• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lefites playing dirty (BKF should be happy)

Right. Speculation and cynicism are fine. Propagating things you know to be false for political purposes is pretty weak. Especially when you are the Senate majority leader, and not some nutjob like Michele Bachmann.

Wow, you use the scare/lie/negative shit the Pubs have used for years on them and they shrivel up into scared pussies. Jessie Helms did this for years and no one said anything. Harry Reid "suggests" something and its time to call the teacher to tell on someone.

False. Obama's U.S. birth is easily provable. All it takes is a simple internet search of a newspaper posting, and if not that, a governmental birth certificate released to the public. Romney's returns are all private, and will remain that way until he sees the light.

So what? Just because he hasn't released them that doesn't give anyone any reason to suspect that he is guilty of tax fraud.

Except it's not about tax fraud except for Reid and I addressed that.

And it is common for candidates to release their tax returns.

It looks like conservatives are trying to build a narrative that the Dems are pressing this issue because they're picking on Romney because he's rich as if that is the only reason and that is unfair. They can build a false equivalency to the birther issue in which Obama was picked on solely because of his heritage.

Of course, we know that it's standard for candidates to release several years of tax returns and it's a standard Romney's own father helped to set.

I only used the birther comparison with regard to Reid, and you know this. Not sure why you keep suggesting otherwise.

Oh man...sort of unrelated, but I didn't want to start a new thread. I just saw a fantastic commercial lamenting that nobody has PHYSICALLY seen the Obama birth certificate or college transcripts, and then gives a website to sign a petition to "force" the democrats to choose a different nominee. I almost fell in the floor laughing. Are these people serious? I knew this election would go to levels of absurdity never seen before, but this could become really entertaining.

So what? Just because he hasn't released them that doesn't give anyone any reason to suspect that he is guilty of tax fraud.

Did Reid accuse him of tax fraud? Did he use the word "fraud"? If so, I missed it. With his offshore accounts, etc., I'm sure Mitt could find a way to legally pay little or no taxes and not engage in tax fraud.

And why doesn't his failure to release when everyone else has not provide a valid reason to suspect Mitt is doing something fraudulent? Makes me suspect it.

Also, this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/25/mitt-romney-taxes-tim-geithner_n_1703133.html

"In the early days of his confirmation process, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner faced heaps of criticism over reports of his failure to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes while working at the International Monetary Fund. Among those calling for more transparency from Geithner and saying the reports were disqualifying was Mitt Romney.

"[H]e's a person of accomplishment and skill. I think he's a very bright individual and obviously we're learning as much as we can about his tax dealings in the past and his level of integrity," Romney said of Geithner during an appearance on "Fox and Friends" on Jan. 15, 2009. "I think it's appropriate for the committee to really delve into this matter. If they find it was an honest mistake, then I think he should be confirmed. If, on the other hand, they find that there was deliberate tax evasion, that's a very different matter. Then a person would not be qualified. I certainly hope it turns out just to be an honest mistake."

"I think in the case of Tim Geithner, it's an important issue," he would tell CNBC later that day. "The committee ought to take a close look at it. If he was found to have been deliberately evading taxes, why, that would be a disqualifying feature. But if, instead, it were found to be an honest mistake on his part, then I think he ought to be confirmed."

Last edited:
Harry Reid is basically using the "Craig James Killed 5 Hookers" attack method on Willard.

Did Reid accuse him of tax fraud? Did he use the word "fraud"? If so, I missed it. With his offshore accounts, etc., I'm sure Mitt could find a way to legally pay little or no taxes and not engage in tax fraud.

And why doesn't his failure to release when everyone else has not provide a valid reason to suspect Mitt is doing something fraudulent? Makes me suspect it.

Also, this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/25/mitt-romney-taxes-tim-geithner_n_1703133.html

"In the early days of his confirmation process, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner faced heaps of criticism over reports of his failure to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes while working at the International Monetary Fund. Among those calling for more transparency from Geithner and saying the reports were disqualifying was Mitt Romney.

"[H]e's a person of accomplishment and skill. I think he's a very bright individual and obviously we're learning as much as we can about his tax dealings in the past and his level of integrity," Romney said of Geithner during an appearance on "Fox and Friends" on Jan. 15, 2009. "I think it's appropriate for the committee to really delve into this matter. If they find it was an honest mistake, then I think he should be confirmed. If, on the other hand, they find that there was deliberate tax evasion, that's a very different matter. Then a person would not be qualified. I certainly hope it turns out just to be an honest mistake."

"I think in the case of Tim Geithner, it's an important issue," he would tell CNBC later that day. "The committee ought to take a close look at it. If he was found to have been deliberately evading taxes, why, that would be a disqualifying feature. But if, instead, it were found to be an honest mistake on his part, then I think he ought to be confirmed."

