• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LAST US POW RETURNED from the Taliban

One of these days, conservative talk radio is actually going to call jhmd back about one of his demo tapes. Unless the guy's voice sounds like a complete goon, he's got the material and stylings for it.

I'm way too good looking for Fox News. They couldn't afford me anyway.

my guess is that "served with honor and distinction" is a canned phrase that Rice has in her mental repertoire for talking about any soldier. She just couldn't get off her internal script and realize that this particular cock-up might require different verbiage. Good grief.

Read the whole quote. She's selling again.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

It really is laughable that rice is the one attempting to sell this. We have seen this movie before. Trotting out a false narrative doesn't work and it just makes people question the motive even more.

Just tell us the truth. Stop trying to sell a story.

It really is laughable that rice is the one attempting to sell this. We have seen this movie before. Trotting out a false narrative doesn't work and it just makes people question the motive even more.

Seriously? You think administration spokespeople should go out there and say what the guy said in the daily beast article? "Yeah, this was a really shitty situation. He was a deserter, and he sucks, but we still had to bring him back." Fox News would LOVE that

This was a no-win situation. They are spinning it as well as they can, which is exactly what you should expect (and probably what I would want them to do. Leave the truth-telling for other sources).

You mean telling a story that your former hero Gen. DAvid Petereaus helped write and approved? That's the person most in charge of Rice's former event.

My bad a little thing like the truth and proof of what happened is irrelevant to you.

What I do wonder is whether conservatives would play the Bergdahl card in either the VA scandal or when 2016 gets a little closer had we not done anything and basically written him off. Recognizing that Bergdahl has some serious issues to explain and answer for would likely not be enough of a deterrent to the right wing to help themselves from not trotting it out and waving the flag high and clear.

Seriously? You think administration spokespeople should go out there and say what the guy said in the daily beast article? "Yeah, this was a really shitty situation. He was a deserter, and he sucks, but we still had to bring him back." Fox News would LOVE that

This was a no-win situation. They are spinning it as well as they can, which is exactly what you should expect (and probably what I would want them to do. Leave the truth-telling for other sources).

You don't have to do that but you could have told a narrative more similar to what Irish said. Something like "leaving no one behind means leaving NO ONE behind. Once Bergdahl is safe and home there will be plenty of time to go through all the facts and determine what happened. Until then we will celebrate the fact that we no longer have any POWs in Afghanistan". There is absolutely no need to portray him as a hero and literally say he served with "honor and distinction". You don't have to trash him but you also don't have to go out of your way to portray him in a way that does not jive with the facts.

What I do wonder is whether conservatives would play the Bergdahl card in either the VA scandal or when 2016 gets a little closer had we not done anything and basically written him off. Recognizing that Bergdahl has some serious issues to explain and answer for would likely not be enough of a deterrent to the right wing to help themselves from not trotting it out and waving the flag high and clear.

The RW Ailes/Rove/Rush hate machine will. Bergahl would fade into nearly immediate obscurity otherwise.

As to the VA scandal, Jon Stewart did an excellent bit about last week. He showed how the same thing happened under Reagan in 83 and W. Sadly this is nothing new.

The only "new" aspect to this despicable problem is that it was made dramatically worse by the immoral and unnecessary Iraq War that added over 2M vets to the already overburdened system.

Forget it, he's rolling.

You don't have to do that but you could have told a narrative more similar to what Irish said. Something like "leaving no one behind means leaving NO ONE behind. Once Bergdahl is safe and home there will be plenty of time to go through all the facts and determine what happened. Until then we will celebrate the fact that we no longer have any POWs in Afghanistan". There is absolutely no need to portray him as a hero and literally say he served with "honor and distinction". You don't have to trash him but you also don't have to go out of your way to portray him in a way that does not jive with the facts.

This. I feel like the Obama defenders have a mental block. They rail against the Wellman spin machine and them defend it from the Obama administration. Telling the truth doesn't mean you have to tell everything.

You can say "we don't have all the facts. We are glad to have our soldier home. There are conflicting reports over what happened and we will get to the bottom of it". That is telling the truth without exposing yourself politically.

When you make up a false narrative, that is lying not spinning. When Wellman says he couldn't be happier and that we are on the right track, that was lying not spinning. When rice trots out another obvious false narrative, that is lying not spinning. It would be funny if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Daily show or snl should be all over this. Would make for a great bit.

This. I feel like the Obama defenders have a mental block. They rail against the Wellman spin machine and them defend it from the Obama administration. Telling the truth doesn't mean you have to tell everything.

You can say "we don't have all the facts. We are glad to have our soldier home. There are conflicting reports over what happened and we will get to the bottom of it". That is telling the truth without exposing yourself politically.

When you make up a false narrative that is lying not spinning. When Wellman says he couldn't be happier and that we are on the right track that was lying not spinning. When rice trots out another obvious false narrative that is lying not spinning. It would be funny if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Do you know what "narrative" she was spinning besides one "honor and distinction" line? Did she spin it out beyond that?

One problem here is that you're equating a deserter with a POW. Now we can argue/discuss at the military legal process and at just what point someone becomes a deserter "officially," but in my book, when your fellow soldiers look around and see you walking off into the light of a Taliban sunset waving bye-bye, you're kind of surrendering the protections they're fighting to keep safe.

Partisans make stupid statements all the time. When Runny resigned, Cheney said Rummy was the best Defense Secretary in American history. Nobody, including Cheney and Rummy, believed that at the time. Rice made a stupid statement. Think it's ridiculous to say we should have left Bergdahl with the Taliban. Good luck to any pol trying to push that line in 2014 or 2016. Don't have a problem with Bergdahl facing a military investigation once he's fully recovered.

When you make up a false narrative, that is lying not spinning. When Wellman says he couldn't be happier and that we are on the right track, that was lying not spinning. When rice trots out another obvious false narrative, that is lying not spinning. It would be funny if it wasn't so ridiculous.

No you don't say that about a US soldier who has been held for five years. If you do, then every soldier worries about saying that about them if they captured.

As Irish and many other vets have said, this isn't about Bowe Bergdahl. It's about a core military principle.

Your blind hatred of Obama obscures any rational thoughts you might have.

Partisans make stupid statements all the time. When Runny resigned, Cheney said Rummy was the best Defense Secretary in American history. Nobody, including Cheney and Rummy, believed that at the time. Rice made a stupid statement. Think it's ridiculous to say we should have left Bergdahl with the Taliban. Good luck to any pol trying to push that line in 2014 or 2016. Don't have a problem with Bergdahl facing a military investigation once he's fully recovered.

The way it sounds if he doesn't have a fatal disease, there will be an investigation.

Let me clarify- I don't think we leave him there but I also thought the Hornets trading Kobe was a bad idea. You don't give away the bank for a few pennies. And I have issues with equating Bergdahl and the way he became a POW with the way most American POWs have gained that circumstance. I think we get his ass back here without sending high-ranking, high-risk leaders back to the enemy, then try his ass. If they want to go easy on him because- let's face it- 5 years with a group of pathological psychotics wasn't a vacation- then we do it here, in a military court.

And for the record, Cheney and Rumsfeld have voiced some insane thoughts which, had they not been in their positions of power, would be more funny than frightening.

No you don't say that about a US soldier who has been held for five years. If you do, then every soldier worries about saying that about them if they captured.

As Irish and many other vets have said, this isn't about Bowe Bergdahl. It's about a core military principle.

Your blind hatred of Obama obscures any rational thoughts you might have.

I kind of like Obama honestly. Has an awesome wife. Loves basketball. Seems really laid back. Brews beer. I mean what's not to like? He just sucks at his job.

Back