhee, I’d probably stay there forever. But that Bryson City, Sylva, Cherokee, Cullowhee area is like my favorite place in the world.
Recreational now legal in Cherokee… if you’re into that sort of thing

I'm somewhat new to western NC. What do you love about it? It seems very rural but beautiful. Are you an outdoor enthusiast? I'm all ears to learn about new stuff out this way.

I'm somewhat new to western NC. What do you love about it? It seems very rural but beautiful. Are you an outdoor enthusiast? I'm all ears to learn about new stuff out this way.
Depends on the region of WNC. That area is ideal because it’s close to the GSMNP, Pisgah, and Nantahala. It’s a dream area for hiking, fishing, and kayaking.

If JGray can build and sustain a top 100 Kenpom team that finishes 1st or 2nd in the SoCon most seasons, he can be selective about what mid-major job he takes. He wouldn't need to take a rebuild job just to get out of Cullowee. He can wait to step into a good situation taking over for a mid-major coach who leaves for a high-major job.

Back