There is no way Romney could have payed a 0% effective tax rate over the last ten years. It's just impossible. So yes, he's accusing Romney of tax fraud. And no, his failure to release his records do not provide a valid reason to suspect he's been doing something fraudulent. It provides a valid reason to believe that there is a reason that Mitt Romney doesn't want to release his tax records.

There is no way Romney could have payed a 0% effective tax rate over the last ten years. It's just impossible. So yes, he's accusing Romney of tax fraud. And no, his failure to release his records do not provide a valid reason to suspect he's been doing something fraudulent. It provides a valid reason to believe that there is a reason that Mitt Romney doesn't want to release his tax records.

So release the records and show that Reid's sources are lying. I'm sure he didn't pay a 0% effective tax rate over the last ten years -- I'm sure you're right. Just release the records.

And, sorry, you're just flat out wrong on whether it's suspicious.

Just because there's nothing illegal or fraudulent in there doesn't mean there isn't something he doesn't want people to see.

So release the records and show that Reid's sources are lying. I'm sure he didn't pay a 0% effective tax rate over the last ten years -- I'm sure you're right. Just release the records.

And, sorry, you're just flat out wrong on whether it's suspicious.

Because it would be politically damaging and everyone already knows Reid and his "source" are full of shit? The burden of proof is not on him.

As for whether it is suspicious or not, that's for everyone to determine on an individual basis. I'm not shocked that you find it suspicious, just as I'm sure you're not shocked that I don't find it suspicious. As for the question of whether or not there is actually a valid reason to suspect that he has done something wrong, no, there is not. Tell me, do people have a valid reason to believe that Craig James killed five hookers because he won't deny it? Do people have a valid reason to believe Donald Rumsfeld is a lizard because he won't deny it? Failure to respond to baseless charges does not entail guilt, or cause for any reasonable suspicion of guilt.

Nobody has accused Romney of doing anything wrong.

The most basic question becomes- Why would he give McCain twenty-three years of returns to become VP, but only release two when he's on the top of the ticket?

Oh man...sort of unrelated, but I didn't want to start a new thread. I just saw a fantastic commercial lamenting that nobody has PHYSICALLY seen the Obama birth certificate or college transcripts, and then gives a website to sign a petition to "force" the democrats to choose a different nominee. I almost fell in the floor laughing. Are these people serious? I knew this election would go to levels of absurdity never seen before, but this could become really entertaining.

Could somebody explain what the "issues" with Obama's transcripts are? Harvard has never disputed that he graduated magna cum laude or that he was President of the Law Review. Constitutional scholar Laurence Tribe (who also taught Romney) has called Obama the best student he ever had. Affirmative action doesn't apply to private schools-the Supreme Court cases have involved UC Davis Med School, University of Michigan, and the University of Texas. Nobody wants to give sixth round pick Tom Brady's MVPs to first rounder Ryan Leaf, so what's the issue with Obama's transcripts?!?

Especially when it's customary to release your returns. When releasing your tax returns is the customary thing to do, and you vehemently and stubbornly refuse to do it, it creates questions. Romney has nobody to blame for this but himself, he created this circus.

Because it would be politically damaging and everyone already knows Reid and his "source" are full of shit? The burden of proof is not on him.

As for whether it is suspicious or not, that's for everyone to determine on an individual basis. I'm not shocked that you find it suspicious, just as I'm sure you're not shocked that I don't find it suspicious. As for the question of whether or not there is actually a valid reason to suspect that he has done something wrong, no, there is not. Tell me, do people have a valid reason to believe that Craig James killed five hookers because he won't deny it? Do people have a valid reason to believe Donald Rumsfeld is a lizard because he won't deny it? Failure to respond to baseless charges does not entail guilt, or cause for any reasonable suspicion of guilt.

If there was a U.S. Senator citing allegedly reputable sources claiming that Craig James killed five hookers, Craig James denied it (as Mitt has denied not paying taxes), and documents existed that Craig James could release that would immediately put the issue to bed (and that everyone else in Craig James's position had released under similar circumstances), I would defs be suspicious that Craig James actually killed five hookers if he refused to release those documents -- and Craig James would be an idiot not to release those documents if he really didn't kill those hookers.

In other words, Craig James killed 5 hookers.

I'd also like to point out that Harry Reid knows exactly what he's doing. This is all anyone is talking about today, not the fact that unemployment increased to 8.3% this month...

I'd also like to point out that Harry Reid knows exactly what he's doing. This is all anyone is talking about today, not the fact that unemployment increased to 8.3% this month...

Good point.

Good point. He's still an a$$ for doing it, but you're prolly right that it was a diversion right before an econ announcement that they thought might contain bad news.

Good point. He's still an a$$ for doing it, but you're prolly right that it was a diversion right before an econ announcement that they thought might contain bad news.

If Reid's an ass for doing this, what is Romney for intentionally lying over and over on the stump about Obama's "you didn't built it comment"?

It's hilarious that people are making hay about an increase from 8.2% to 8.3%. That's more than likely a shift of less than half a point, well inside the margin of error even for such a large survey.

Back