• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ladies and gentleman...the worst human ever

That seems to be what's hinted at in the article. Still, if he handles this the right way, it doesn't make national media. Like have a nice, long, face-to-face and talk about the options and situations. He just has to remember that in the grand scheme of things, the needs of his office kind of really do take a back seat to supporting his employee.

A great post.

On a side note, my wife is the clinical manager for an oral surgeon. There previous clinical manager was diagnosed with breast cancer several years ago and ended up having a double mastectomy. She had a couple rounds of Chemo and radiation after the surgery. The doctor worked the nurse schedule around her needs, even reducing the number of hours required for ft status to 30 (he was ahead of his time), so she could keep her health insurance. They kept close track of her hours and when she got close to falling off the ytd 30 hour requirement, he'd bring her in and schedule an additional nurse to compensate for her limited abilities, if needed.

shitty situation, but what's he supposed to do other than maybe fire her face to face like a real man

The article implies the firing is possibly to her benefit. Putting it in writing is either really stupid or intentional in order to help her. I hope it's the latter.

I have a friend who had a cancer scare and took a few weeks off work to get an operation and recover. Work was real helpful and encouraging and told her not to worry about her job, that she'd have one when she came back. When she came back, they told her they'd already hired a replacement. What made it even worse is that she worked in the leasing office of an apartment complex and lived in that complex. Since she was no longer an employee, she no longer got the discount on her rent.

I have a friend who had a cancer scare and took a few weeks off work to get an operation and recover. Work was real helpful and encouraging and told her not to worry about her job, that she'd have one when she came back. When she came back, they told her they'd already hired a replacement. What made it even worse is that she worked in the leasing office of an apartment complex and lived in that complex. Since she was no longer an employee, she no longer got the discount on her rent.

We had an HR rep get fired the day she returned from maternity leave. A few others quit in response to that one.

Turnabout is fair play. Plenty of women take the max maternity leave, then all their personal days, then quit.

Turnabout is fair play. Plenty of women take the max maternity leave, then all their personal days, then quit.

That's not the issue. FMLA specifically requires an employer to have your position, or a similar position, available to you after you take the max 12 weeks of maternity leave.

Let the record show that I knew I shouldn't have posted that, but did so anyway.

That's not the issue. FMLA specifically requires an employer to have your position, or a similar position, available to you after you take the max 12 weeks of maternity leave.

Sure, but that basically allows women who have no intention of coming back to work to game the system and get paid maternity leave, while their coworkers bust their asses for 12 weeks because they can't backfill the position.

Luckily, men can now also pull the paternity leave scam.

Sure, but that basically allows women who have no intention of coming back to work to game the system and get paid maternity leave, while their coworkers bust their asses for 12 weeks because they can't backfill the position.

Paid Maternity Leave? You mean using up their own vacation/sick time first before being on unpaid leave for the balance of the 12 weeks?

Yes. You have to bring your wife's half-healed episiotomy scar.

Back