• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lobbyists Call Charlotte '2nd Tier City'!!!!1!

Yeah, DC's height restrictions are one of its best features. I love that it IS a big city and cultural hub but doesn't suffocate you.

Yeah, DC's height restrictions are one of its best features. I love that it IS a big city and cultural hub but doesn't suffocate you.

It's not really big, and it's the furthest thing from a cultural hub. It's embarrassing that a country like the USA has such a crappy capital. London, Tokyo, Paris, Rome, Moscow... those are top tier world capitals. DC is the homeless man's version of one.

It's not really big, and it's the furthest thing from a cultural hub. It's embarrassing that a country like the USA has such a crappy capital. London, Tokyo, Paris, Rome, Moscow... those are top tier world capitals. DC is the homeless man's version of one.

way to piss on the parade ;)

you're right, though; it totally sucks on a global scale. it's also hundreds of years newer than all of the cities you mention- that's a pretty big obstacle to overcome in trying to be 'cool'.

They are completely different cities with completely different aesthetics. DC would look awful and be ruined by growing tall. DC has concerns other cities don't since it is the nation's capitol- you would ruin the force and aura of the Capitol building, white house, washington monument, etc. if you started throwing up skyscrapers nearby.

I like that DC is more like European cities.

Cities are for living. Your "European" (Parisian, to be specific) views come at a really high cost to the least-represented people in our political system. It's nuts. This is something you feel good about? More affordable rents would "ruin" DC?

way to piss on the parade ;)

you're right, though; it totally sucks on a global scale. it's also hundreds of years newer than all of the cities you mention- that's a pretty big obstacle to overcome in trying to be 'cool'.

Paris is technically younger than DC, if you consider all of Haussmann's knocking down and rebuilding of the city.

I love north Carolina but Charlotte is a third tier city at best. Its like the Dave and Busters of American cities. Culture, economy, population, and character is what makes a city. New York is in a league of its own in all of these categories. Then I'd go with Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Philly, La, dc. Everyone else comes in behind these guys.

They are completely different cities with completely different aesthetics. DC would look awful and be ruined by growing tall. DC has concerns other cities don't since it is the nation's capitol- you would ruin the force and aura of the Capitol building, white house, washington monument, etc. if you started throwing up skyscrapers nearby.

I like that DC is more like European cities.

i do like this aspect. it feels far more euro. i hate the sprawl though.

dc is seriously on the opswing now culturally and economically (ie getting away from just being govt work).

dc is seriously on the opswing now culturally and economically (ie getting away from just being govt work).

Gentrification, baby. There are cool areas now that were pretty shitty and dangerous not long ago. Used to be that people with good jobs in DC worked in the District but lived in NoVa or Bethesda. Now, there are great places to live right in DC. I'll be living at 18th and T in two weeks...

yup yup. the whole 14th st corridor and h st corridor are awesome and werent even in existence 5 years ago.

Let's be serious - T1 is just the elite, world cities in the US. GTFO of here with your Houstons.

T1 - NYC, LA, Chicago. That's it. The whole list. And if you say DC belongs on this list, I'll neg rep you to eternity and back.
T2 - DC, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia
T3 - bunch of other cities. this is where your Houstons, Seattles, Atlantas and the like go.

You're like the third or fourth person to put SF T2...that's fucking insane. New York and San Fran are really the only "world cities" in the US....LA and Chicago belong in T1 as well, but SF blows them both away

You're like the third or fourth person to put SF T2...that's fucking insane. New York and San Fran are really the only "world cities" in the US....LA and Chicago belong in T1 as well, but SF blows them both away

What makes sf si much more of a world city than la or chi?

I like the idea that none of us have ever been to Philly, yet it is some kind of world class city even though no one visits. Philly blows, and yes I have been there.

Oh man here comes the la and chi defender

Nah I'm just curious. I love SF and would live there over both Chicago and LA, but it's not bc I think it's more of a world city. I actually like it t is a bit more manageable than the other two.

What makes sf si much more of a world city than la or chi?

SF is the hub to this century's most important industry. It has Chicago beat in climate and location....It has LA beat in scenic and architectural beauty, transit, and economic relevance. All three are comparable in cost of living, but you'll get paid more in SF. The location can't be understated. Chicago and SF are comparable in food and culture and both are ahead of LA.

Back