• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lefites playing dirty (BKF should be happy)

Assuming Steve Schmidt and the movie Gamechange are accurate, McCain and his team realized they were likely to lose if he picked another boring white guy. Bad year to be the Pub candidate - banks were failing, the economy was starting to tank and you had a fresh new face on the other side who was generating excitement. They believed they had to generate some excitement to get back into serious contention and swung for a home run instead of hitting a single. Then had a miscommunication with the vettors, and the rest is history.

Not to mention the standard set by Romney's own father.

Part of me thinks Romney might be squeeky clean on this but is waiting for the opportune time (post convention??) to drop them. His poll numbers are doing just fine in spite of the tax return issue and he might be saving it as something to give him a bump.

Could be, but I doubt it. If he releases them late in the game, and they're clean, people will just be asking whyTF didn't hr release them earlier. And at the very least, sounds like something is wrong with the IRA. My financial guy has always told me you can't put more than something like $35K/yr in an IRA, but Romney already has accumulated $60-100mil in his?

Tax returns are the new birth certificates. What a fun world we live in.

One we knew was false (and we knew it). The other was created by the candidate that could have been fixed it.

Romney has so much money that there's bound to be at least a million or two that looks shady. Once the records are out, they can't control the story.

Tax returns are the new birth certificates. What a fun world we live in.

No, the tax returns are a legit issue. As was mentioned earlier, it's tradition that every nominee release multiple years of returns, and conservative pundits have been urging him to release them. T'ain't nothing wrong with being rich, and though he may have started on 3rd base, Romney has done quite well for himself. But if he's been doing funny things on his returns to evade paying what he should be, it would be a pretty damning character issue. Let's turn back the clock to 2004. Kerry was quite the rich dude. Had he not released his returns, everyone and their mother would have been yelling at him to do so as well.

Lot of bullshite going on in both campaigns so far, but this is a legit area of inquiry.

No, the tax returns are a legit issue. As was mentioned earlier, it's tradition that every nominee release multiple years of returns, and conservative pundits have been urging him to release them. T'ain't nothing wrong with being rich, and though he may have started on 3rd base, Romney has done quite well for himself. But if he's been doing funny things on his returns to evade paying what he should be, it would be a pretty damning character issue. Let's turn back the clock to 2004. Kerry was quite the rich dude. Had he not released his returns, everyone and their mother would have been yelling at him to do so as well.

Lot of bullshite going on in both campaigns so far, but this is a legit area of inquiry.

Is there any evidence that he's done anything wrong? Not responding to inquiries doesn't count. That's where the birther comparisons arise. Especially when Harry Reid comes out and makes a baseless claim like "Romney hasn't paid any taxes in ten years because he won't release his tax records". It's no better than "Obama was born in Kenya because he won't release his birth certificate".

It's 180 degrees from birthers. Obama HAD provided his birth certificate. Romney HAS NOT provided his tax returns.

You can't be much more different.

Romney has so much money that there's bound to be at least a million or two that looks shady. Once the records are out, they can't control the story.

Is there any evidence that he's done anything wrong? Not responding to inquiries doesn't count. That's where the birther comparisons arise. Especially when Harry Reid comes out and makes a baseless claim like "Romney hasn't paid any taxes in ten years because he won't release his tax records". It's no better than "Obama was born in Kenya because he won't release his birth certificate".

Reid takes it into birther territory by suggesting he's done something illegal or extreme. But wondering if he's shady is fine. Tax returns are pretty mild. It's his official record and what he was willing to report.

Reid takes it into birther territory by suggesting he's done something illegal or extreme. But wondering if he's shady is fine. Tax returns are pretty mild. It's his official record and what he was willing to report.

Right. Speculation and cynicism are fine. Propagating things you know to be false for political purposes is pretty weak. Especially when you are the Senate majority leader, and not some nutjob like Michele Bachmann.

Could be, but I doubt it. If he releases them late in the game, and they're clean, people will just be asking whyTF didn't hr release them earlier. And at the very least, sounds like something is wrong with the IRA. My financial guy has always told me you can't put more than something like $35K/yr in an IRA, but Romney already has accumulated $60-100mil in his?

The maximum Mitt could have put aside during his Bain tenure was $450,000. That somehow grew to between $21 Million and $102 Million. The offshore accounts in Switzerland and the Caymans seem ridiculous for someone running for President. Same thing with the company in Bermuda he signed over to his wife. Romney's "defense" is that the American people don't need to see this and he doesn't want to give the DNC any ammo. If he's squeaky clean, just release 7 years (same as Obama) and move forward.

Rick Perry released a book a year before he ran in which he advocated getting rid of direct election of Senators. Extremely odd that he didn't think he would be running for President within the year and that ceding more power to elected officials wasn't exactly in vogue. One of the few areas where there's bipartisan agreement is closing tax loopholes. Mitt has a whole lot of liabilities (MA job creation, Obamacare, tax loopholes) that don't play well for anyone. At least he's got the prancing horse in the Olympics demonstrating he's just a regular Joe Sixpack.

I'm just guessing... but if I was a betting man I would bet Romney has seen an audit or two in his life. This issue is stupid. The embarrassment happens when you see Biden's return and his donations to charity. If the IRS says Romney is okay then what business is it to the libs grasping for anything to make hay out of?

But if you want to play the game then let Obama unseal his college records, particularly his applications...

Right. Speculation and cynicism are fine. Propagating things you know to be false for political purposes is pretty weak. Especially when you are the Senate majority leader, and not some nutjob like Michele Bachmann.

Why are you posting on this topic? You told me ten days ago there would be no drip, drip, drip of this story, as I predicted.

Why are you posting on this topic? You told me ten days ago there would be no drip, drip, drip of this story, as I predicted.

It's still not an issue. I will admit to being wrong about one thing, though. Harry Reid lighting his own hair on fire and making an ass of himself has kept it in the news. Not sure that's going to be a positive for Democrats, though.

There is still no drip. Has anything else come out with regard to his tax returns, aside from the leader of Congressional Democrats blatantly lying about them?

The equivocation of the tax return issue to the birth certificate issue is a desperate stretch.

The equivocation of the tax return issue to the birth certificate issue is a desperate stretch.

I'm not equivocating the issues, although I don't see why it is a stretch to do so. I'm equivocating the tactics.

You don't think that if there had been reasonable doubt that Obama wasn't born in the country, that that would be a pretty important issue to voters? The Democrats have just as much evidence that Mitt Romney has committed tax fraud as the birthers did that Obama wasn't born in America. None.

Last edited:
Except it's not about tax fraud except for Reid and I addressed that.

And it is common for candidates to release their tax returns.

It looks like conservatives are trying to build a narrative that the Dems are pressing this issue because they're picking on Romney because he's rich as if that is the only reason and that is unfair. They can build a false equivalency to the birther issue in which Obama was picked on solely because of his heritage.

Of course, we know that it's standard for candidates to release several years of tax returns and it's a standard Romney's own father helped to set.

Last edited:
I'm not equivocating the issues, although I don't see why it is a stretch to do so. I'm equivocating the tactics.

You don't think that if there had been reasonable doubt that Obama wasn't born in the country, that that would be a pretty important issue to voters? The Democrats have just as much evidence that Mitt Romney has committed tax fraud as the birthers did that Obama wasn't born in America. None.

False. Obama's U.S. birth is easily provable. All it takes is a simple internet search of a newspaper posting, and if not that, a governmental birth certificate released to the public. Romney's returns are all private, and will remain that way until he sees the light.

Back